Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    There is nothing very close to the airport, how much time do you have? You could go to the Berkshire in Stapleton and eat pig.

As for general recommendations, go into tech talk and search for "compendium", it should pull up the colorado restaurant thread.
    That place looks solid; but remember we're talking about a ski bum and a student just back from traveling for 4months. Place is just a little pricey. Not too bad, but I'd easily drop $18 there. Ideally, I'm looking for something more in the $12 out the door range. I know that's cheap, but I also know there have to be some tight little hole in the wall places that are good at what they do.

We'll probably have about 3hrs or a little under to burn. But I also don't wanna go on a wild goose chase all over Denver either you know?

Edit: Taste of Philly is definitely decent. I've eaten at the one over on Colorado. Not too shabby, but nothing that great either.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Quote Originally Posted by pbourdon View Post
    That place looks solid; but remember we're talking about a ski bum and a student just back from traveling for 4months. Place is just a little pricey. Not too bad, but I'd easily drop $18 there. Ideally, I'm looking for something more in the $12 out the door range. I know that's cheap, but I also know there have to be some tight little hole in the wall places that are good at what they do.
    There may be, but realize that everything that could vaguely be described as close to DIA has been built or redeveloped in the last 10 years. Which means that there's less time for hole in the wall places to develop, and also means that the populations served in those areas are cookie-cutter subdivisions, which is less conducive to hole in the wall places, not to mention less conducive to TGR padded room inhabitants (so if there's something there, nobody here will know about it).

This thread: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/690362 may have some ideas, but the chowhound consensus is usually that there's nothing good close to the airport.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Falling Rock is closer? Is there another location not downtown? because there's a Ted's pretty much at 70 and Pena. How is Lodo closer to DIA than that???

But I'd go to the Berkshire (locally owned place) before Ted's, even though the Berkshire is slightly farther that Ted's (but still way closer than Falling Rock).

Honestly, anyone suggesting places like that for someone asking for good food near the airport is fucking retarded. With 4 hours on the ground, that is WAY too far to travel.
    The retarded comment is uncalled for.

As for time, DIA to Downtown is pretty fast, more so to Falling Rock. Not during the whopping 30min of rush hour (oh my god), it takes less than 15min to I25/I70. I fly 5-6 times a month and have had every variation of time/conditions coming to and from DIA.

I was thinking about the teds down on Laramie. Even better if there is one up off Pena....best choice after living down in central America.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

It takes you less than 15 minutes to go 24 miles?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

There may be, but realize that everything that could vaguely be described as close to DIA has been built or redeveloped in the last 10 years. Which means that there's less time for hole in the wall places to develop, and also means that the populations served in those areas are cookie-cutter subdivisions, which is less conducive to hole in the wall places, not to mention less conducive to TGR padded room inhabitants (so if there's something there, nobody here will know about it).

This thread: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/690362 may have some ideas, but the chowhound consensus is usually that there's nothing good close to the airport.
    Right on. I was kind of afraid of that. Like I said, driving 25-30mins one way isn't that big of a deal if a place is worth it. Also, that compendium thread you recommended definitely has some places that are worth checking out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

I vote Snooze on Colorado. Probably about 25 minutes each way. Closes at 2:30 though.......not sure what time she lands

Emilene's has a great steak but is a bit pricey.

I can't remember what it's called but the restaurant in the Bass Pro Shop is surprisingly good, and not too expensive, IMHO.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    If a real good burger is in order I would check out Ted's Montana Grill, there is one close to the airport and the burgers are goood.

http://www.tedsmontanagrill.com/
    +1 to that, Ted's rocks, amazing burgers, cool atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Have you been to New Saigon? Best noddles, broth and prep IMHO.

I thought all the numbered Pho places were a chain? I have tried a few and they were all similar.

I will for sure try Pho Duy.
    Been to New Saigon. It's very good, don't get me wrong. But I think some of the best pho specialty places are better.

The numbered places aren't all related (some probably are). That's just how new Vietnamese immigrants tend to name their restaurants here - they pick the year they arrived, a number that has significance for their family, etc. They definitely vary, so don't judge one based on the others.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

I also noticed there is a "Toby Keith" restaurant in Northfield area near the Bass Pro shop. I have no idea if it is shitty or not but I would find it amusing if I was travelling out the country for 4 months and my first meal was......... "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue"

Face it, in 3 hours round trip from DIA you are not going to find anything hipster cool without driving 45 minutes each way and scarfing down the food when you are there because they are worried about missing their flight. Might as well go for the lolz.

Falling Rock is far and away the best suggestion so far. Wahoo's?? You're taking someone that's been in CR for four months for fish tacos?? Also, if she's traveling, an Asian place may not be the best place to re-introduce her to US bacteria.

DasBlunt, very interested in that top 10 Gay Area Pho list.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

So, where did you take the hot sisters?

Pics or GTFO!LOL!

Hey, BS720, let me dig it up and send it. It is LALA land too. more like long beach area, I stay out in Palos Los Verdes when i go to LA for "work".
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Been to New Saigon. It's very good, don't get me wrong. But I think some of the best pho specialty places are better.

The numbered places aren't all related (some probably are). That's just how new Vietnamese immigrants tend to name their restaurants here - they pick the year they arrived, a number that has significance for their family, etc. They definitely vary, so don't judge one based on the others.
    New Saigon puts many of my fav Bay area and LA places to shame. Not just Pho, this is big time, old school. fine dinning too.
    Curry....yes, Viet Curry, amazing. Just go in a late week night and watch what the other Viet big table family's are eating....some great dishes.

They have a sister/aunt eatery down in Centennial and they have some Viet style wings...crazy good.
    Terje was right.

id go as far as colorado blvd if you have the time.

Plenty of good places 10 min off the exit.

Tommy Thai's
    Madison St.
    Basiten's (ol skool steak house)

The Elm is dark and boston centric if you are int to that- just pub food
    if its around HH goto the Cork House -good cheap HH
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow