Page 24 of 82 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
    I like the 22Designs jig, I may have to butter up to laps and borrow it if I ever need to mount new skis.
    If it were mine, you’d be welcome to it, but it belongs to a buddy who owns a shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

Stupid telemarking.... mild case of skiers thumb as a result of a small crash getting hung up on trailing ski I think, that'd never have happened on alpine gear. Taking today off, maybe doing snake style for a while on alpine gear to prevent reinjury

New Tele setup. Will post a review once I get some time on them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220124_200750.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	402724

Is Tele dead? Apparently, since no one wants to gear I posted on Gear Swap.

It's cuz you're asking too much

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    New Tele setup. Will post a review once I get some time on them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220124_200750.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	402724
    Looks like a versatile and fun setup.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Not all who wander are lost"

The twenty two designs hhs didn’t like the bomber plates. The difference in the plastic is drastic. Mounted my old rr hhs instead. Has to do with the improved design of the pivots I imagine. They had to push the wall of the riser in so the Allen head bolts don’t fit too well now. Honestly I prefer the rr toe piece though it might be marginally heavier.

I need an acronym definition list.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    It's cuz you're asking too much
    Probably

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    hh = hammerhead
    rr = russell rainey

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    hh = hammerhead
    rr = russell rainey
    Thx.

I remember when rr and sh were showing the hh at OR before it’s beta test version. It was a secret on the show floor behind the curtain. Skied the “secret” Lincoln around that time, too.

I’m still debating in my head the inserts versus binding plate when shifting my quiver to ntn. Costs vs pita. I supposed I can also install screws to ski and then transition later to plate and/or insert.

I’m a little concerned about ntn binding breakage when working. It’s pretty bad to be left high and dry at work with equipment failure. With 75mm bindings, my breakage (while working) has always been the heel piece. I solved that with the alu heel piece, but I often have a backup pair of skis (with their own binding) in the car. What are the typical breakage concerns/experiences with the freeride, freedom, and outlaw x, and can they be field-fixed with a spare part or two.

Telemark skiing is dead.

never had any breakage problems working with freeride or outlaw x

edited: freeride not freedom
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 01-25-2022 at 10:56 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

... I’m a little concerned about ntn binding breakage when working. It’s pretty bad to be left high and dry at work with equipment failure. ... What are the typical breakage concerns/experiences with the freeride, freedom, and outlaw x, and can they be field-fixed with a spare part or two.
    Freedom has a plastic piece that latches down to keep it in ski mode, and it would occasionally pop open and put me into surprise tour mode while skiing. This was not an isolated issue - many times for me in two pair of Freedoms, and I've seen other reports of the same issue.

No hesitation recommending Freerides for working - it's my go-to for patrolling. I've seen photos and heard rumors of cracked toepieces or aluminum frames but that seemed to be early on.

Also no hesitation recommending Outlaws. This is not a breakage concern, more usage, but Outlaws are tricky to get into without poles in my experience. So not ideal for running sleds; when I'm on Outlaws I just plan accordingly and am not shy asking anyone on scene to borrow a pole while stepping in.

Thanks all

I’ve had the tour mode flip once on the freedom. It seems easy enough to get securely in and I feel that it was my user error. I’ve also had user errors with the tour mode on bd01’s, and those seem to always occur in spicy remote situations, but never with dramatic ends.

I’ll likely remain non-binary in my ntn binding selections between rottes and outlaw x’s. Finding/buying whatever I can find for good value.

Twenty two designs bought the design from Russell Rainey. I think they may have lightened the design by changing the stainless toe piece. The pivots were a known issue with the Rainey’s but in order to beef up the pivots I think Twenty two had to change the plastic base and squeeeze where an Allen head would go that would be used with the bomber plate. Maybe.

Thanks all

I’ve had the tour mode flip once on the freedom. It seems easy enough to get securely in and I feel that it was my user error. I’ve also had user errors with the tour mode on bd01’s, and those seem to always occur in spicy remote situations, but never with dramatic ends.

I’ll likely remain non-binary in my ntn binding selections between rottes and outlaw x’s. Finding/buying whatever I can find for good value.
    You are correct, that Freedom tour mode issue is user error and tends to happen with newer users not noticing a small amount of snow under the tab that prevents it from snapping down all the way to the ski…which then means it’ll pop back up when you go into a deep tele position.

Generally using an upside down ski pole to close it firmly is enough, but on sticky pow days I’d sometimes remove the ski and smack the pole handle (or my knuckles) hard against the base of the ski in the area of the tab to dislodge snow. Or smear silicone grease in that area once a month.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I like the lube idea. Thanks.

Perhaps peeing on my bindings could help melt any building up under that part, too. Nothing like pissing on your skis when you first click in, especially at a busy trail head or at the base of the lifts. :P

I had what I thought was a spanking deal on Freerides. Ended up like $383 or something with a coupon. Order was in. Three weeks later they emailed to say it ain't happening, sorry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 4.31.59 PM.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	541.1 KB 
ID:	402976

Quote Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
    Freedom has a plastic piece that latches down to keep it in ski mode, and it would occasionally pop open and put me into surprise tour mode while skiing. This was not an isolated issue - many times for me in two pair of Freedoms, and I've seen other reports of the same issue.

No hesitation recommending Freerides for working - it's my go-to for patrolling. I've seen photos and heard rumors of cracked toepieces or aluminum frames but that seemed to be early on.

Also no hesitation recommending Outlaws. This is not a breakage concern, more usage, but Outlaws are tricky to get into without poles in my experience. So not ideal for running sleds; when I'm on Outlaws I just plan accordingly and am not shy asking anyone on scene to borrow a pole while stepping in.
    Following up on this for bodywhomper since I had similar questions: from a work/patrolling standpoint, the Freedoms are pretty much considered unreliable. Everyone I know that owns them has broken at least one pair. They ski nicely, but the rate of failure is too high for me to consider working in them. Not as easy to get in and out of as the Freerides. If the issue is user error with snow build up, that's really good to know and may not be an issue for a recreational skier, but you'll look just like the guy that insists on working in tech bindings while you fiddle around and ask for a pole on scene or on a route...that is, like an idiot.

I broke a couple pairs of early Freerides; I sheared off one toe piece thing and cracked a bunch of aluminum cages so the rumors about the old ones blowing up are true. The current Freerides, however, are supposedly pretty bomber, and I like the way they've all skied. Very easy to get in and out of without poles.

I moved on to the Outlaw X and initially hated working in them as they were really annoying to get into. I made a couple of clearance modifications to the orange claw with a file (there's a video out there about this), and have been totally happy since. Now they're possibly even easier to get into than the Freeride or an alpine binding. There's a bit of a learning curve to figure out the right "kick" to get into them with brakes, but stepping in on weird side hills or pow is a breeze once it all clicks for you. Haven't had any reliability issues yet. The Outlaw X also makes really nice alpine turns, not that anyone ever does that at work...

You'll be happy with the current Freeride or Outlaw X.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    I had what I thought was a spanking deal on Freerides. Ended up like $383 or something with a coupon. Order was in. Three weeks later they emailed to say it ain't happening, sorry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-26 at 4.31.59 PM.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	541.1 KB 
ID:	402976
    Try telemarkdown- close in price if in stock
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Thanks for the additional information and sharing of experience.

i've watched patrollers unsuccessfully trying to step into their outlaw x's while awkwardly holding a sled or huge shoulder load of bamboo. As they get frustrated and start stomping harder and harder to get their duckbutt claw to engage, i start looking for places to duck and cover in case of an exploding claw .

to be clear, my work is not OEC-level patrolling, but OFC-level. Some days i just ski all day long, almost nonstop. other days, i'm first responder, calling OEC patrol if there's a real injury, and helping with what patrol needs at that point. other days, i'm helping a bunch of toasted beginners down their last runs for the day. lunch breaks, i'm skiing hard on my work ski (lately, that's been icy steep bump runs). the side hustle is a pretty sweet deal for me and the family.

i'm not constantly in and out of my skis over and over again on most days. I have been very happy with the (used) Freedom's on my groomer-zoomer work skis. getting into the skis has not been too problematic so far, and it's WAY less awkward than a standard 75mm cable binding.

As my binding transition progresses, maybe i'll probably relocate the freedoms to a ski that i typically use for touring.

Do the holes for the freedom and freeride line-up and maintain boot center. How about the outlaw x? What about the BD01/02 and G3 targa hole pattern? isn't there a cheatsheet about this?

I am glad i chose the tx comp's. with no new details about the release of the scarpa unicorn boot, i'm glad i took the plunge and that i didn't choose the tx-pro. i use longer skis than recommended for my height/weight and the boot stiffness continues to enforce my overcompensation of long skis. they weigh a little less than my garmont ener-g's, so a bit of a plus when i eventually tour with them . i also have some older race room long boards that i used to only be able to flex when going really fast. i'd like to get them mounted and out with the beefier boot to see how they do.

Wish TX-Comps were more burly. I just transitioned from 5-season old TX Race 75mm and my new Comps feel softer than an old beat up boot. Anyone else experience this?

Also I’m not a patroller but so far I am really pleased with the alpine binding-like step in and step out with my Bishop BMFs. I was a long-time 22D fan (75mm) but was scared away from the Outlaw X’s with all the stories of step in issues. I’m old and need easy these days.

this is America god damn it

my buddies died face down in the muck in Nam so people could be free to make up any acronym they want
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by mr walker View Post
    I broke a couple pairs of early Freerides; I sheared off one toe piece thing and cracked a bunch of aluminum cages so the rumors about the old ones blowing up are true. The current Freerides, however, are supposedly pretty bomber, and I like the way they've all skied. Very easy to get in and out of without poles.
    Same here, not a patroller but I broke a couple of the orange Freerides (both developed frame cracks). Never had an issue with the black ones. I also liked how the Freeride skied better than Freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Scored those from teledad, they seem like a great replacement for my t2s. So far so good.
    Glad you're enjoying them, picked them up when I was thinking of going down the TTS rabbit hole but ended up getting lured away to the dark side by 1kg boots and 140g bindings.