BD Factor: Preliminary Impressions

Ordered a pair of BD Factor boots which arrived today. Now, they don't fit, so I'll be sending them back. However, here's my initial impressions.

1) Pretty green colours!

2) The box looked pretty beat up from its journey through the mail.

3) The walk mode is broken in one of the boots. At first I thought that the 130 Flex was just severely overstated, but after putting on other boot,there was the stiffness I expected. For some reason the walk lever isn't hooking properly, and the boot just flexes right forward, it does catch when flexing backwards, but still...

I'm not sure if these boots are using the old or the new mechanism.

double u - tee - ef?

Yeah, here I was thinking the problem was that the lock mechanism would break if someone was hucking 30' cliffs. Not something I normally do. The fact that the right boot arrived with a defective lock is disheartening. Is there any way I can check if these boots have the new or the old system?

The new system is all black, while the old system has some silver bits.

new system ---- old system

same s***

this boot is called! the hartest for the hardest!, just gives me a smile

I'm not quite sure I understand your last statement.

Anyways, I checked and it's got the old mechanism. Still, I find it odd that what appears to be a rough trip through the mail could cause this to fail.

ok, i had the bd factor last year for 2 weeks

and i sent i back to bd and got my money back.

so the history

08/09 i saw a bd sponsered guy ( waering factor boots and a megawat testski)
    in the gondola chating with his friend. i just looked and checked what they were talking about. he showed his friend that if he leans back the locking mode from skiing jumps into walking.

last season i bought a pair my self, skied it on the first day run nr. 3 ofpiste no pow. the lock opend and i wipedout.

in this first week i heared of a guy skiing in the WQT, he jumped a kicker in the park 10m straight jump - landed- mechanisim released - booooom

another local guy, all in the same week, skiing a contest. boot released into walking mode, and he fell in a 30deg steep channel.

i lost confidence in bd boots, at all.
    they knew about the problem and released the boot.
    thats a no no.

heared other stories from shops in st. anton. blablablab

if u need a freeride boot go with nordica (enforcer/jahlove) or lange (rx).
    if u need a touring boot think about a garmont (shogun/radium)

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post

last season i bought a pair my self, skied it on the first day run nr. 3 ofpiste no pow. the lock opend and i wipedout.

in this first week i heared of a guy skiing in the WQT, he jumped a kicker in the park 10m straight jump - landed- mechanisim released - booooom

another local guy, all in the same week, skiing a contest. boot released into walking mode, and he fell in a 30deg steep channel.
    That's all it takes to make you fall? Maybe the problem is not the boot.

might not be the best park boot
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

You might have gotten an older boot. They fixed the walk mode awhile ago. 130 flex is a myth, really the whole scale to test that is difficult to lock down. Send back to BD warranty and they should hook you up. Not sure why someone would use that boot for park or for a comp. It's a touring boot for people who aren't shaving grams and like a better down experience

i lost confidence in bd boots, at all.
    they knew about the problem and released the boot.
    thats a no no.
    It's a very well know problem that has been fixed, and they upgraded the mechanism 2x. I have the second release and have never had any issues, but I did send an email to BD to simply ask if it was upgraded again. He asked for my address and I had a new pair of mechanisms within a few days, and I wasn't even asking for replacements as i've never had problems. BD customer service for the win. The support for their products is quite awesome.

this says the bd homepage and thats a myth

the ultra-stiff Black Diamond Factor is built for the biggest lines and hardest chargers around the globe. Born, tested and perfected in Utah's Wasatch Mountains, this freeride machine is the ultimate combination of alpine and backcountry boot technology. The Factor locks you in for a powerful ride with direct-to-ski control thanks to its uncompromising Flex 130 Triax Pro Frame, extra-wide power strap and Power Fit Liner with Boa closure. With a simple flip of the ski/walk mode lever, it transforms into a smooth operator on the skin track or boot pack with 20º of resistance-free motion. Interchangeable Alpine Sole Blocks (included) or optional AT Sole Blocks give you a wide range of binding options.

so biggest lines is more than a 10m straight jump in my opinion

freeride machine ????

get 20 degree movment on on ski unexpected??? maybe i am not good enough to ski this boot..... in need more reliable equipment!

and yes thanks bd to give me the money back for a product u sold, which did not work!!! and good that u had to change stuff twice on a product wich is out on the market and did not need to recall it. and still selling stuff with old system inside.....

i like bd gloves they a really warm

guys sorry that i hate around here in the forum. it rained up to 2200m abouve sealevel and did not snow since 3 weeks. it is depressing.

and good that u had to change stuff twice on a product wich is out on the market and did not need to recall it
    I am not one to defend companies, and that's not what I am trying to do here. They had a problem and fixed it. Why recall the entire line when the fix is as easy and changing out the mechanism at home?? It's easy to do, and it's way faster to just send out the new part, which is what they did. Easy peasy, problem solved. Maybe you just got an old boot that had been sitting at the retailer since the first run......

It's spelled Facotr and it is the greatest most amazing earthshattering AT boot in the entire history of civilization. I read that on TGR Tech Talk so it's gotta be true

BD, huh. I have been emailing them trying to get some new walk modes and a new Dynafit heal piece for the AT block. The little metal piece popped off when I popped off my ski at the car. They have not been to good at responding and dont seem to enthusiastic about sending me the replacement parts. Must not like Canadians! Last BD boots for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfish View Post
    BD, huh. I have been emailing them trying to get some new walk modes and a new Dynafit heal piece for the AT block. The little metal piece popped off when I popped off my ski at the car. They have not been to good at responding and dont seem to enthusiastic about sending me the replacement parts. Must not like Canadians! Last BD boots for me.
    Interesting. They've always been very responsive to my emails.

That said, there's this thing that was patented by Alexander Graham Bell in 1876 that I've heard is still an effective means of communicating...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Interesting. They've always been very responsive to my emails.
    If you are e-mailing someone in customer service that is very unusual.
    BDL's customer service is generally top notch. I picked my current boots up used, they replaced the tour mode mechanism no questions asked, FOC.

With regard to the stiffness of the Factor.
    I had a pair of Factors and ended up selling them as they were stiffer than what I was interested in. I weigh in at about 185, and found them to be nearly as stiff as my Technica plug boots, something I don't need in a touring boot regardless of the terrain.