Page 40 of 47 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 1174
    Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Great article. I sent it to my parents.

But I think your conclusion is misleading, especially since many paleo proponents believe that calories are virtually inconsequential if all you eat is nuts, meat, vegetables, etc.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums
    I'm not sure how "a calorie is a calorie is wrong" equates to "calories don't matter if you eat paleo", but I suppose confirmation bias could lead someone to conflate the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Another good, cheap food is Indian dosa and idlis, made with fermented rice/bean combos. Dosas wrapped around some scrambled eggs make for excellent breakfast burritos. So good.
    Do you make these or buy them somewhere? I would love to have a good gluten free burrito wrapper.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I'm not sure how "a calorie is a calorie is wrong" equates to "calories don't matter if you eat paleo", but I suppose confirmation bias could lead someone to conflate the two.
    Yeah, you nailed it. Which is why I said misleading and not wrong, because I think it's correct. Maybe labels should show net calories and not gross. I think that would make a lot of food choices easier, if you the type of person who monitors calories. That those two handfuls of almonds have the same net calories as those two slices of bread.

I'm just sensitive to it because so many people I read and hear from think that it's unpossible to gain weight or not achieve ideal body mass if they maintain a strict paleo diet or whatever other diet they are following, because "calories don't matter" as if somehow their body ignores the laws of thermodynamics. That and I write about analysis for a living and I nitpick opinions back to the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Do you make these or buy them somewhere? I would love to have a good gluten free burrito wrapper.
    Just Google Indian Dosa. Pretty easy after a little practice.

Idlis are basically the same recipe, but cooked either in muffin pans, or little Indian steamer gizmos.

Day 15 into primal eating. I am a work in progress, but the lifestyle changes I've made in the last two weeks are resulting in awesomeness.
    Down 8.5lbs in two weeks and that isn't even the best part.

I am sleeping far better now than I have in I don't even know how long. Especially after Naomi passed away, I had major sleep issues. Now? Gone. And holy crap the amount of energy I have is crazy. I could just go, go, go all day and then right about 9:30-10pm every night I'm tired and in bed by 10:30. My eyes pop open about 6:30am and I'm totally fine being up...especially since Samtheman likes to wake up around then, too

I'm not following paleo, but primal is pretty darn close. Seriously, I have zero motivation to ever go back to my old eating habits...and I still have a long way to go!
    you sketchy character, you

Just reading this thread makes me want to binge on Halloween candy.

One of my favorite paleo breakfast... Quiche muffins!

Pretty self explanatory recipe...Eggs, sausage, veggies, coconut oil... I make a couple batches at a time and refrigerate them for easy breakfast. They microwave up pretty good with a slice a cheese on top of them

Quote Originally Posted by bryanthebold View Post

Pretty self explanatory recipe...Eggs, sausage, veggies, coconut oil... I make a couple batches at a time and refrigerate them for easy breakfast. They microwave up pretty good with a slice a cheese on top of them

Been eating those for some time now. Protip: silicone cupcake molds are the only way to fly when making these. Totally non-stick, easy to clean.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanthebold View Post

I need a recipe or a link as I'm an idiot. Waking up for work at 3 am is killing my breakfast motivation and I'm not eating well.

1) Fry up sausage and veggies (I use a combo of onion, peppers, potato, and spinach)
    2) Allow to cool and maybe pat down the meats with a towel to remove excess grease.
    3) Scramble up a shitload of eggs, I usually do a dozen or so at a time and it makes two trays of muffins. You can spice the eggs as well
    4) Mix all ingredients together and pour into greased muffin pan (butter or coconut oil). I don't use the paper muffin cups. As long as you have it well greased they should come right out.
    5) 350 deg F till they look tasty (15 min?). Tooth pick in the center can be useful for determining if they are done.

WOW! I'm so glad to hear that.

It's hard to communicate to people that there is a whole another level of existence above "I feel fine", i.e. "I'm not sick or injured right now". This is what being human is supposed to feel like, and I'm glad you've found it.

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    Day 15 into primal eating. I am a work in progress, but the lifestyle changes I've made in the last two weeks are resulting in awesomeness.

I am sleeping far better now than I have in I don't even know how long. Especially after Naomi passed away, I had major sleep issues. Now? Gone. And holy crap the amount of energy I have is crazy. I could just go, go, go all day and then right about 9:30-10pm every night I'm tired and in bed by 10:30. My eyes pop open about 6:30am and I'm totally fine being up...especially since Samtheman likes to wake up around then, too

I'm not following paleo, but primal is pretty darn close. Seriously, I have zero motivation to ever go back to my old eating habits...and I still have a long way to go!

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post

Sounds good !! But what the heck is "primal eating"? I don'ts understands.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Sounds good !! But what the heck is "primal eating"? I don'ts understands.

--
    IIRC, paleo + dairy = primal. And a whole completely different set of books to buy!
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    IIRC, paleo + dairy = primal. And a whole completely different set of books to buy!
    Dairy and white potatoes. Traditional paleo permits sweet potatoes but not white potatoes. Basically "primal" is more tolerant both to Neolithic foods (e.g. butter, white potatoes) and cheating (Mark Sisson's famous 80/20 rule). The Perfect Health Diet is basically primal + white rice.

In Eat Like A Predator, I give white potatoes a pass but only dairy fat. Dairy protein (milk, cheese) is problematic for many, and many people are lactose (dairy sugar) intolerant.

Just finished a 30 day strict paleo challenge through crossfit (and didn't cheat at all), and I must say I'm sold on it. In 30 days, I've lost 17 pounds, increased my Cross Fit Total (a sum of 1 rep max of deadlift, back squat, and shoulder press) by 48 pounds, and cut 30 seconds of my 2000 meter row (and only managed to get to the gym 6 days during the challenge because of other shit going on). My poop is normal (it never has been before), I have FAR more energy, sleep better, and overall I feel amazing all the time. We tested my cholesterol levels before the challenge (elevated) and didn't manage to retest today because the machine broke, but will within the next week, I'll follow up with the results. I'm pretty optimistic about them though, because my fiance just did hers and they improved on every level, despite the fact that we've been eating eggs and red meat every day and bacon at least twice a week. She lost 6 pounds, has also improved her Cross Fit Total by a similar amount, and generally feels better all the time. There really is something to this and we'll be continuing despite being off the official challenge.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

This is what I eat day to day...
    Eggs, bacon or sausage depending on the day, green or chai tea, jerky, whatever veggies are in the house, lots of greens, nuts (macadamia, almond or walnuts), a piece of fruit/day-usually berries, beef, chicken and dark chocolate. Also have Mark Sissions protein drink if I'm in a hurry.

The dairy I eat is all full fat and minimal. Usually feta in my big salads and sharp chedder for maybe a topping on something. Have yogurt maybe once a week. Oh, we also cook with coconut oil and extra virgin.

I also haven't really been doing 80/20 yet, as I'm staying fairly strict to shed some weight. I'm sure I will at some point, but not yet. I'm also NOT eating rice or white potatoes. Had some mashed sweet potato once last week. Weight loss aside...I'm sold on how awesome I'm feeling. It's a life changer for sure.
    you sketchy character, you

Dickeymotto:

That's excellent! It's almost like this stuff works, isn't it?

altachic:

There's definitely a benefit to being stricter when you start out: the analogy the Hartwigs use is "Imagine that you are allergic to cats, and you have ten of them. One day you decide to get rid of nine of your cats. Will you feel better?"

Once you're closer to your goals, you can start adding things back in to see if they make a difference...or if you still like them enough to keep eating them. For instance, my cheese and yogurt consumption is basically zero now that I'm getting plenty of fat in my diet from other sources...I ate them for a while (particularly Greek yogurt) but slowly lost the urge.

Same with the occasional pizza cheat...over the last year, my desire for pizza has slowly decreased, and the time between pizzas has increased.

Gary Taubes is doing an AMA on reddit this afternoon.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment...thor_of_sweet/

The AMA is happening. This looks interesting
    http://nusi.org/

I think I'm going to try paleo. 30 days maybe. I can always get a decent supply of venison from friends. Organic eggs are readily available at the stores, along with various organic, pesticide-free certified veggies (at quite an additional expense, but well-worth it if not treated/grown with pesticides and herbicides).

I've just now finished going cold-turkey for the last 30 days on sweets. A big improvement. I DO still buy limited amounts of commercial energy bars (for running/hiking and when I feel like a sweet snack). And now basically have no desire for sweets, or at least much more limited.

If I DO get the odd craving for sweets, I'll make my own, now....peanut-butter cookies are easy to make!!...and healthier than any store-bought crap. I'm buying dried fruit, semi-sweet chocolate chips and granola to make my own gorp like I used to for the same reason.

I've ALWAYS eaten lots of fresh fruit. I've now ditched my cravings for juice and drink water instead...sometimes with just a touch of lemon juice.

So i think I'm ready.

I don't want to forego my pesto, hummus and falafel, though. I love that middle eastern food....is hummus and falafel allowed in the paleo diet???

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Yeah, you nailed it. Which is why I said misleading and not wrong, because I think it's correct. Maybe labels should show net calories and not gross. I think that would make a lot of food choices easier, if you the type of person who monitors calories. That those two handfuls of almonds have the same net calories as those two slices of bread.

I'm just sensitive to it because so many people I read and hear from think that it's unpossible to gain weight or not achieve ideal body mass if they maintain a strict paleo diet or whatever other diet they are following, because "calories don't matter" as if somehow their body ignores the laws of thermodynamics. That and I write about analysis for a living and I nitpick opinions back to the facts.
    Bumping this because due to my foot injury and some other personal issues my activity level has been waaay down lately. I've probably been getting 10-20% of the exercise I would normally like to for about 4 months now. I've had a general "don't get fat" mentality but haven't been actively limiting calories in any way. I've been eating fairly strict paleo (and totally GF except for a couple beers) and just eating until full/satisfied when hungry and not when I'm not. I usually skip breakfast a couple times per week and occasionally lunch too because I'm just not hungry, but I have also killed off whole bags of potato chips and GF peach-berry crumbles a couple times. I'm down about 10 pounds and visual body comp is unchanged. If anything my BF seems down a bit as well and it's not just muscle loss. Based on this little experiment I would have to make a concerted effort to gain weight while paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    I don't want to forego my pesto, hummus and falafel, though. I love that middle eastern food....is hummus and falafel allowed in the paleo diet??
    No, since they involve chickpeas (legumes). As far as pesto goes, just use good, undamaged extra virgin olive oil and don't cook it. Cooking damages and oxidizes unsaturated fats. If you cook with oil, stick to coconut or palm (or just go all out and use bacon fat).
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Any ideas about getting enough protein when doing workouts? Guess I could do raw milk and some non-sugar protein powder? I'm down about 20 pounds since giving up sweet tea and the majority of alcohol for the past 2.5 months.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77 View Post
    Any ideas about getting enough protein when doing workouts? Guess I could do raw milk and some non-sugar protein powder? I'm down about 20 pounds since giving up sweet tea and the majority of alcohol for the past 2.5 months.
    I use the Whey Protein from Stronger Faster Healthier, I know the Whey comes from cows, but at least they are happy cows (grass fed)

http://www.strongerfasterhealthier.c...s/whey_protein

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77 View Post
    I don't follow your logic. You cut carb calories and you're looking to make up for it in protein? Why not fat or other carbs?

why do you think? did you read the thread title? did you he see he's referring to working out? pumping carbs after a workout will definitely maximize your results