Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    No wreckage on my end today. (if there was, I'd certainly own up to it) - I just went in a bit early, before the high gate to Blackjack, then traversed over into Blackjack, and took a bit longer to get down. You guys were still in line when I rolled up...

One of the most frustrating mornings EVER. Finally got a weekday morning off to ski, and whadya know, LCC is closed. Hang around there for a good 40 minutes, gave up at 9. Then headed to the Canyons for 'at least some sure turns' before work. One crappy lift running, everything else closed. Then that lift broke. With me on it. Finally got off, hit a few more lame laps, and finally caught a break--the rope to Tombstone dropped. 3 laps there were SCHWEEEEET! Fast fast fast same windbuff heavy dense wierd snow you guys skied, but w/ no tracks it was a blast. In to work, feeling stoked to have been on the mountain and made some good turns but a bit wierded out from standing around WAITING ALL MORNING. Oh well weekend will be fun, planning an Alta/Bird Saturday bell-to-bell, see yall up there

Quote Originally Posted by midget
    It was just like skiing back home in the PNW.....really fast snow.
    It even smelt like home. I almost got a little homesick today </teary eyed>

Just another killer PNW day here in Utah.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Was bummed I didn't get more than a few hours in, but I did have fun skiing. I was on the Spatulas today, and damn! In fact, I actually thought I was skiing soft creamy love at the Bird, not windbuff. They just smear on top--granted this was my second day on them, so things got weird once in a while, but weee! Soon they'll open up all the places our fluff blew to--then double weeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    Seconding the vote for "You guys are on drugs."

The only bummer about today was how much stuff was closed. That just means more freshness tomorrow.
    I'm with this guy

Great day!!! besides a little Sierra Cement never hurt nobody!

good work out for me

good skiing with ya'aall
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Thumbs down

It really sucked. I was wondering if anyone was gonna say something about it. I drove all the way from Tooele to ski what I thought was gonna be 3 days of powder. Hooked up with Utarded for one run and went home.
    That was MCL snow is what that was. http://www.tetongravity.com/ubb/icons/icon13.gif

Thumbs down

oh yeah. I almost forgot. I've never had a day where I couldn't find some soft pow hidden away in some of my secret stashes. I coudlnt find any today.

We truly are a bunch of spoiled bastards.

I was bitching to Stoy today about it and he said something like "It's over"

On a side note, I bet we see some silly slednecks up here in Logan Canyon doing there best to get buried under some Utah Sierra Cement this weekend.

spoiled spoiled spoiled

spoiled spoiled spoiled
    No shit.

Kinda blows me away that those who live RIGHT THERE could be so bitter about a less-than-perfect day. Yeah, I could move there, but I'm not the one bitching. You are. And it sure sounds shitty from here.

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSmoke
    oh yeah. I almost forgot. I've never had a day where I couldn't find some soft pow hidden away in some of my secret stashes. I coudlnt find any today.

your desire or skills were lacking. the most wind sheltered spots had some lighter snow. i almost got a face shot. i was leaning though.

WAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!

ive never heard so much bitching about heavy dense snow in my life. Jesus friggen Christ, its not even christmas and we have had well over 200" of snow. cry me a fuckin river. the only thing that sucked today was shoveling the snow.

It's just getting the shitty stiff out of its system in preparation for the mini next week, right?

[Arty dons flame retardant suit]

I'm going to say something that may be very unpopular, but it's how I feel. So

I actually prefer Cali blower to Utah blower. I'm a pretty heavy guy: 230lbs. So whenever I'm out in Utah I always sink to the bottom. It's awesome to get massive face shots, but I'm skiing on the shit on the bottom. My Gotamas have trouble floating out there. It's a 105 waisted ski for christ sakes.

Out here is a totally different story. For instance, Fat Thursday last year was the best day of my life. I was up to my shoulders in spots and I never hit bottom. I had that awesome weightless feeling that you get so rarely. I was actually skiing in the snow. Floating, flying, bliss.

And even when we get our normal heavy storms, you still get this feeling. Sure I'm not up to my chest in blower, but I'm floating inside or on top of the snow which I prefer. It's like flying or surfing maybe.

So when I hear you guys bitching about dense pow, I don't really feel much sympathy. After the 3 feet of slurpee Ullr just dumped on us, I would kill to have snow like that right now.

Don't get me wrong, I love all kinds of pow. It's just that each has its merits.

[Arty takes off flame retardant suit]
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

My heart bleeds for all you bitches. Really. I should bring a camera to Mt. Slow tomorrow and then we can compare.
    And I'll be doing about 8 hours of driving for my skiing. Which will suck.
    Did I mention the skiing here blows?

And Arty, you're right. Coastal snow is better than that 3% Utah stuff.
    Unless it's so heavy that you can't move on anything shallower than 30 degrees.
    [quote][//quote]

How about if I take a camera... Tomorrow I will be skiing on 300 ft of rain/snow mix, icy, groomed, shit. Probably have a whole 10 runs to choose from too.

Did I mention how sorry I feel for you all?

Quote Originally Posted by Particle
    Then headed to the Canyons for 'at least some sure turns' before work. One crappy lift running, everything else closed. Then that lift broke. With me on it. Finally got off, hit a few more lame laps, and finally caught a break--the rope to Tombstone dropped. 3 laps there were SCHWEEEEET! Fast fast fast same windbuff heavy dense wierd snow you guys skied, but w/ no tracks it was a blast. In to work, feeling stoked to have been on the mountain and made some good turns but a bit wierded out from standing around WAITING ALL MORNING.
    I was at the canyons today as well and all I can say is that it was a weird day. In my 3 laps, I hit two trees(I miscalculated the gap between two trees, as well as their size. I hate that.) and crashed twice. I sucked so hard today they should have taken my pass. "Sorry ski monkey, it's one thing to embarrass yourself, but now you're embarrassing us." Not to mention the dudes that jumped on a closed lift and got arrested as well as the dude running his snowmobile wearing a bear suit below 9990 while patrol was blasting it. Ah well, the knee felt good and even though it was the weirdest snow I've skied, it was a good adventure.

So was the resort snowpack 'whumping' in LCC like it was at the Canyons? Crazy, every untracked pitch I skied was collapsing--reallllly sketch feeling even tho you knew it was controlled!

And for all the peeps bashing on the Utards, yes they (we) are all a bunch of spoiled brats. But damnit while I'm living here I'm gonna be a spoiled brat too!

I'll echo the sentiments of others. Boo-fucking-hoo. :smileydood
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Disappointed doesn't mean that I didn't have some fun. Disappointed means I skied all day yesterday and it was sick, it dumped a foot overnight, yet the conditions were much worse, no terrain opened, and I waited 2 hours to drive up the canyon, and another hour and half to get on the lift.

When your expectations are for a sick pow day with tons of face shots and you get a few runs of insanely windbuffed instead after waiting 4 hours to ski, you might be disappointed as well. I do realize that waiting 4 hours to ski is better than going to work in an office in Pennsylvania where it's yet to snow and the biggest vert for any resort is 1000 feet. I just figured with all the hype yesterday about skiing today that I should be truthful with my report of how sucky it was today. I'm sure it was way better in Colorado.
    Avoiding the real world since 1979

spoiled spoiled spoiled
    I moved here to be spoiled. I was expecting more but my first couple runs were fun. I may come up tomarrow afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki

And Arty, you're right. Coastal snow is better than that 3% Utah stuff.

You guys are retarded!
    Last edited by powderwhore; 12-10-2004 at 02:25 AM.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    [QUOTE=Arty50]

I'm a pretty heavy guy: 230lbs. So whenever I'm out in Utah I always sink to the bottom. It's awesome to get massive face shots, but I'm skiing on the shit on the bottom. My Gotamas have trouble floating out there. It's a 105 waisted ski for christ sakes.

[QUOTE]

Christssakes, I've been sucking down the Ben and Jerry's every night since August and still haven't taken over the title of tubbiest board member...

Thats it, I'm spending the afternoon shooting buttermilk to get those extra 3 pounds on.

My wussy PR's haven't hit bottom yet and I'm determined to get to the bottom of this crappy Utah pow sometime this winter.
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy
    Christssakes, I've been sucking down the Ben and Jerry's every night since August and still haven't taken over the title of tubbiest board member...

Thats it, I'm spending the afternoon shooting buttermilk to get those extra 3 pounds on.

My wussy PR's haven't hit bottom yet and I'm determined to get to the bottom of this crappy Utah pow sometime this winter.
    I may have actually lost a couple of pounds recently. No idea, since I haven't been on a scale for awhile. So the title may be yours and you don't need to eat a ton of ice cream. Chunky Monkey is really good though, so I'll understand if you continue your pursuits.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say Utah pow sucks. Quite the contrary. It's just that I'm...uhhhhhh...big boned...and have special needs.

Sometimes you have superlight storms roll in and other times it's a little heavier. For instance, at last years mini. We scored some light blower at Alta, which also go skied out by noon. Then we went to Snowbasin and it was a smidge heavier, but just about right for two killer days. Is it that way normally? I have no idea? Maybe it was just the storm. But I prefered Snowbasin last year.
    Last edited by Arty50; 12-10-2004 at 12:45 PM.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."