Shit My Dad Skis - Reco an E. Coast crud ski

So my old man is searching for a new pair of skis. He's 5'9" 190, and pushing 60, which I realize is not that old, but he is 2 years removed from a hip replacement. Despite this, he skis fast, as long as he's on hardpack (which is most of the time since he's skiing VT).

He really struggles in soft snow and crud, largely because he skis way in the backseat, and tries to steer to his turning angle instead of setting any kind of edge. This is the real problem, and I've convinced him to take a lesson, but I don't think the stiff 65mm waisted hardpack hand-me-downs he's skiing are doing anything but adding to his struggles/soreness on soft snow/crud/ etc.

So, any suggestions for what he should be skiing on soft snow/tracked out days? Not looking for a real powder ski here. Something less than 90mm. 170-whatever Dynastar Legend Sultan 85 came to mind. Some tip rocker which might help him change his technique, not so stiff that he'll be chugging advil straight from the bottle. What else would fit the bill? Anything from last year I might be able to pick up used?

Thanks

I know this doesn't necessarily fit everything you are requesting, but I know a lot of folks happy with their Atomic Crimsons in the muck you are describing, and they are under 90 wide and a bit forgiving.

That's a good suggestion, I'll keep it in mind.

Also thinking about the K2 Wayback. Light, forgiving, rocker, about the right dimensions. Not much sidecut, which he'd probably like, but maybe reinforces that old turning style. I dont know.

Volkl Kendo?

Also OP, say hi to Brady Hoke for me.

HOKEAMANIA!!!

Both of the above suggestions are good skis that expect modern technique, and neither are especially damp/smooth for bad legs/hips. Problem with rocker is that not many skis in the right width for NE, let alone for ice.

Your idea of a Sultan 85 is excellent; nice ski that does everything well, very forgiving, fairly good grip. Last season's around new for cheap. But designed for bigger guys, FWIW. If you can find last year's Head Peak 88, before they went to the flow tip, very nice ski (same as iM78, but new graphics), forgiving, super smooth, decent grip (get them tuned for sure to 1/3). K2's are smooth and damp, great bad leg skis, but not very grippy once you get into the 80's. Fischer Watea 84's are great intermediate skis, good grip, but a bit lively. The new Motive 80's might be your ticket if you have the $$ for a 2011 model. Bit smoother, more planted, still easy to handle, tolerant of all techniques.

But I digress...

I'm sure there are a lot of people on this board that can help you but for realz this is Epicski bread and butter. I would post this question there.