gunit130 Guest

Electronics and the Ski Industry

Where do you think the line needs to be drawn? if at all...

nowadays we've got every toolbag with a gopro on his/her head.

Soon you'll have GPS goggles all over the place.

We've already got iPhone apps for trail maps and "checking-in" with epic mix on your facebook account. Headphones and iPods.... bluetooth in the helmet, on and on.

I think in the near future resorts will maximize efficiencies using technology which will probably be fine, but I think it's when the resort consumer really gets out-of-control with tech in the field-- that's when shit is gonna get dangerous.

I won't be happy til I get the anti-gaper laser beams on my my helmet and skis...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I've got you both beat. My new gogs show gapers as solid flagged gates. We know what they are used for.
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

As someone who's vision is fading (normal age related) I would actually say we're inexcusably overdue for night vision enhanced goggles for low light conditions.

Death ray lasers sound cool, but think of the impact on snow conditions

The line should be drawn somewhere between every gaper having a gopro and the bluetooth headset in the helmet/video screen showing trail map in the googles.

Certain technologies will be very beneficial in ease of lift tickets and never having to go to a ticket window. More resorts will do what solitude does, and prob give you some sort of way to find out all the stats of the lifts you went on and the total vertical skied that day. That sort of stuff. There was an article in freeskier or powder about lift ticket technology and electronic ticketing things, although I cant remember about the specifics, but it had a few interesting things from europe that we dont do here.

Electronic whistles.

I heard some company was going to be installing electric sensors INSIDE of your skis that detect and control vibration damping through sympathetic frequencies. There will be little red and green LED lights on the top sheets that will alert you (and everyone on the chair lift) that you, and only you, have access to this groundbreaking technology. It's going to change skiing FOREVER.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I heard some company was going to be installing electric sensors INSIDE of your skis that detect and control vibration damping through sympathetic frequencies. There will be little red and green LED lights on the top sheets that will alert you (and everyone on the chair lift) that you, and only you, have access to this groundbreaking technology. It's going to change skiing FOREVER.
    Sounds magical. Lets make sure the Chinese don't get their paws on that technology!
    "Life's not a bitch. Life's a beautiful woman. You only call her a bitch 'cause she won't let you get that pussy." - Aesop

Bugs the shit out of me. I don't even like to carry my phone while I'm skiing, but I oblige to do so for safety reasons. I don't listen to my ipod while I'm skiing and it bugs me if I am with people that do....and I use a contour hd, not a gopro.

just be glad they are not blasting advertisements over a loud speaker at you on the lift. I ski with a gopro, ipod, phone, and think epicmix is kind of cool.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

how about a jacket that heats up ur nipples with color coded temp settings? schweet!

gunit130 Guest
    K2 Merlin's are gonna make a comeback sort of. They're already at SIA.

New model has GPS built into the ski along with an anti-vibration system using NASA patented technology with a 2"x3" LED screen allowing for micro-adjust-ability, status indicator and, of course, GPS navigation. The screen sits about 5" in front of the toe piece for the binding and runs on the same type of battery the GoPro uses. Battery life has been tested and is estimated to last about 4 hours in 10-30F temperatures. The wires and battery are housed in the ski and only stick out a few mm from the rest of the top sheet. You charge the battery with a USB and can update the device just like any other using your PC or MAC.

Difficult to predict what the future of skiing electronics will be. One major issue will always be ease of use in the frigid climate that skiing takes place in. The last thing I want to do at the top of the mountain is pull off my gloves and fiddle with some gadget trying to make it work-- only to realize the battery is dead because it's negative five.

Suppose some trail map system were to be implemented into goggles. What kind of gaper would be willing to spend the money required? Sure there are iPhone apps, but that's just more functionality added onto a device they already own. In my opinion there are still a lot of hurdles to jump through. Though distracted gapers moving at high speeds while manipulating their helmet cam, tweeting, and navigating with their built-in goggle trail maps will be a complete shit show, should it become popular.
    "Some folks look for answers
    Others look for fights
    Some folks up in treetops
    Just look to see the sights"

Who uses a trail map anyway? I just look for cool terrain and go there. If you see it, ski it...
    This is the worst pain EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I won't be happy til I get the anti-gaper laser beams on my my helmet and skis...
    This.

Also, people wearing GoPros in general, but especially on groomers =

If it's blinkin, it's thinkin!!!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.