Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Paging Dobish: Best Cheesesteak in the West?

Just returned from Jimmy & Drews in Boulder. Damn, they make a fine cheesesteak. I know it's not technically a jewish deli item, but theirs is a fine example of the form: hot and tasty, thinly sliced and griddled steak with just enough grease, melted white cheese, and caramelized onions (an extra well worth the $.50 surcharge), all on a soft, slightly chewy white bun.

I grew up eating east coast cheesesteaks, and hadn't found anything out here to compare. This one definitely made the grade.

(Wife's corned beef reuben was good, but looked kind of wimpy. It's plenty of food for lunch - more than you need, really - but I feel like a sandwich at a jewish deli ought to astound and slightly frighten you with inches of piled meat in the middle. Maybe it's meant as compensation for something, I don't know.)
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Taste of Philly @ University & County Line. Best tasting, authentic cheesesteaks I've come across so far.

Other people have already covered this topic. The search function helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Damn, they make a fine cheesesteak. I know it's not technically a jewish deli item,
    Shy of having pork, shrimp, blood and insects on it, a cheesesteak is about as non kosher as you can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Large Marge Philly Cheesesteak at 38th and Kipling.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

moochies in SLC makes a good cheese steak.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Other people have already covered this topic. The search function helps.
    Nope, I searched but didn't see any mention of Jimmy and Drew's. The title of the thread might be misleading, but my point wasn't to re-start the discussion of where the best cheeseteak is to be had (though I'm game if others decide to do so). I simply wanted to call out the fact that Jimmy & Drew's has the best in these parts, period.

Just realized the reason the roll was so frickin' good - they use Amoroso rolls, which are the gold standard for cheesesteaks. I now understand why.

Why would you page Dobish for a food item that by definition he can't eat?

Taste of Philly was the most authentic cheesesteak I have had around here, I'll have to give J&D's a try.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

New York Pizza in El Jebel, that is one good philly

In SoCal, Philly's Best has ruined all other cheesesteaks for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    'Cause he's a sandwich guru. I figure, even if he can't personally eat it, he should keep up with these things out of professional interest.

John's Philly Grille in Seal Beach, Huntington Beach, and Anaheim, CA. The owner is Philadelphia native...
    "this thread is an odd combo of win and fail." -Danno

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post

Taste of Philly was the most authentic cheesesteak I have had around here, I'll have to give J&D's a try.

There was a Taste of Philly on Wads in Westminster in the early 2000s that had killer cheesesteak. But what really made me fall in love with the place was the fine selection of Tastykakes.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    Shy of having pork, shrimp, blood and insects on it, a cheesesteak is about as non kosher as you can get.
    Boychick, that's as treif as treif gets. Oy vey iz mer!
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Suzie Burger in Sac Town
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Tech talk JONG.

Boulder /= "The West".
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I've been happy with Cheesesteak Connection on Park Ave West and Market in Denver. Amaroso rolls, tastykakes........ Haven't tried anywhere else in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Boulder /= "The West".
    The western midwest? The eastern west? The middle-east of the middle-west? The west coast of the east? The east coast of the west?
    Last edited by Pegleg; 01-18-2011 at 10:40 PM.

Fuck cheesesteaks. I just had a hog burger from a little place called Brittons near 94th S in Sandy.

Thats a burger with grilled onions served between two grilled cheese sandwhiches, one with bacon, one with tomato, and thousand island. All that was missing was jalapenos.

I thought it might be just dripping in grease, but it wasnt and it was fucking awesome. I know they didnt invent it, but fuck it was good. So good that after eating one for lunch I wanted another for dinner but the place is already closed.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Boulder /= "The West".
    This one is throwing me off, too. Boulder isn't the west but SLC is?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post

Thats a burger with grilled onions served between two grilled cheese sandwhiches, one with bacon, one with tomato, and thousand island. All that was missing was jalapenos.
    Holy heartburn! That like 4000 calories?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Pats #1 and Taste Of Philly...best I have had in the Denver area.
    You should have been here yesterday!

The western midwest? The eastern west? The middle-east of the middle-west? The west coast of the east? The east coast of the west?
    Ha, this.

Of course Boulder is in "The West" but there are many states and cities that make up the geographic region of the Western US/Rocky Mountain US, most of which better exemplify the spirit of "The West" IMO. Most people who live in Boulder think Boulder is the epicenter and epitome of all things "west" when in fact, Boulder is a yuppie town far from the real mountains filled with pretentious poseurs (present company excluded I'm sure). Sorry but it's true.

My link to the SLC cheese steak thread was tongue in cheek but the thread title is "Best Philly in the west", and SLC is also in the west. Not that SLC is the epicenter either but the thread title implication that Boulder="The West", is insulting to the rest of the west. We've sure got our problems out here too but at least we've got real mountains AND good cheese steaks!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Boulder is less than 400 miles from the geographical center of the US. SLC is more like 900 miles away. I'll co-sign to beaterdit's post above especially how most people in Boulder perceive it as the center in the universe.

It defies geographic description, it is 30 square miles surrounded by reality.

Of course Boulder is in "The West" but there are many states and cities that make up the geographic region of the Western US/Rocky Mountain US, most of which better exemplify the spirit of "The West" IMO. Most people who live in Boulder think Boulder is the epicenter and epitome of all things "west" when in fact, Boulder is a yuppie town far from the real mountains filled with pretentious poseurs (present company excluded I'm sure). Sorry but it's true.
    Come on, at least give us credit for our mountains! No doubt that SLC has way better skiing nearby, but Boulder does have mountains that are 10,000 ft and above that are as close or closer than any near SLC (and cool foothills out our backyard). Unfortunately for us, they're not as skiable or as hospitable. The rest of your rant may or may not be true, I'm a patagonia wearing poseur douchebag so I'm not one to judge. But it is incorrect when it comes to how close the mountains are to Boulder. Unless by "Boulder" you meant "Denver".
    Last edited by Danno; 01-19-2011 at 03:48 PM.