Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whistler Mags, preguntas!

Greetings to the fine denizens of British Columbia! Uber-lurker Powholic (fka ChitownPow) and I will be invading your fair province in about a week to drink your beer, steal your women and ski your pow. OK, so we’re bringing our own beer (fucking Canadian booze taxes) and we’ve got our own women (who we’re conveniently leaving at home), but we’re really hoping to tee off on that pow part. As such I’ve got a few questions (first trip to Whistler for both of us).

- Lodging in Whistler: ideally, we’d like to dump the car (driving up from Seattle), be able to walk to lifts & the village (we like to get our drink on). Not possible from Creekside, Blueberry Hill, Nicholas North/Alpine Meadows? I assume there’s some sort of shuttle bus dealio? Or is it true that you ride the backs of drunken Aussies back and forth from the taverns?
    - Deals/suggestions to be had in above respect? (lodging, not the Aussies.) I figure giving VRBO is our best bet, but I had to throw it out there.
    - If lodging proves to be a bitch/too $ in Whistler, Squamish/elsewhere an easy drive? Motel 6’s/other dumpy joints within shouting distance?
    - Discounted tickets to be had anywhere?
    - Good shops for demoing/tunes?
    - Other hints/suggestions, cheap booze, eats, etc.?

If anyone is up for hooking up, we’ll gladly exchange a sixer of exotic-microtic Yankee beer for a tour of the goods. Otherwise, I plan on spending all of my time on the mountain blocking the entrance Spanky's. We’ll be up there for a weekish staring next Saturday, but are spending the middle of the week doing some sort of cat deal in Pemberton.

Peace und Gracias!

PTD

I DON'T KNOW WHY ALL YOU IDIOT YANKEES ASK ADVICE AT THE LAST MINUTE ABOUT A TRIP TO WHISTLER THAT YOU'VE OBVIOUSLY BEEN PLANNING FOR AWHILE LIKE LOOKING FOR LODGING.

ITS CALLED THE FUCKING INTERNET. SEARCH IT. YOU THINK THE BUMS ON TGR KNOW OF ANY BETTER ACCOMMODATIONS OR ARE SECRETLY FRIENDS WITH CFO'S OF HOTELS THAT ARE GOING TO GIVE DISCOUNTS TO PEOPLE THEY HAVE NEVER MET BEFORE. DO YOU OWN FUCKING HOMEWORK AND STOP ASKING FOR ADVICE.

SECONDLY YOUR LAME ATTEMPT AT TRYING TO BE FUNNY COMES OFF AS YOU BEING A TOTAL DOUCHE BAG. IF YOU WANT TO PARK THE CAR WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO STAY IN A PLACE THAT IS FAR AWAY FROM THE VILLAGE, FAR AWAY FROM RESTAURANTS, ETC. THE PLACES YOU HAVE LISTED ARE FOR RICH PEOPLE. YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO RENT THEIR MANSION FROM A BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHO WON'T EVEN BY BOOZE IN CANADA BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO CHEAP FOR A REASONABLE PRICE. GET FUCKING REAL.

THIS IS CANADA AND YOU HAVE ALREADY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT WE HAVE EXPENSIVE BOOZE. SO THE HELL WOULD YOU ASK FOR CHEAP BOOZE. YEAH I KNOW A GUY THAT SELLS MOONSHINE OUT OF HIS TUB. YOU WANT HIS CONTACT INFO.

IF I FIND A PICTURE OF YOU AND SEE YOU WAITING IN THE SPANKY'S LINE, I'M PERSONALLY GOING TO PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE AND KICK YOU IN THE NUTS YOU AMERICAN DUMBASS

oh to be as rad as a whistler brobrah
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by PassTheDutchie View Post
    Greetings to the fine denizens of British Columbia! Uber-lurker Powholic (fka ChitownPow) and I will be invading your fair province in about a week to drink your beer, steal your women and ski your pow. OK, so we’re bringing our own beer (fucking Canadian booze taxes) and we’ve got our own women (who we’re conveniently leaving at home), but we’re really hoping to tee off on that pow part. As such I’ve got a few questions (first trip to Whistler for both of us).

- Lodging in Whistler: ideally, we’d like to dump the car (driving up from Seattle), be able to walk to lifts & the village (we like to get our drink on). Not possible from Creekside, Blueberry Hill, Nicholas North/Alpine Meadows? I assume there’s some sort of shuttle bus dealio? Or is it true that you ride the backs of drunken Aussies back and forth from the taverns?
    - Deals/suggestions to be had in above respect? (lodging, not the Aussies.) I figure giving VRBO is our best bet, but I had to throw it out there.
    - If lodging proves to be a bitch/too $ in Whistler, Squamish/elsewhere an easy drive? Motel 6’s/other dumpy joints within shouting distance?
    - Discounted tickets to be had anywhere?
    - Good shops for demoing/tunes?
    - Other hints/suggestions, cheap booze, eats, etc.?

If anyone is up for hooking up, we’ll gladly exchange a sixer of exotic-microtic Yankee beer for a tour of the goods. Otherwise, I plan on spending all of my time on the mountain blocking the entrance Spanky's. We’ll be up there for a weekish staring next Saturday, but are spending the middle of the week doing some sort of cat deal in Pemberton.

Peace und Gracias!

PTD
    SHALOM!!!

I WELCOME ANY WITH A PENCHANT FOR BARGAINS SUCH AS YOURSELF.

YOU CAN FIND ME HERE http://shalombc.org/Whistler%20Sinai%20Centre ON SHABOT.

Quote Originally Posted by jongsinwhistler View Post
    I DON'T KNOW WHY ALL YOU IDIOT YANKEES ASK ADVICE AT THE LAST MINUTE ABOUT A TRIP TO WHISTLER THAT YOU'VE OBVIOUSLY BEEN PLANNING FOR AWHILE LIKE LOOKING FOR LODGING.

ITS CALLED THE FUCKING INTERNET. SEARCH IT. YOU THINK THE BUMS ON TGR KNOW OF ANY BETTER ACCOMMODATIONS OR ARE SECRETLY FRIENDS WITH CFO'S OF HOTELS THAT ARE GOING TO GIVE DISCOUNTS TO PEOPLE THEY HAVE NEVER MET BEFORE. DO YOU OWN FUCKING HOMEWORK AND STOP ASKING FOR ADVICE.

SECONDLY YOUR LAME ATTEMPT AT TRYING TO BE FUNNY COMES OFF AS YOU BEING A TOTAL DOUCHE BAG. IF YOU WANT TO PARK THE CAR WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO STAY IN A PLACE THAT IS FAR AWAY FROM THE VILLAGE, FAR AWAY FROM RESTAURANTS, ETC. THE PLACES YOU HAVE LISTED ARE FOR RICH PEOPLE. YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO RENT THEIR MANSION FROM A BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHO WON'T EVEN BY BOOZE IN CANADA BECAUSE THEY ARE TOO CHEAP FOR A REASONABLE PRICE. GET FUCKING REAL.

THIS IS CANADA AND YOU HAVE ALREADY ACKNOWLEDGED THAT WE HAVE EXPENSIVE BOOZE. SO THE HELL WOULD YOU ASK FOR CHEAP BOOZE. YEAH I KNOW A GUY THAT SELLS MOONSHINE OUT OF HIS TUB. YOU WANT HIS CONTACT INFO.

IF I FIND A PICTURE OF YOU AND SEE YOU WAITING IN THE SPANKY'S LINE, I'M PERSONALLY GOING TO PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE AND KICK YOU IN THE NUTS YOU AMERICAN DUMBASS
    Thanks for the help! Good to know that the Village is expensive! Just the type of info I was looking for--having never been to Whistler, I figured as much, but it's great to have a first hand scoop from a local!

And, yes, contact info for the moonshine guy would be great! From what I understand, we're only allowed to bring in one case of beer/person/entry, so 24 beers/7 days=less than four beers/day. Unless a case in Canada equals more than 24 beers? LOL!! That'd be awesome!!! LOL, let me know!!
    Last edited by PassTheDutchie; 01-14-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Canada uses the metric system. One case = 1,000 beers. You should be ok
    "A witty saying proves nothing."

you my friend are a world class dick...someone just asks for alittle help and your the almighty.....And you would do what ..punch someone in the mouth...you must be very educated fucking asshole.......
    always forward but never straight

I've declared up to 30 beer within a day visit to the states (not allowed to bring any with less than 24 hours) and easily smuggled 4 24's and just saying 'i have a couple cases'. But think of it this way.. a 24 of fairly shitty beer (bowen, hell's gate, cariboo, etc.) is about 32 bucks. you can get a 24 of good terminal gravity, deschutes, etc. beer in the states for what, about 24? tax to bring it over is ~50%, which would be another $12, which equals a $36 two-four of really good beer. alternatively get junk like keystone ice and you are still well cheaper than beer up here even AFTER declaring/paying tax if they ask you to (which they never have for me).

as for whistler, i suggest you do a huge shopping at save on foods in squamish; the IGA in whistler is marked up 50-100% for a lot of stuff. also stop at a 7-11 in vancouver if you want some lift ticket discounts.. not sure their prices right now but its probably at least $10 off. alternatively get an edge card since you are from WA.. that may be your best option.

free parking can be tough so try to get a place with parking. alluradirect.com is one way to look for places (people's condos they rent out), which often have free parking that come with them.

you can ski directly from creekside but most of the nightlife is in actual whistler. if you are anywhere else you can use the transit system for $2 a shot (increasing to 2.50 Feb 1st bleh) or get a 7 day pass. you'll no doubt have fun anywhere you stay

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    you my friend are a world class dick...someone just asks for alittle help and your the almighty.....And you would do what ..punch someone in the mouth...you must be very educated fucking asshole.......
    They crunch #'s and such all day, so don't mind the pent up aggression.

With all due respect, anyone attempting to block the entrance to Spanky's can expect a punch in the face from pretty much everyone walking past. Whistler is a gong show as it is, so you will not find much hand holding from the interweb. All I can say is avoid holidays and weekends like the plague and you will have a good time.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Alluradirect is sweet, last minute deals can be found.
    Nesters > IGA.
    7-11 tickets suck now, like $90 or so. Shell ski-free is great if you're not in the blackout times. Otherwise, edge card wins.

I'm pretty sure the shell vouchers are no good until April this year. If you can show WA residency a 5 day edge card will be the hands down winner for best ticket deal
    "A witty saying proves nothing."

EDGE cards are on sale until sometime in Feb, 3 days for $210 I think? It's on the Whistler website, best deal by far. The Whistler website also has last minute hotel deals, it doesn't say the hotel, so open another window and put in the same info on the normal reservation system and look at the hotel description to figure out which one it is. You want to stay in the village if you want access to all the restaurants and bars without walking. Most hotels charge $20-30 for parking per night.

In addition to blocking Spanky's you should stop at the start of the goatpath at Whistler to strap your skis/snowboard to your pack for the hike (saw that this week).

http://whistler.en.craigslist.ca/sss/

lots of deals - 2 for 1 tics, discounts. You should be paying less than 70 a ticket if you look hard enough. Have fun.

resortac.com or alluradirect.com for private condo rentals. Have used both and found bigger, nicer places for much less than hotel prices. You might also find good hotel rates at Hotwire.com

Hard to beat an Edge card for lift tix.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    EDGE cards are on sale until sometime in Feb, 3 days for $210 I think? It's on the Whistler website, best deal by far. The Whistler website also has last minute hotel deals, it doesn't say the hotel, so open another window and put in the same info on the normal reservation system and look at the hotel description to figure out which one it is. You want to stay in the village if you want access to all the restaurants and bars without walking. Most hotels charge $20-30 for parking per night.

In addition to blocking Spanky's you should stop at the start of the goatpath at Whistler to strap your skis/snowboard to your pack for the hike (saw that this week).
    Residency is OR and IL, unfortunately. We've been waiting on the snow conditions to tell our path. We've got 2 days at backcountry cats Tue and Wed, part of the 40th B-day celebration for the Dutchie. Other than that we are open to anywhere in BC or WA.

Would appreciate some mountain guidance too, there will be a Volvo 240 full of OR beers for our guides. Mainly IIPA's but a few Pales for the Dutchie unrefined taste buds. Cases of 22oz beers is my thought for now...Ninkasi are nice!

Lodging and lifts: I prefer Creekside, but I'm biased. It's much more chill than the village. The Creek Gondi is usually the shortest lineup, assuming it isn't a huge powder day, and you can drag yourself to the lift before 8:30 or so (after 9, it can be a full gong show with ski school and the late rising crowd). Parking is still free and easy in the Creek, and with the Peak to Peak you can get to Blackcomb no problem. Don't bother with Pemberton or Squamish for lodging. The commute will put a serious damper on your drinking. New drunk driving laws in BC mean that one beer probably is dangerous, two or more will definately get you screwed if you're stopped by the police.

Boozing: You can get plenty drunk and entertained in Creekside at Dusty's or Roland's (pub style). If you want the full village experience complete with nightclubs, it's only a 2 dollar bus or 10 dollar cab ride away.

Basically get the cheapest accom you can find (allura direct is good, as mentioned) and then just bus or cab around town.

For ski shops I like Summit (base of the Whistler Village Gondi) or Escape Route (near McDonalds). Having said that, everything ski related is overpriced in Whistler, so bring everything you need with you.

Food: shop in Squamish on your way up. Everything here is too expensive. Samurai Sushi for good cheap sushi. Splitz burgers for great burgers. Bucket of Bones at Dusty's for good BBQ.

Skiing: Go up in the morning, and NEVER ski all the way to the valley until you're done for the day. Whistler for tree skiing, Blackcomb for alpine. Bring your touring gear if you have it, in case the sun comes out (which it hasn't this year very much!) 604 905 2324 (ext 1) for no bullshit weather. That's about all I'm willing to divulge on the net, but PM me when you're in town, perhaps we can hook up for some laps.

PS Jewsinwhistler, my new favorite TGR alias! Shalom!

shawn delivering the goods again! but 8:30 for creekside on weekends is even too late these days with the pay parking fiasco....if there's snow be there for 8 and you're laughing

Only pussies hide behind their alias when they post shit like this. jewsinwhistler...now that was some funny shit.
    "The idea wasnt for me, that I would be the only one that would ever do this. My idea was that everybody should be doing this. At the time nobody was, but this was something thats too much fun to pass up." -Briggs
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Wear your climbing harness. Attach a big anodized locker to your belay loop so its in prime position to hit your nuts. Double russian Ti icescrews on your side loops positioned for maximal anal rape when you sit down. Then everyone will know your radness
    More stoke, less shit.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    shawn delivering the goods again! but 8:30 for creekside on weekends is even too late these days with the pay parking fiasco....if there's snow be there for 8 and you're laughing
    +1
    dont bother at 930 on a saturday or holiday. better off taking the bus to the village and riding blackcomb. which is better anyway...

What days are you skiing? I might be around solo a bunch next week, send me a PM.

Blackcomb for Alpine and Whis for trees? I guess i have to explore whistler more. I would have thought it the other way around. Peak and harmoney for alpine, Fragle, cbc, p2p lift line and the trees beside 7th lift for tree runs.

But Blackcomb does have spanky's and all the runs by the couloir extreme.

whistler doesn't have any trees. nothing past the boundary that is worth it. of course not. shhhh

Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    whistler doesn't have any trees. nothing past the boundary that is worth it. of course not. shhhh
    omg nobody knows about khyber, keep that one quiet!

I was talking in bounds

Quote Originally Posted by skibum_jr View Post
    I was talking in bounds
    yet you mentioned cbc?