Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Bozeman/Big Sky/Bridger

Hey all. The wife and I are taking a trip to Bozeman for a week in Feb (16-24) and are looking for deals on lift tickets to bridger/big sky/moonlight. Will be bringing touring skis also so any advice on easy to reach touring areas would also be appreciated. Staying in downtown bozeman for the week and am stoked to check out the town and some new (to me) ski areas. Thanks for any info or advice dispensed. Cheers.
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Cool, if you are brand new to the area then you should hike up Saddle Peak. You would have about as much knowledge as everyone else up there. Just wait till there are 6 or 8 other people on slope then punch the gut. Most likely the folks below you are big mountain riders and will easily make the 200 yard move to the safe spot, so no problem. But for real now, ski it all as it is all good and beehive basin up in Big Sky is probably the most no brainer tour spot.

Bridger is pretty cheap but no discounts, Moonlight tends to have discount tickets available in Bozeman, Big Sky is always the most expensive. If your going to do any BC stuff make sure you bookmark this site http://www.mtavalanche.com/.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    Cool, if you are brand new to the area then you should hike up Saddle Peak. You would have about as much knowledge as everyone else up there. Just wait till there are 6 or 8 other people on slope then punch the gut. Most likely the folks below you are big mountain riders and will easily make the 200 yard move to the safe spot, so no problem. But for real now, ski it all as it is all good and beehive basin up in Big Sky is probably the most no brainer tour spot.
    Im sure your sarcasm meter is pickin up the luv, saddle's a long hike to a blue square anyway d00d, way more gnar inbounds that'll stay put 4ya...

[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207163"]This[/ame] was a great thread of some touring around big sky by powdork. Might touch base with some of the locals who chimed in for some current beta...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

If you want to do some touring "at" Big Sky, the Kircher's Cliffs area to skiers right of Liberty Bowl has some fun options. But really, if this is your first time to BS and Bridger, it would be totally unnecessary to spend time hiking around. Everything off the South face of Lone Peak, the Couloir(s), Snowfields, Headwaters, A-Zs, and a bunch of shit up at Bridger is as long, steep, and potentially powdery as something you would spend 5 hours hiking up... The terrain is truly amazing. PM for more info about these resorts if you want.

PS: The trees at Marlboro Country (to the right of Wardance) are always DEEP, and have plenty of sick lines that are outrageously fun + Big Sky's only legitamate pillows (that I know of)

Quote Originally Posted by baseWeldr View Post
    Im sure your sarcasm meter is pickin up the luv, saddle's a long hike to a blue square anyway d00d, way more gnar inbounds that'll stay put 4ya...
    sorry if I was unclear, definatly sarcasm. Saddle is one of those low angle things that is kinda pointlessly sketch. The starting zone is Mike Weigelle 32 degrees so it never pulls out until it pulls out huge. The terrain in bounds is way more challenging and fun. No reason to ski it if u r not intamatly familiar with it and the snowpack; unless of course the only point of skiing it is to say you did in the Griz post sketch shred.

Unless you realy like to eat granola and be one with nature then the in bounds terrain at the three should keep you plenty satisfied.

Check out the Bridger Bowl Powder Hound Package on their website. It works out to costing $141.00 if you stay 4 nights at one of the properties listed. I went with my brother over xmas and paid $397 for 6 nights and 6 days skiing (4 at Bridger, 2 at Moonlight) at the Ramada Inn in town. I did not get bored at all skiing Bridger 4/6 days.

Where full grown men pretend to be cowboys
    Moonlight is selling 5 packs right now, just ring 'em.

I'll be in Big Lie starting Thurs night the 10th and leaving early Sunday morning the 13th. My pregnant wife will be with but not skiing and a couple of snowboarder friends will be with too. If anyone is out and about and wants to make some turns then let me know.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Also, just so you know, the headwaters/AZ hike is sketchy as hell. Not like, toned-down inbounds resort sketchy, but legitimately terrifying. I'm assuming with touring gear that you have a backpack that can hold your skis... Definitely strap your skis up and have both poles available if you're making the hike

REI in Bozeman has discount Moonlight Basin Tickets (a few bucks off)....

john c is way rad.

Yes I am way rad thanks. Right now it is a tossup to what is the gayest thing to do in the state of Montana. Ride low angle Saddle Peak or wait in an hour long tram line at big Sky for a beer can that goes to rocky flat light junk terrain with mega traverses and a bunch of bro bra's who couldn't even make the B team in Salt Lake City. Moonlight would be ripped on as well, but I do not count them as a ski hill, it takes snow to be one of those and all their's usually blows away to Jackson. But I am pretty sure their golf course sucks.

Yes I am way rad thanks. Right now it is a tossup to what is the gayest thing to do in the state of Montana. Ride low angle Saddle Peak or wait in an hour long tram line at big Sky for a beer can that goes to rocky flat light junk terrain with mega traverses and a bunch of bro bra's who couldn't even make the B team in Salt Lake City. Moonlight would be ripped on as well, but I do not count them as a ski hill, it takes snow to be one of those and all their's usually blows away to Jackson. But I am pretty sure their golf course sucks.
    Quoted for truth and that is some seriously funny shit.

Hick is sick! Condititons look perfect this morning for a gut shot of Saddle right off the bat. Windslab on top of windslab on top of Hardslab! Extremyness shall conquer even the deepest of slab. If anyone wants to ride it with me, and I mean WITH me, cuz I only ride that bitch 6 at a time. I will be up top in about 2 hours. Look for the goattee, i have a bro nick name, a pair of rockerd fatties, and an avalung to protect me. I have been riding the ridge for 20 years so am an expert big mtn rider.

why is John C so angry all the time?
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Or wait in the tram line for access to the longest vertical in the country, and also probably the country's longest sustained steep pitches?

Mid-week tickets on Liftopia for MLB sometimes go for as low as $38. Be sure to check that out.

Quote Originally Posted by montanaskier View Post
    why is John C so angry all the time?
    Men with very small units who get laughed at by women are usually pretty angry.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Nate, not that I would expect you to drop your 1/2 price b/s tix on me, I was wondering if a mere mortal would have a way to score such a deal. Jr. has a pass I do not.

You da man, will PM when I'm in town, brand of beer desired?
    End hijack.

Bunion and JApatriot apear to have posted in the wrong thred. Anyone who thinks Big sky has the longest vert or can do no better then toss an insult about one's cock size are clearly gapers. They should be quoting themselves in the biggest gaper quote of the weekend thred. Yep, we can see your Tetons from here, but that certainly does not mean the skiing is anywhere near as good. Does longest continual vert count if you have to ski over 500 feet of rocks then through avy debris then through some flat trees all to ride slow lifts, traverse half way to the moon, then ride some more slow lifts, then catch a bunch of tude in another hour long lift line to get it? Maybe...... if u just got here from Minnesota.

sooooo....John C hates Big Sky, ok, we get it. How bout you just SHUT THE FUCK UP, since nobody cares. You hate the gapers that douche out the ridge and the peak, we get it...nobody cares. Why do you take yourself and your fucking worthless opinion so seriously? How bout you post some stoke and stop with your constant negative nelly "TUDE". Oh I bet I know, you're too core for any stoke.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Bunion and JApatriot apear to have posted in the wrong thred. Anyone who thinks Big sky has the longest vert or can do no better then toss an insult about one's cock size are clearly gapers. They should be quoting themselves in the biggest gaper quote of the weekend thred. Yep, we can see your Tetons from here, but that certainly does not mean the skiing is anywhere near as good. Does longest continual vert count if you have to ski over 500 feet of rocks then through avy debris then through some flat trees all to ride slow lifts, traverse half way to the moon, then ride some more slow lifts, then catch a bunch of tude in another hour long lift line to get it? Maybe...... if u just got here from Minnesota.
    Are you kidding? South face of Lone Peak is about 2000 Vert of 40+ skiing. Where the hell else is something like that lift-accessed? Snowfields to the bottom of Moonlight is probably the most legit inbounds "big mountain" experience on the continent, rivaled only by stuff like Fantasy Ridge, some shit at Whistler, and Silver City/Wild West at Sunshine