Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Spats, why am I always hungry? I might stay full for an hour or so, then I feel like I need to eat again. Eating feels like a chore and hunger seems like a constant.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Spats, why am I always hungry? I might stay full for an hour or so, then I feel like I need to eat again. Eating feels like a chore and hunger seems like a constant.
    I'll need to know a lot more to give a useful answer.

1) For how long have you been trying this?
    2) Are you trying to lose weight? If so, how much? If not, are you primarily doing strength work, cardio, or a mix of the two?
    2) Describe a few typical meals you're eating, especially the ones that leave you hungry.

wicked, try roughly tracking your calories for a day or two. I scoffed when someone suggested I wasn't getting enough, but was surprised when I looked at the numbers. I was having trouble hitting 1500/day the way I was eating.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    wicked, try roughly tracking your calories for a day or two. I scoffed when someone suggested I wasn't getting enough, but was surprised when I looked at the numbers. I was having trouble hitting 1500/day the way I was eating.
    Were you tracking everything? My typical breakfast is almost 1000 calories. qw2

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    bags' suggestion is good.

My personal suggestion - try Intermittent Fasting / Warrior Dieting / Eat Stop Eat.
    I fast ~22 hours a day and eat for about 2 hours, stuffing my face with ~2k+ calories in one big long session. It took a while to get used to not eating during the day, but within a few days my appetite was CRUSHED, and energy levels throughout the day skyrocketed. Feels great. Give it a try: www.leangains.com

I'm not actually trying paleo, I just figured Spats and others in this thread may have some suggestions.

I am not tracking anything, and not trying to lose weight. I am primarily doing strength work.

I think the suggestion to track what i am eating is good. I dont think I'm very consistent. I dont plan meals in advance.

That looks like an informative site, Burnhard. I'll look deeper into it.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

If you're always hungry and doing strength training, well, you need to eat more fucking food

The easiest way I've found to get lots of calories down the hatch is to dump whey protein into half-and-half. Fat improves your protein utilization, too.

Serious strength training requires a shit ton of calories, way more than is indicated by the relatively low caloric expenditure during the workouts. If you are trying to make major strength gains eating should be like a second job. Check out 70's Big:

How much do I need to eat?

1) More

2) There is an old business adage, “don’t dress for a job you have; dress for the job you want.” Apply this to your eating. If you want to be 215, you need to eat for 215, not for your 165 pound sprint-Tri doing self. You won’t get 70’s Big by pushing bird seed around your plate at your local hippy bistro. Start with 125-150% of what you’re eating now and see how that goes for a couple weeks.

I can’t eat all the food. Can’t I just train harder?

Eating is training. Beowulf had Grendel. We have Mongolian and Chinese buffets. If you don’t have at least one dining experience every couple of weeks that resembles an epic struggle worthy of telling over beers, you’ll be putting from the rough for the foreseeable future.

I'm down 5.5lbs so far. Energy is consistent all day long. If I have eggs and sausage at 6:30 in the morning, it holds me over until noon easily. I don't have any carb cravings, and I've always been a big water drinker, so the only thing that's been a bit hard on me is trying to cut out the milk. I love it. I'm going to wait until the 3 week point, try some, and if it doesn't give me the shits, I'm going to add it back in, just not every day like I have been in the past.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by hitek79 View Post
    I'm down 5.5lbs so far. Energy is consistent all day long. If I have eggs and sausage at 6:30 in the morning, it holds me over until noon easily. I don't have any carb cravings, and I've always been a big water drinker, so the only thing that's been a bit hard on me is trying to cut out the milk. I love it. I'm going to wait until the 3 week point, try some, and if it doesn't give me the shits, I'm going to add it back in, just not every day like I have been in the past.
    That's great news! I'm glad it's working for you. Let us know how the dairy experiment goes: the problem with milk is it's liquid calories.

Note: if you've got to drink it, drink whole, or even half-and-half. It seems counterintuitive, but the higher fat content can often make you happy with less.

Just got back from a nine day moto trip, camping off the moto, etc. Anyway, the diet on these trips is notoriously poor, consisting of gas station food and whatever else you can find along the way. In this case, lots and lots of wheat from Subway and Pizza.

Anyway, this trip proved to me that my wheat avoidance is not superstition. I skated up Millcreek yesterday and now have the return of exercise induced asthma. My lungs are burning, wheezing, and I'm coughing again. I've had this for years, and not at all this winter from avoiding wheat, but guess what, it's fucking back after a week of eating wheat.

Fuck that shit, it wasn't designed for human consumption, or at least by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Just got back from a nine day moto trip, camping off the moto, etc. Anyway, the diet on these trips is notoriously poor, consisting of gas station food and whatever else you can find along the way. In this case, lots and lots of wheat from Subway and Pizza.

Anyway, this trip proved to me that my wheat avoidance is not superstition. I skated up Millcreek yesterday and now have the return of exercise induced asthma. My lungs are burning, wheezing, and I'm coughing again. I've had this for years, and not at all this winter from avoiding wheat, but guess what, it's fucking back after a week of eating wheat.

Fuck that shit, it wasn't designed for human consumption, or at least by me.
    Similar experience here. Suffered with EAI every winter, havent had any wheezing in a while. Also so far while the rest of my family are starting to suffer through allergy season, I haven't had any issues yet, but its still early in the season here
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

I'm just going to put this here:

Just because it'll piss off hafilax and Mofro

"Why Humans Crave Fat"
    http://www.gnolls.org/1763/why-humans-crave-fat/

Trackhead, mrryde:

I don't have EAI AFAIK, but I have noticed several small annoyances disappear after going gluten-free, and start to return when I cheat.

Here's a conundrum: how many of the kids shown in "Feed the Starving Children" ads are starving...and how many are celiac and being killed by the wheat we're feeding them? (The WHO logo is a wheat stalk.)
    http://huntgatherlove.com/content/di...d-civilization

"So what's the population with the highest level of celiac disease? Preschoolers on the Upper East Side? Nope, the Saharawi, an Arab-Berber refugee population. And maybe they aren't the highest since they were just unlucky enough to be refugees served by doctors interested in celiac research. Testing found that 5.6% of them have celiac. Unfortunately wheat flour is their staple food (I wonder what that started?). Before celiac was diagnosed, people thought their children were merely dying from a malnourishing diet or GI illness."

I didn't realize my EIA hasn't flared up until Trackhead made his post, so I doubt the placebo effect has anything to do with it.

Enjoyed that blog Spats. thanks!

For me weight loss has tapered a bit, but my energy level is through the roof. 3 hour bike rides have become easier. I plan to do a 6 hour race next month and I can't wait.
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

The placebo effect post wasn't directed at anyone directly. More of a cautionary note about expecting changes due to diet and placeboing them to happen. It's difficult to self diagnose these things without independent concrete evidence.

If you have real health issues then see a doctor. There are tests for Celiac disease. I would want to know for sure.

I don't think that they are talking about Celiac.

There is a link between Celiac disease and asthma. If I had it I would want to know for sure.

Been toying with a bit of intermittent fasting this week. Going to try a fasted work out in about a half hour. Will report back.
    [/blog]
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Been toying with a bit of intermittent fasting this week. Going to try a fasted work out in about a half hour. Will report back.
    [/blog]
    Finally someone jumping on it! Lemme know what you think!

I absolutely fuckin love the shit out of Intermittent Fasting. I usually drift up to ~195lbs between fights, and after a while of dieting for a fight I have to really get my shit together to get down below 185lbs. After 3 months of Intermittent Fasting during 'off-season' I'm hovering around 185lbs without feeling like I've been dieting at all.

Fasted workouts are awesome. The only problem I'm having with IF so far is when I do multiple *anaerobic* workouts in a day, say morning & noon or morning & evening - then my glycogen stores are low from the first workout and the second workout I feel sluggish and slow. I've been countering this by 1) Focusing my 'anaerobic' workouts in the morning and leaving slow long distance work for the evening, and 2) Stuffing my face with carbs 1h before my evening workout if I do need to go anaerobic for long.

The most effective time to replenish glycogen is within an hour of the workout; preferably within a 1/2 hour. Recovery drinks are incredibly effective.

I don't IF but I know that I don't workout well if I've eaten within 2 hours so I often end up workout out without eating for 12+ hours with a morning workout.

Quote Originally Posted by hafilax View Post
    The most effective time to replenish glycogen is within an hour of the workout; preferably within a 1/2 hour. Recovery drinks are incredibly effective.
    Very true. Didn't mention it above but I am planning on trying that out as well (Used to be religious about post-workout glycogen repletion). Those days were I plan on doing high intensity training in the evening I will have ~400cals (100g) of carbs immediately pre-morning-workout. 400 cals will barely cover the calories I expend in one morning workout, technically barely breaking my fast, but should help replenish glycogen.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post

I absolutely fuckin love the shit out of Intermittent Fasting. I usually drift up to ~195lbs between fights, and after a while of dieting for a fight I have to really get my shit together to get down below 185lbs. After 3 months of Intermittent Fasting during 'off-season' I'm hovering around 185lbs without feeling like I've been dieting at all.

Fasted workouts are awesome. The only problem I'm having with IF so far is when I do multiple *anaerobic* workouts in a day, say morning & noon or morning & evening - then my glycogen stores are low from the first workout and the second workout I feel sluggish and slow. I've been countering this by 1) Focusing my 'anaerobic' workouts in the morning and leaving slow long distance work for the evening, and 2) Stuffing my face with carbs 1h before my evening workout if I do need to go anaerobic for long.
    Pretty amazed. Totally exceeded my expectations. Thought it was a great work out with great energy levels and felt and feel great now. Followed with scrambled eggs, avacado, bacon, and tomatoes. I know its only the first one, but this could be the beginning...
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Quote Originally Posted by BurnHard View Post

I absolutely fuckin love the shit out of Intermittent Fasting.
    I've done it for about nine months, primarily on days I work because it's convenient. For me, it's an easy way to obtain a slight caloric deficit if I eat the bulk of my calories in a 6-8 hour window. I'm usually pretty hungry at 8-9am, then the hunger dissolves and I can go to noon easy. I usually eat dinner at 7pm on work days, lift, then a smoothie, then bed.

I don't believe in working out (aerobic) on a low carb or calorie restricted state, because some say it can raise cortisol levels. No need for that. But obviously Mr. Berkham's followers are big into the BCAA's prior to a lifting session when in the fasted state.

I think IF'ing has it's place, but for some, it's a quick way to an eating disorder.

I've been solidly gluten-free for months now, and I rarely eat cheese either.

I binged on pizza today.

It tasted great -- but no matter how much pizza I ate, I still felt hungry. And I felt like hammered shit afterwards, which I have realized is how I spent most of my time feeling, before, and how most of us spend our time feeling.

So tonight I ate about a pound of steepconcrete's grass-fed beef, a huge baby green salad, and a bunch of 80% fat Greek yogurt, and felt somewhat better. Hopefully I'll feel normal again in a day or two.