convert your old net into a safe rubber trout net one

I have been wanting one of those new rubber trout nets that do not eat the hooks on your flies and that are gentler on the trout's slimy layer. Something like this Brodin Trout Ghost Landing Net Cost at least $90 online and over $100 in flyshops.

I found that you can buy just the replacement net here (i don't know these guys but its the least expensive i found and based in SLC) and I decided to try one in my old net which probably cost $25 but has a decent wood handle and looks very similar. The Brodin Ghost are clear so that supposedly they don't "scare the fish". Not sure but we want every advantage possible right? Maybe that black netting was why I was having such a hard time landing them on the Missouri last fall?

I started with my old net. I measured the circumference at 38" and ordered the Medium sized replacement net which measures 39". ( Small = 34", Medium = 39", Large = 45", XL = 56")

I cut out the old netting and the line that ties it in through the eyeholes. I also cut off the unnecessary loops on top of the replacement net to connect the main net directly to the wood.

The replacement net comes with string and i took a modified hair clip to thread the string through. It took a couple iterations but finally i managed to secure the net to the wooden basket. I started on one side near the handle, worked all the way through to the other side, and then worked all the way back. The stringed part of the basket looks great, although my finishing knot leaves a little to be desired, i improvised a bit. Here is the finished product:

Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Nice work, but I thought I would add something for those looking to do something similar.

Below are two pictures of my net. I noticed you mentioned cutting off the loops on the top of the net.

As you can see in the picture, those loops are used to attach the net in asimple way, assuming that the wood hoop you are using has the holes in the right place. If it does not, you could cut those tabs off and just use the top row.

I thought a close up of how the net is attached my be helpful. Notice the rope is threaded back threw the same hole it came out of....I would not of realized this was the way to do it on my own....maybe the rest of you guys are smarter then me though.

Last edited by gretch6364; 01-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

That looks great, nice work.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

i'm pretty sure I can get a black rubber net in town for about 25 bucks. I was surprised by the price and havent bought one yet but will soon.