Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Wide Feet, High Arch/Instep: What boots are you in?

I'm coming up on 4 years on my Solly xwave 10's and it's getting to be that time for a new boot. Boots are banged up, liners are packed out and they feel looser than before.

These boots had more work done on them than Joan Rivers to get them to a "good" fit but there are still days where I'm less than happy. The shell is bigger than it should be but that was really the only way to go to accommodate my width/instep issue.

My feet are 110mm wide and I SHOULD be in a 27 shell. Before I got the xwaves I tried on about 15 boots and worked with a great bootfitter to get me to where I needed.

I just started looking this week and went to Surefoot to check out a more custom route and we finished with the guy shaking his head and saying "sorry dude". The big issue was the instep/arch height and it was to the point there a little bit of grinding would just not be enough (they could have probably figured out the width thing all right with some grinding/punching).

Seems like a repeat of last time: Wide enough, but the instep is to shallow. Good instep, but way too narrow.

So Lange is checked off, probably try Solly and Technica next. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Pretty much the same boat as you, big flippers for feet. I've been in Nordica Speedmachines since 06? and have 0 complaints. Currently in a 29.5, considering dropping down a size for a race fit but they're so comfy now My feet will fall asleep if I don't unbuckle the instep after a run but they're fine while skiing. Dynafit Titans/Zzeus aren't too bad; not quite as comfy on my feet out of the box but with some bootwork I think they'll be fine, for me atleast.

I wear a 13 street shoe and have wide feet and moderate arches. My foot quiver:
    Alpine: Technica Agent 110's, size 31.5
    Touring/AT: Scarpa Mobe, size 30.5
    Snowboard: K2 T1's, size 13
    No significant complaints. Comfortable enough not to be distracting. Warm enough.

sim issue: high arch moved me from a 27.5 shell to a 28.5
    i'm in AT boots exclusively (can't afford more than a quiver of one yet) - so, scarpa has worked out for me

so, not helpful but in same boat and interested in hearing what others reply on alpine boots here

atomic live fit, or b tech series. I put most of my wide-footed customers in the b series, and recently the live fit. They seem to like them after 20-30 minutes spent in them. I am unsure if the live fit series can be punched but i doubt it. B series on the other hand, can have more work done to them. Possibly the Lange 130 rx wide would be an option, i have about a 100mm last and they were considerably wider than the regular fit and seemed to feel wider once i skied them.

Tecnica Agent 110 for me too.. 116mm wide feet and custom liners since my feet are so weirdly shaped.

try some Dallbelo Protons if you get a chance,great fit for my high instep...
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

My feet are normal width, but arches are very high. Another vote for Nordica. I'm in beasts rather than speedmachines.

Similar issue. Wide forefoot, high instep/arch but narrow heel. I'm in a Scarpa Typhoon, which I believe uses a similar if not the same last as the Mobe and Skookum.

I had to grind the bottom of the bootboard to give me enough room for my arch and instep. After heat molding the liner I had to use a heatgun on the liner where my big toe and pinky contact the liner to flatten out the liner material as much as possible. I also cut out the elastic in the liner that goes across the tongue and add butterflies to the heel to hold things in place. It wasn't a ton of work and all of it could be done at home. Things are feeling pretty comfy now.

The sense I get is that the most important area to fit out of the box is the heel pocket since that's the hardest area to work on. Forefoot width can be easily made through punching, which will also ease the pressure on your instep since your foot will be able to lie flat. If you need more instep room after that, the bootboard can be ground down then the top of the tongue as a last resort.

Anyway, sorry if this isn't super helpful. My point is that a lot can be done by a good bootfitter.

Try these shells
    Salomon Quest
    Atomic Hawk
    Nordica Speed Machine (HR 105)
    Lange RX/RS wide

and use an intuition liner.

You will still have to lift the instep of the boot up, and stretch around your foot, but those will get you closest.

My feet are wide (not your width though) and have HUGE insteps, the past three years I have been in a Banshee Pro w/power wrap, this year I am in a Quest 12, and will soon be in an RX 130 (100mm). The RX 130 felt really good out of the box, and will just require a instep lift.

I have tecnica Dragons. The Agent 110's that are being listed use the Dragon shell. I had a set of x-waves that didnt have enough room in the instep for me and were to narrow.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

jgb@etree Guest
    Tecnica Dragon 120's. I used to deal with pain and squeeze my feet into Langes. Decided to try these last year and they're pretty damn comfy.

I'm running Atomic m110s, with Intuitions, Sole footbeds, and WC Boosters.

All custom work done by Mntlion.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

see what your boot fitter thinks???

they have bought lots of options, and know what can be best changed for you. They will have wide boots, and narrow boots, tall and short instep boots.

better to spends some time looking for a person, not a brand.

My boot fitter recommended the tecnica dragon 120s and they've been pretty good for me. Much better for my foot shape than my old Langes.

The Dalbello Blender has about the highest instep of anything out there.
    Atomic B series

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Try these shells
    Atomic Hawk
    Absolutely not. The Hawx is relatively low volume and it's hard to punch around the gills.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Try these shells
    Salomon Quest
    Atomic Hawk
    Nordica Speed Machine (HR 105)
    Lange RX/RS wide

and use an intuition liner.

You will still have to lift the instep of the boot up, and stretch around your foot, but those will get you closest.

My feet are wide (not your width though) and have HUGE insteps, the past three years I have been in a Banshee Pro w/power wrap, this year I am in a Quest 12, and will soon be in an RX 130 (100mm). The RX 130 felt really good out of the box, and will just require a instep lift.
    Narrow heel, high arch/instep, wide feet, hammer toes.

I am in the stock liner in the Lange RX and loving it. I went down a full size from an old soft 5 buckle dolomite and technicas before them, all with custom liners from silicone to foam to zipfits. I have never slipped into a boot as easily as the RX. Once I trimmed and dropped my footbeds in, I've been in heaven. Great micro buckles, a light boot you can get vibram blocks for the sole on and, so far, warm. I gave up on banshees 20+ years ago and figured I'd never get in a Lange again after crushing my insteps in them.

Technica Agent 110 for my fat feet. Still needed a punch, and Powerstrap.
    Training for Alpental

Yeah, I did a cross punch from sixth toe to first knuckle on the big toe when I fit them in the store and hit it right on first time. Which is rare for me. Or it's the boot. I dunno, but they work great and I'm relieved. Bad fits blow.

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    I have tecnica Dragons. The Agent 110's that are being listed use the Dragon shell. I had a set of x-waves that didnt have enough room in the instep for me and were to narrow.
    My width is just a tad wider than a D width, but I can get by with normal shoes that run wide. I do have a very high arch and have found Tecnica's work really well for me over the few years I have been skiing. I also have the 120 Dragons and didn't need any shell work, but I often have to loosen the buckles over my right foot when going up a lift so I don't cramp up. Great shell and heel fit. I ordered some Intuitions for them as I think this is my 3rd season on them and I would like a snugger fit around my skinny shin bone area.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Update: heading up to see PJ at Race Stock Sports in Waterbury this Saturday after hearing from multiple trusted sources that he is the mang. Super stoked to have hopefully finally found my go-to EC boot-fitter, fingers crossed..

I've not only got a wide forefoot and VERY high arch but also narrow heels.

Alpine boots are Technicas with Zipfit inners and with a performance fit. Did have to get them blown out twice for the forefoot. They are still too tight on the arch - as in it once took me 15 minutes to force my feet into them when the shells were cold - skinning the top of my foot in the process! Only just able to do up the second buckle.

Next time I would go up a size and to hell with performance!

Benny, who owns Inner Bootworks in Stowe, is awesome as well. I got fitted, insoles and shell work there this year and couldn't be happier with my boots(solly impact 10s)

Sounds like we have similar dimensions and I have been extremely happy with my custom Strolz "all red" last. At the time I was shopping for new boots my fitter in Munich said that they was really only one off the shelf boot (a Lange) that could be customized to work for my feet. I ended up going for the full custom Strolz option as they were in fact a bit less expensive than the Lange with a new custom foam liner.

I think Strolz a rare in the U.S. but popular here in the Alps. If you're ever thinking of making a trip to Europe the boots can be made to measure and the liner foamed all in a day. If I ever move back to Canada I will make a trip to Austria just to get new boots -that's how much they work for me!