Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Surf SUP?!

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity POW View Post
    My buddy was in the lineup at Pasta Point when the founder/owner of the surf camp was hit by a longboard to the head and was laying face down in the water. They brought him to the beach and couldn't revive him. I can't imagine how much damage a SUP could cause with all that weight.
    True. He definitely would have been way more dead if it had been a SUP.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    Can't say I'm too upset. Karma's a bitch and that tool definitely had it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    most SUP users are loathed by surfers.... SUPs are huge and unwieldy and can be a hazard for other surfers out in the water. Some discourteous SUP users fail to recognize that with the paddle they can get moving on a wave much earlier than surfers, and they end up hogging every damn wave that comes through.
    Just realize that they are definitely the 'snowblades' of the surfing world...if you get in to the sport, be really careful around other surfers... a 14' SUP on a 10' leash can crack someone in the head more than 25' away if that board gets out of control in a wipeout.

No...they're not the sno-bladers of the surfing world, they are the Hardboot Alpine snowboarders of the surfing world. They look totally out of place on the water. Everytime I see a Stand-up surfer I am reminded of that Far Side cartoon of the cows standing upright in a field and one cow yells "car!!" when a car drives by...hell, it's hard to explain. A pix is better:

Damn...couldn't find the cartoon, but this will do:

Stand up surfers remind me that. Stand-up surfing is about as stupid as standing up in a kayak.......or putting ski-boots on a snowboard.

Sit back down, foo !!!!

---

--

-
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Buy a kayak or an outrigger canoe.

Laird = bimbo
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdRock View Post
    SUP = fat girls or mopeds.

Fun to ride but don't let your friends see you on one.

Wrong and wrong.

Laird may be, well, Laird, but when you see him RIP 15' Hookipa when no one else can get off the beach tell him in the parking lot he is a "bimbo"

More top watermen here on Maui and throughout Hawaii are killing it on SUP boards, the bubble won't burst and the price won't come down. My friends that design for Naish and Hawaiian Island as well a Jimmy Lewis have seen the sport eclipse sales of all other watersports gear. See a big decline in Rockered skis? Not so much. It two years every powder ski out there will look like a dps wailer or rosi S7.

The boards are getting smaller, people have been on them for years now
    and people are ripping and loving it. Can't speak for California as I don't even like to leave the airport there if I can't get a direct flight to DIA but the line between lay-down and stand-up is clear and there is plenty of cross-over and the choice of breaks at least on Maui is defined and we don't have much trouble in the water. Many good breaks here are 3/4 mile off shore and don't see much lay-down traffic.

Just my point of view from 30 years on the north shore beaches...

Ever see Garret rip on one?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNo8HVX9O_g&feature=related"]YouTube - Garrett McNamara Stand Up Paddle at Pipe- Freewave Challenge[/nomedia]

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    Exactly, even more dead. Maybe even the most dead, with a larger gash in the back of the head.

Hayduke, you surf there and meet him? Sounds like you might have. I don't know much about the guy other than the story my buddy told me. He said it was a pretty heavy situation to see. I was supposed to be there with them but bailed for a Nicaragua trip instead. Glad I did, they dropped a lot of cash to experience that. Hope I never have to paddle someone in like that.

Edit:
    Crampedon, Garret kills anything he stands on. That's just more evidence.
    Last edited by Piggity; 02-02-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Edit:
    Crampedon, Garret kills anything he stands on. That's just more evidence.
    In part because he will surf anything he stands on. Think of it like knowing how to ride a fish and a plank equally as well. You get better, see. Garret has not limited himself to enjoying waves on a single type of platform.

Not saying to try it, but try to understand better why some may choose a different style than yours. I have not tried it, and don't really care to. What if I liked it? More money and more time spent. But who cares if others SUP?

And understand fatal accidents can occur in any type of surf, with any type of board. It is about how we handle ourselves in the water that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    In part because he will surf anything he stands on. Think of it like knowing how to ride a fish and a plank equally as well. You get better, see. Garret has not limited himself to enjoying waves on a single type of platform.

Not saying to try it, but try to understand better why some may choose a different style than yours. I have not tried it, and don't really care to. What if I liked it? More money and more time spent. But who cares if others SUP?

And understand fatal accidents can occur in any type of surf, with any type of board. It is about how we handle ourselves in the water that counts.
    I don't think we disagree on anything here. One of my posts in this thread referenced that it's about the person and not the gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    No...they're not the sno-bladers of the surfing world, they are the Hardboot Alpine snowboarders of the surfing world.

-
    That clinches it. I'm going to take a SUP lesson this weekend.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

So far, i've only encountered 1 or 2 SUP's in the water in or around the line-up at any given time and it's never been a problem. Period. Mostly beginners I guess. Seems to take them abit to get turned around and lined up. No worries, they can have that wave. I'm pretty sure there'll be another and another and another.

It is about how we handle ourselves in the water that counts.
    absolutely.... i got no problems with folks choosing to SUP, so long as they act in a respectful manner and do not endanger others. From my limited experience around SUP users though, it seems like the wavehog and hazard to others thing is greater than amongst just regular ol' surfers though.

I think surfing tough enough as it is...i couldn't imagine being a newbie going into the surf for the first time and having a board twice as big and having a paddle to keep track of...but if folks think its fun and they're not smacking into anybody, then have at it!

Yes.

But they are more likely on certain crafts. People on SUP's, and on huge long boards at crowded shortboard spots, need to understand that they have to be extra careful. They have to understand that they have something very different from a regular shortboard strapped to their leg.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

http://paddle-board.net/marisa-mille...ech-sup-board/

i cetainly wouldn't question anyone in a lineup w/ an sup, but you wouldn't see me there. it's a tough one...i think some or many people can do it safely, but others should probably go elsewhere.

my wife rides hers every day on flat water and loves the thing. great core workout.

Hayduke, you surf there and meet him? Sounds like you might have. I don't know much about the guy other than the story my buddy told me. He said it was a pretty heavy situation to see. .........
    Not at Pasta and yes I did. My comments were a bit rough. There won't be too many local surfers at the funeral I expect.

The concept of anyone owning/profiteering from a break doesn't sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Yes.

But they are more likely on certain crafts. People on SUP's, and on huge long boards at crowded shortboard spots, need to understand that they have to be extra careful. They have to understand that they have something very different from a regular shortboard strapped to their leg.

Yes, definitly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Not at Pasta and yes I did. My comments were a bit rough. There won't be too many local surfers at the funeral I expect.

The concept of anyone owning/profiteering from a break doesn't sit well with me.

He was aussie right? that must have been like a thumb to the eye of the locals watching him get rich.

The only place I've seen exclusivity to a break was in Western Samoa (Salani). It actually works there because the village chief calls the shots and not the surf camp. No one can surf in front of the village without the chiefs permission. No surfing on Sunday's out front either, it's a day of rest. Although you can hook up with a boat out to the surrounding small islands to surf on Sunday, just not in front of the village.

Mmmm pastas, that left sounds so good right now but the flight to get there and the bank account drainage does not.

Quote Originally Posted by stayalert View Post
    They are awesome on flat water.
    Ditto...:

Who cares what you look like. My daughter and I have a lot of fun when there's not enough wind for windsurfing. It's great exercise, good balance training, and gets you outside on the water... all good stuff.

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Nice cat in the background

It's best to learn the rules of the lineup before going out anywhere especially on a SUP. But really if you ask any waterman like Robby Naish or Laird they'll tell you that SUPing isn't about riding the same breaks that surfers are at. It's definitely a ton of fun and if I could really give any advice it would be not to be afraid to go short, if you look at how the shapes have changed people are constantly going shorter and skinnier.

http://spatziba.com/surf/aren_t_the_..._the_tube_1713
    Dont dodge the tube or stab the wave