Page 21 of 82 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    It occurred to me overnight that my bomber plates might be a solution. I hope I still have them. They would be mounted on my next most modern setup so I think I would have kept them.
    I have bomber plates if you want them. $hipping.
    Uno mas

I’ve tried hard for 3 years to like Lynx, but “Light and robust” hasn’t been my experience. Tech toes that can only be skied in locked position (because they release, replaced them), springs that take a set (you have to add spacers after they take a set), cracked plates, claw grab when touring, and then pre release issues when claw releases in the middle of a turn and my tech toes aren’t locked (and they shouldn’t be when skiing) and they release. And parts aren’t backward forward from V1 to present. IDK, I have Meidjo V2.0, V2.1 and now the latest V3.0 and haven’t ever had any of the issues above. @dschane you are one of the busiest posters on EYT Lynx threads and the threads are littered with pictures of cracked plates, people posting about making their own spacers etc., I don’t know how you have come up up “robust” in your description now. I sure would like them to be, I like 22 Designs (was a HH beta tester back in the day) and have been considering trying the latest version on a pair of skis with no bindings at the moment but frankly after experiencing so many problems and reading about the same on EYT I think I’ll stick with Meidjo for the time being as dealing with the icing issues and snow build up has been less of a problem for me.

Telemark skiing is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by wickstad View Post
    Attachment 401062Ripped out a ten year old hammerhead mount today. I have dreaded this day. I ski alone all the time but today ullr blessed me with a mag. Jaxon was there to carry my carnage to the bottom since this happened a couple turns from the top. Thanks again my new friend.
    I have HH plates if you want to remount the plates and then get your HHs back into a preferable position. They came w a pair of AXLs I bought here on the cheap but I don’t need the plates. Just sitting in my work bench currently.
    Uno mas

Hey all, been lurking this thread for a bit and I'm wondering what the best way to try tele is. I don't know anyone locally who does it, but it seems like there are some cheap setups on CL and the like. What should I look for if I'm trying to put together a beginner setup? Any brand or boot recommendations or general guidance?

Telemark skiing is dead.

NTN has been around for 15 years and it has yet to fully push 75mm into the grave. All is good. There isn’t thee perfect set up for all of telekind.

^Vonn, lots of options so hard to guide in the little time I have at the moment. My general advice is not to get the cheapest shittiest gear you can find. To my point above 75mm will do you just fine and likely cheaper but start w the boots. You may find a better deal on NTN in your size and that is all good too. Get a decent 3+ buckle boot. I am no purist so I like a stiff 4 buckle boot you can also crank alpine turns in. Gearswap here is your friend. Post up a WTB thread and ask for advice as options arise. I think Laps has some T2s in a 27.0. Go about 5cm shorter than your alpine preference for ski length and shorten your poles while you’re at it. A binding that allows you to adjust boot tension highly recommended
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by vonn View Post
    Hey all, been lurking this thread for a bit and I'm wondering what the best way to try tele is. I don't know anyone locally who does it, but it seems like there are some cheap setups on CL and the like. What should I look for if I'm trying to put together a beginner setup? Any brand or boot recommendations or general guidance?
    As someone who went through this a few years ago, I'd say any reasonably modern ski with a 75mm binding that has actual springs involved is probably fine. You should be able to piece together skis, boots and bindings on CL for under $300 if you look around a bit. Seems like there are a good number of setups roughly like this in the Seattle/Portland area, for example: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...431430698.html

Or if you want to go straight to NTN, I'll give you a hot deal on some boots: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/s...430335569.html
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

@Vonn - I would look for Voile Switchback bindings, old or new fairly inexpensive, durable & easy to use. For new boots Scarpa T2 Eco or for used same, or old Garmont Enrgy if in good shape. Tons of skis out there that would work.

Telemark skiing is dead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8936.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	377.5 KB 
ID:	401146

Great, really appreciate all the advice so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I think Laps has some T2s in a 27.0.
    Thanks for the tip, those are just about my size. I'm not going to be picky on fit this early, but do you look for the same characteristics of an alpine fit when you're trying tele, or do you want some extra room? Foot is about 26cm and I ski a 26.5 (so Scarpa 27) or 25.5 depending on the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Or if you want to go straight to NTN, I'll give you a hot deal on some boots: https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/s...430335569.html
    Ha I actually just looked at those too, appreciate the offer! How do they run length wise? 25.5 is typically a pretty tight fit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfer 7 View Post
    I’ve tried hard for 3 years to like Lynx, but “Light and robust” hasn’t been my experience. Tech toes that can only be skied in locked position (because they release, replaced them), springs that take a set (you have to add spacers after they take a set), cracked plates, claw grab when touring, and then pre release issues when claw releases in the middle of a turn and my tech toes aren’t locked (and they shouldn’t be when skiing) and they release. And parts aren’t backward forward from V1 to present. IDK, I have Meidjo V2.0, V2.1 and now the latest V3.0 and haven’t ever had any of the issues above. @dschane you are one of the busiest posters on EYT Lynx threads and the threads are littered with pictures of cracked plates, people posting about making their own spacers etc., I don’t know how you have come up up “robust” in your description now. I sure would like them to be, I like 22 Designs (was a HH beta tester back in the day) and have been considering trying the latest version on a pair of skis with no bindings at the moment but frankly after experiencing so many problems and reading about the same on EYT I think I’ll stick with Meidjo for the time being as dealing with the icing issues and snow build up has been less of a problem for me.
    Yes, I love the bindings. And robust, as in powerful making turns. I would never characterize any binding as robust as in unbreakable. I have had, and wasn't hiding, issues with claw grab and splintering plates, though the latter hasn't affected performance. The first generation also had some shitty toes spackled in the batches. The latest version seems to have improved them all -- too early to say it's perfect, though nothing is ever perfect.

I have skied Meidjos -- great binding but also not without issues. But, I haven't been on them enough to say long term it's better or worse. My touring partners have sheered Marker Kingpins, lost a pin from a Vipec toe, sheered a Dynafit heel, lost half the heel on Salomon Shifts. Shit happens. If you're happy with Meidjos, I would stick them, of course.

Cheap boots that feel good are the start.
    After that find cheap bindings.
    Probably 75mm duckbills. It’s ok.
    You have to bend over to get in but that’s part of the initiation ritual.

Any ski that’s slightly softer and shorter than your alpine is good.

PS. There’s one tele brand that changes shell sizes on the half, not the whole number. I forget. But it might be scarpa.
    . . .

Great, really appreciate all the advice so far!

Thanks for the tip, those are just about my size. I'm not going to be picky on fit this early, but do you look for the same characteristics of an alpine fit when you're trying tele, or do you want some extra room? Foot is about 26cm and I ski a 26.5 (so Scarpa 27) or 25.5 depending on the boot.

Ha I actually just looked at those too, appreciate the offer! How do they run length wise? 25.5 is typically a pretty tight fit for me.
    I think you may have that backwards, vonn.

I'm a US mens 11, mondo/cm 29, but a Scarpa 28. If your foot measures 26cm, you are probably looking for a Scarpa 25 as they converted from UK sizing to mondo and somehow messed it up.

Telemark skiing is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Cheap boots that feel good are the start.
    After that find cheap bindings.
    Probably 75mm duckbills. It’s ok.
    You have to bend over to get in but that’s part of the initiation ritual.

Any ski that’s slightly softer and shorter than your alpine is good.

PS. There’s one tele brand that changes shell sizes on the half, not the whole number. I forget. But it might be scarpa.
    Scarpa - I used a 26.5/27.0 Scarpa shell (size 27.0 liner vs 26.5 alpine boots). You don’t necessarily want you tele boots to be roomy. Buy to size but if in between size up vs down as you typically would w an alpine performance fit. Not sure how to reply to Peruvians experience as I have a size 9.0/9.5 shoe size (Euro 42 ~26.5cm) and a 25.5/26.0 Scarpa shell would not work for me (although a 26.5 liner probably fine vs the 27.0 I use).
    Uno mas

@deschane I too like the way Lynx skis although I prefer the softer flex of V1. Plus it’s nice to have binding options, everyone has to up their game to stay competitive and hopefully the result is better bindings.

They are pretty similar internally to 25.5 Dalbello Kryptons, with a slightly wider forefoot (98mm vs 100mm last). I couldn't get the heel hold to work out for me, so every once and a while I would land a drop backseat and get pretty bad toe bang. I've since moved to 26.0 Tx Pros and kind of miss the narrower ankle fit of the Garmonts. You're welcome to try on both the TX Pros and Garmonts if you need some boot fit data. I generally fit 25.5 Dalbello, 25.5 Garmont, 26.0 Scarpa, 26.5 Salomon MTN Labs, 27.5 Dynafit TLT6s, and my feet are 265mm long and on the narrow side. If I were buying new boots and paying for boot work I would probably be in a 25.5/26 Scarpa.

The hard part with our size feet is figuring out which side of the 26.0/26.5 divide you fall on, and therefore whether you need small or large bindings. That coupled with the relative dearth of used NTN bindings can make your initial gear investment a bit more expensive.
    kittyhump.com - Fund Max, Cat Appreciation, Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    I have HH plates if you want to remount the plates and then get your HHs back into a preferable position. They came w a pair of AXLs I bought here on the cheap but I don’t need the plates. Just sitting in my work bench currently.
    I really appreciate that. I really liked where they were mounted. I do have the bomber plates that should also work to get them back in the correct spot. I’m going to ski on an older setup for the weekend or at least tomorrow. Thanks again!

Most straight forward method to boot fitting is to get your foot in some shells, figure out your shell fit for the various brands, and find the right size of a lightly used boot.

I’m a scarpa 27.5/28 ntn shell and 27/27.5 garmont/Scott 75mm shell.

I don’t advise a “race fit” length tele shell like you would do a race fit alpine boot. You’ll bash your toes when flexing the bellows.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Just saw your last post. How many people have you taught to Tele ski? I’ve taught people on modern beefy gear—a good alpine skier can learn the technique in a day—and then encouraged them to try that turn on the floppy meadow skipping gear. Have you found your reverse approach works better?
    Most are missing the core of this whole subject here. We have leather boots and my niece has a slight interest in trying a tele turn. She rips on Alpine. We're not saying don't rent plastic, but hey try these too...free...wtf, why not? Tele skiers and just skiers in general online are pretty much cunts and many actually suck at making a turn. That's the most comical part.

I can probably teach you how to tele like a champ, on any skis, but I can give you one very big pointer: You must have well fitting comfortable boots. Get those, spend on those, and the rest is easy.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Telemark lesson one

Embrace the love

From michael Jackson

He cares

And so should you.
    . . .

Michael is dead.

And, 8 year old's dood.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Inserts.
    And if inserts don’t work, there’s always T-nuts. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7578.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	401194

I have a bag of 16 t-nuts somewhere in my gear bin if anyone needs. I’ve used t-nuts in the past on super floppy Pow skis that I ripped bindings out of a few times…

I have some garmont synergy 26.5 on consignment in North Conway, NH. Almost brand new but 10 years old.
    I have been using 3 pins and leathers for skiing around the back yard. I need new wax less skis my Fischer s bounds 112 just delaminated. I need a wide fish scale ski that is 75 underfoot so the bindings don’t overhang. Voile is the only ones I can find but can’t justify the $600 price to wife. What else is there

Quote Originally Posted by teletech View Post
    I have some garmont synergy 26.5 on consignment in North Conway, NH. Almost brand new but 10 years old.
    I have been using 3 pins and leathers for skiing around the back yard. I need new wax less skis my Fischer s bounds 112 just delaminated. I need a wide fish scale ski that is 75 underfoot so the bindings don’t overhang. Voile is the only ones I can find but can’t justify the $600 price to wife. What else is there
    Madshus Annum

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums