Page 17 of 82 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    good to see Poacher still has a pulse.
    He's still grinding away. Shit, Jerry is on Social Security, Kathy paid off her house, and it still snows.

Quote Originally Posted by mtstpipier View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on the Woodsman, and sweet boards! I have the Wren 108 with Outlaws but found them too directional. May put alpine bindings on them and let my son have them as he is a charger. I was debating getting Woodsman 102 as a DD (Big Sky) but hadn't heard tele specific feedback so I ordered the DW 104. Still have Steeples and BGs in the ON3P stable though.
    Which bindings do you have on the Goats? Wouldn’t mind taking them for a spin sometime. I’ve got the 4frnt renegade in that quiver spot at the moment but always been curious about the Billy goat hype.

I think the woodsman is a great rocky mtn DD and I may ride these all season. The shorter length has me concerned but they really do grip really nice on hard pack while remaining tolerant of bumps and crud.

I typically go for shorter skis these days as I spend a good amount of time shuffling around - side stepping, traversing, skinning and booting - and shorter is better as far as all that goes. Welp, we will see how it goes with the next storm!

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Strange ..... I'm sensing a shift in the Force.
    The free-heelers are on the move.
    It's just the annual migration.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Skied the BD touring model, was that the O1 or 02?, for a few years.
    Ack! I may have gotten the model wrong: I meant the first generation BD tele bindings, which I believe were the O1s; the ones without the slot.

They had compression springs with too little travel and no slot in the toepiece, so the toe pieces failed at the mounting screws. I had a record of scattering parts of these things across ski runs.

But I, too, broke a few Superloop toe pieces...

cheers,
    john

I feel so .... inadequate. Never busted a free heel binding while actually skiing. Never tried a pitbull or a skyhoy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    I feel so .... inadequate. Never busted a free heel binding while actually skiing. Never tried a pitbull or a skyhoy, though.
    that's how I know how much Targas sucked, it's the only one I ever busted. Never skied a pitbull or skyhoy either, but no breakage on superloops, BD O1s (I looked at pics, that is the touring binding that I had), or Rotte Freerides (early orange frame edition). All of which have been known to break.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by jrredho View Post
    Ack! I may have gotten the model wrong: I meant the first generation BD tele bindings, which I believe were the O1s; the ones without the slot.

They had compression springs with too little travel and no slot in the toepiece, so the toe pieces failed at the mounting screws. I had a record of scattering parts of these things across ski runs.

But I, too, broke a few Superloop toe pieces...

cheers,
    john
    looked it up, this is the O1, which is the one I had. No idea what you mean by "slot".

Name:  Binding-Review-1-1.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  32.6 KB
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

looked it up, this is the O1, which is the one I had. No idea what you mean by "slot".

The toe piece has slots on the back for the cables. It allows the cables to have a curved fulcrum when the sole is flexed instead of a sharp bend.

Never had problems with O1s or O2s, but I don’t get super low and spread out like a lot of people.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

01s came last and added the touring mode. The 03s were like the Targas and the 02s had the underfoot cable (like the 01s without the tour mode). But, if you're talking about exploding Black Diamond telemark bindings, well there's a list of them before those three.

Mlle, that's quite a collection of NTN bindings. I never took to the Freeride or Freedoms. Outlaws are amazing but Lynx is where my pulse landed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair 6 View Post
    Dang, hope you get some snow. I worked there one summer. Used to make weekly trips to Arrington to stock up on Thai Siam take out.
    I was a golf cart attendant at Wintergreen's upper course many, many moons ago. I still miss the Blue Ridge Pig's smoked turkey sandwich.

Telemark skiing is dead.

I skied almost all the late 20th century bindings, including one of the linken prototypes.

I broke a toe bar on some targas during a starfish episode. I contend this binding failure saved my tib/fib. I’ve broken 3 heel pieces on O2’s. The aftermarket alu heel pieces are pretty nice. As I transition into ntn, I’m hoping my lack of binding breakage remains low.

I’ve broken some boots: asolo duckbill and lots of gara bellows.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 12-13-2021 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    01s came last and added the touring mode. The 03s were like the Targas and the 02s had the underfoot cable (like the 01s without the tour mode). But, if you're talking about exploding Black Diamond telemark bindings, well there's a list of them before those three.
    If I was going to inexplicably come out of a binding it was my O3s. Too bad they didn't break when I first started using them. Seemed that my boot would ratchet out of the toe box leading to many crashes.

Used to wear out the cables and pivot points on 'Loops while the 412s that came before those bindings are still going strong on one of my daughter's skis. Targas? Had a grand fall when one of the springs that had frozen up caused a rusted cable to snap. G3 was great to send me some free cables and I've since been careful to make sure the springs are lubed and free. All in all a bunch of very fun years in this kook sport.

For those that miss Dickie Hall’s annual NATO telefest at MRG, keep March 11-2, 2022 open.

Name:  Image1639490193.505801.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  74.3 KB

Telemark skiing is not dead, it's just resting.

But it sure does smell funny

I never broke a telemark binding but i did break a TIB/FIB with a Targa, I promptly sold them to a buddy who broke both of them so thats like binding breakage by proxy

I still have 7TM's which never broke and always released instead of my bones
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Okay, I looked it up too. Man, I've really screwed up this line of discussion: Of course I was talking about the version one Pitbull; the one without the slot. I'm confident that someone could come up with a worse tele binding design, I just don't see how.

I'll try to do better with my nostalgia in the future!

cheers,
    john

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I never broke a telemark binding but i did break a TIB/FIB with a Targa, I promptly sold them to a buddy who broke both of them so thats like binding breakage by proxy

I still have 7TM's which never broke and always released instead of my bones
    I skied tours for several years and also never had one of them break. I only wish I could say that they always released instead of breaking bones.

cheers,
    john

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1639542560.258438.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	396748

just mounted these for a buddy
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by jrredho View Post
    Okay, I looked it up too. Man, I've really screwed up this line of discussion: Of course I was talking about the version one Pitbull; the one without the slot. I'm confident that someone could come up with a worse tele binding design, I just don't see how.

I'll try to do better with my nostalgia in the future!

cheers,
    john
    Good thing I got the Pitbulls with the slots! The BD Resolutions with Pitbulls was one of my main setups in the late 90s. I never had a problem with them, and I still use them in early/late season at the area.

John, you may recall these skis, as you posted a picture of me rinsing one of them in the outflow below St. Mary's many years ago. Your caption in the Ttips trip report was something like "Tele ski found below glacier" :-)

Name:	IMG_3464bsm2.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	364.0 KB 
ID:	396936
    Last edited by andy m; 12-16-2021 at 09:47 AM.

I hated the pit bulls, every time you touched them, the damn heal bail loosened. Skied them for a few years on Fischer’s, Merrell Super comps and Voile snake skins. I was very happy when I had the money to buy some used Targas and a pair B1’s.

The heel bail loosened so you didn’t pull the whole fucking binding off the ski. Shit design.

Quote Originally Posted by andy m View Post
    Good thing I got the Pitbulls with the slots! The BD Resolutions with Pitbulls was one of my main setups in the late 90s. I never had a problem with them, and I still use them in early/late season at the area.

John, you may recall these skis, as you posted a picture of me rinsing one of them in the outflow below St. Mary's many years ago. Your caption in the Ttips trip report was something like "Tele ski found below glacier" :-)

Name:	IMG_3464bsm2.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	364.0 KB 
ID:	396936
    Ha! One of the very best things about these "tele death" threads is that there's the possibility of smoking you out, Andy.

Yeah, the second generation of the Pitbull featured not only a slot in the toepiece, but a longer compression spring. That variant was probably a result of me taking broken bindings to the BD Warranty window whenever I visited SLC. I hated the binding, but they kept giving me free replacements, and I was tired of cutting cables and cable holders on Riva IIs, and breaking Superloops. And I'm hard headed.

cheers,
    john

Hey Dan, where'd you get that photo? Those look like my old G3 Tickets that I had O1s on. (And never broke.) Those skis were pretty fun with the asymmetrical sidecut.

I never broke a tele binding, but Hammerheads on V-Exs--that I'm pretty sure I got from pb--broke me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Hey Dan, where'd you get that photo? Those look like my old G3 Tickets that I had O1s on. (And never broke.) Those skis were pretty fun with the asymmetrical sidecut.

I never broke a tele binding, but Hammerheads on V-Exs--that I'm pretty sure I got from pb--broke me.
    I think I just google image searched "BD O1"? Yep, I did. Came from here: https://wenatcheeoutdoors.org/2017/1...ck-diamond-01/

I think I just google image searched "BD O1"? Yep, I did. Came from here: https://wenatcheeoutdoors.org/2017/1...ck-diamond-01/
    Interesting. Thanks. I guess not, but they look really similar. And that looks like my deck. "This post was originally published on 1/7/08." Which is the right time period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.