Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Denver Mags: Where to get good food near the airport?

I've got a good friend who's gonna be in town tomorrow on a layover for a few hours and we were gonna grab a bite to eat somewhere while she's on the ground. I've only been here for a couple of weeks and most of that time has been spent in the mountains on the snow. So what are some good local joints near the airport (20-25min drive radius) that would offer up some good food. She's been down in Costa Rica for the last 4months so anything along those lines is no good as far as I'm concerned. We're both pretty adventurous when it comes to cuisine (I'll eat tripe, tendons, etc), so other types of ethic food are fine.

So what'cha got? Also, since I'm new in town, any other food places I should check out for my own personal knowledge? (FWIW, I'm near DU)

So far I know:
    Pho on 6th
    The worldly Q (damn bood barbeque by anyone's standards)
    Khaos Pizza
    Sushi Den (too expensive for my ski bum budget right now unfortunately)
    Wahoo's (of course)
    Hansen's (meh, I've had better)

edit: I know the aforementioned spots from [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199104"]this trip[/ame] out here this summer.

Thanks.
    Last edited by pbourdon; 01-11-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

There's a Burger King.

Casa Bonita
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

She has been in costa rica? she wants a good beer and a good meal? Falling rock tap house and they have nice couches.

Fuck sushi Den, DOMO rules all for Japanese food. Plus sushi den is too far. I go to Sushi Den once or twice a year and like it. good, but not DOMO.

If Vietnamese is on the menu, just google the closest to DIA. Most PHO is the same. Unless its New Saigon, the best in town and too far.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Take her to a no-tell Motel, and eat HER.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    There's a Burger King.
    Heh....awesome. Folks, say no more. We have a winner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    Casa Bonita
    Seriously? Like the place Cartman wants to go super bad on his birthday or whatever? Heh, that might almost be worth it, just to say I've been there.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    She has been in costa rica? she wants a good beer and a good meal? Falling rock tap house and they have nice couches.
    What are the prices like? Remember she's coming back from studying abroad (hopefully a few....), and I'm working at LL.

Fuck sushi Den, DOMO rules all for Japanese food. Plus sushi den is too far. I go to Sushi Den once or twice a year and like it. good, but not DOMO.
    Thanks man, I'll have to check it out.

[
    If Vietnamese is on the menu, just google the closest to DIA. Most PHO is the same. Unless its New Saigon, the best in town and too far.
    Most PHO is not the same. Pho on 6th doesn't hold a candle to this little hole in the wall in Grand Rapids, MI. They've been there for 10+years and everytime I've ever been in there I'm always the only non-Vietnamese person in there and the place is usually packed. Its outta hand good. So I guess I'll have to check out New Saigon, 'cause Pho on 6th just ain't cuttin' it.
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Take her to a no-tell Motel, and eat HER.
    Rideit FTW!!! After all, her sister will be with her too. I could go for a nice two course lunch tomorrow any way.
    the-one-track-mind

Quote Originally Posted by pbourdon View Post
    Heh....awesome. Folks, say no more. We have a winner!!!
    What can I say? I'm just that classy.

Quote Originally Posted by karpiel View Post
    What can I say? I'm just that classy.
    I wondered what that was dripping off of you.
    the-one-track-mind

Falling rock is moderately priced, say @10 bux in food each (make sure to get the beer battered shrooms). Beers are somewhat pricey but more than one?the experience is worth it. Number one or 2 beer house in the USA or something? Cask temp beers too. Some of the best Burgers in the USA. Great service. Make sure if you sit at a table or couch, to check out the bar.

The big leather couches and vibe is cool. exit park ave downtown off I25 South (you do not actually get on I25, just exit I70). Easy back on to I70E. Right next to Coors field.
    Terje was right.

t.

[
    Most PHO is not the same. Pho on 6th doesn't hold a candle to this little hole in the wall in Grand Rapids, MI. They've been there for 10+years and everytime I've ever been in there I'm always the only non-Vietnamese person in there and the place is usually packed. Its outta hand good. So I guess I'll have to check out New Saigon, 'cause Pho on 6th just ain't cuttin' it.
    Yeah, most Pho is not the same....true. But here in denver we have a lot of places, so they all blend together. New Saigon is almost better than my 10 fav Bay area and Long Beach joints.
    Terje was right.

Wahoo's FTW! Just run over to that deserted mall on Quebec and I-70 and get your fish taco & PBR on. She'll be so thrilled with the tacos and cheap beer that she won't even notice that you arrived to pick her up with the rear seats folded down in your Subaru. After dinner you can head up to the 45 minute waiting area on Pena Blvd and park all the way in the back. Then you can welcome her back to the states in the proper fashion.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Wahoo's FTW! Just run over to that deserted mall on Quebec and I-70 and get your fish taco & PBR on. She'll be so thrilled with the tacos and cheap beer that she won't even notice that you arrived to pick her up with the rear seats folded down in your Subaru. After dinner you can head up to the 45 minute waiting area on Pena Blvd and park all the way in the back. Then you can welcome her back to the states in the proper fashion.
    I had considered Wahoo's for sure. My only reservation about there would be that after 4months in Costa Rica she's probably had a lot of that kind of food (but having never been to CR, I don't know what the cuisine is like so I could be wrong). That and the fact that, Wahoo's aren't the kind of fish tacos I'm hoping to fill up on.
    the-one-track-mind

All those places are way to far away from the airport to do during a couple hour layover. Wahoos in Northfield maybe but there is no way you will get to Casa Bonita and back and still have any time for the sex. There is a pretty decent diner (Moonlight Diner) off of Tower road which is my go to place for such occasions. Its a diner so its not very adventurous but just thought I would throw it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    All those places are way to far away from the airport to do during a couple hour layover. Wahoos in Northfield maybe but there is no way you will get to Casa Bonita and back and still have any time for the sex. There is a pretty decent diner (Moonlight Diner) off of Tower road which is my go to place for such occasions. Its a diner so its not very adventurous but just thought I would throw it out there.
    Yeah, something tells me that with her sister in tow there won't be any sex going down unfortunately. As much as it would make for a great story, realistically I don't see that happening. However, if I'm wrong (sweet baby jebus I hope I am), I'll be sure to post a full TR with pics.

FWIW, they have 4hours on the ground. I'm looking at Wahoo's and this place:

Vietnamese Cuisine
    4701 Peoria St # 47, Denver, CO 80239 (303) 576-0699 ‎

They have good reviews on google, and have been there since '95. Anybody been there?
    the-one-track-mind

If it were me and I were coming back from 4months abroad, I'd be looking for a damn good burger or pizza, but that's just me. Any suggestions in that realm? Options are always a good thing.
    the-one-track-mind

There is nothing very close to the airport, how much time do you have? You could go to the Berkshire in Stapleton and eat pig.

As for general recommendations, go into tech talk and search for "compendium", it should pull up the colorado restaurant thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Yeah, most Pho is not the same....true. But here in denver we have a lot of places, so they all blend together. New Saigon is almost better than my 10 fav Bay area and Long Beach joints.
    We do have a lot of pho, but if you think that New Saigon is the best then you're not hitting the right ones. Try Pho Duy or Pho 95 in Broomfield on 120th (near the Pacific Ocean Seafood Market). Here's a list by the former Westword food critic of his favorite pho in Denver. I haven't pho'd across the country, but the consensus seems to be that Denver has some of the best pho in the US.

And there is no good food near the airport. It's chain/sprawl country out there.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

If a real good burger is in order I would check out Ted's Montana Grill, there is one close to the airport and the burgers are goood.

http://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/

Fuck Teds, if you have time for teds, Falling Rock has way better burgers and is closer.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    We do have a lot of pho, but if you think that New Saigon is the best then you're not hitting the right ones. Try Pho Duy or Pho 95 in Broomfield on 120th (near the Pacific Ocean Seafood Market). Here's a list by the former Westword food critic of his favorite pho in Denver. I haven't pho'd across the country, but the consensus seems to be that Denver has some of the best pho in the US.

And there is no good food near the airport. It's chain/sprawl country out there.
    Have you been to New Saigon? Best noddles, broth and prep IMHO.

I thought all the numbered Pho places were a chain? I have tried a few and they were all similar.

I will for sure try Pho Duy.
    Terje was right.

Yeah, something tells me that with her sister in tow there won't be any sex going down unfortunately. As much as it would make for a great story, realistically I don't see that happening. However, if I'm wrong (sweet baby jebus I hope I am), I'll be sure to post a full TR with pics.

FWIW, they have 4hours on the ground. I'm looking at Wahoo's and this place:

Vietnamese Cuisine
    4701 Peoria St # 47, Denver, CO 80239 (303) 576-0699 ‎

They have good reviews on google, and have been there since '95. Anybody been there?
    I am sure it is good....but a burger would be better.
    Terje was right.

Fuck Teds, if you have time for teds, Falling Rock has way better burgers and is closer.
    Falling Rock is closer? Is there another location not downtown? because there's a Ted's pretty much at 70 and Pena. How is Lodo closer to DIA than that???

But I'd go to the Berkshire (locally owned place) before Ted's, even though the Berkshire is slightly farther that Ted's (but still way closer than Falling Rock).

Honestly, anyone suggesting places like that for someone asking for good food near the airport is fucking retarded. With 4 hours on the ground, that is WAY too far to travel.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Danno thanks for the heads up on the Berkshire, that $50 burger sounds killer.

Plus how can you go wrong with lobster mac and cheese.

I'm going to go a direction away from Denver and toward my old ghetto stomping grounds just to mix it up. 20min from the airport.
    http://www.vietnamesecafe.com/
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/sushi-tokoro-denver-2
    http://www.tasteofphilly.biz/content...ategory/49/73/