Page 38 of 84 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laps View Post
    Had my new-this-year lynxes (30-ish days on them) pop off today after randomly swithing into tour mode. This is a new development in the past 2 weeks, but it is rather concerning. Anyone else had this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did the toe or the heel pop off?

The heel, then the toe. I watched my ski slide down a miraculously empty trail and into the woods. Looks like I need to throw the “power spacer” on the cable springs to help claw stay engaged.

Perfer et obdura, hic dolor olim utior tibi. -Ovid

The heel, then the toe. I watched my ski slide down a miraculously empty trail and into the woods. Looks like I need to throw the “power spacer” on the cable springs to help claw stay engaged.

And get some leashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    And get some leashes.
    Funny. Laps and I had that discussion Saturday.
    NTN boots lack the leash point.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

First thing I did when I got home was throw some on. I remember telling J “I don’t need leashes, These won’t come off”.

After 43 seasons of skiing (I’m 46) and 27 yrs on tele, I have my first season ending injury today. No pain but minimal stability. Didn’t hear a pop but sure felt it. Made it out under my own power turning with weight on my good leg. Luckily, I carpooled today. My friend was able to get the boot off without issue. Hopefully get to see a doctor (sports med physiatrist or my GP, who is a DO) tomorrow. What’s the appropriate gimp thread?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7886.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	411888

Sorry to hear, mang.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I assume you have the 21-22 version with the modified cam stop and main plates. If the springs on your toes are shiny silver (instead of carbon black), you have the most recent version. I mention that because the 20-21 version was still available last fall from a bunch of retailers.

This year, with the newest version, there has been a problem with a forward migrating cam stop on the new main plates. It happened to me and the result is that the claw could no longer stay on the duckbutt. 22D tapered the plates this year and removed the lower tabs that held the cam stop in place (this was done to minimize the plates from splintering). But, without those tabs, the cam stop could move forward (I guess the taper job was too gentle).

I temporarily fixed it by putting a bead of epoxy on the main plate, right above the cam stop. 22D is fixing the issue (should be an easy one) and I think the latest version of the main plates that they're testing have smaller tabs above the cam stop.

In your case, if the cam moved a lot, you'd see a gap between the cam and cam stop and the claw would be useless. If it moved only a little - enough to make the claw not very effective but still usable, it may not be obvious on inspection. But, if you remove the pivot strap and then remove the main plates, see if you can slide the cam stop off the plate. If it seems frozen in place, it has migrated forward. Lightly tapping the stop with a hammer will let you take them off. I'd contact 22D if that's the case and/or add a bead of epoxy or something like that to the main plate to prevent the cam stop from moving forward. I tried anti-ice tape to make the plate thicker, but it didn't hold.

I can send pics if my description sucks.

Generally, the new springs and modified cam stop makes the claw a lot more robust (when the cam stop stays in place, of course). I don't use power spacers.

Damn bodywhomper, sorry. That's an impressive injury-free run though.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    After 43 seasons of skiing (I’m 46) and 27 yrs on tele, I have my first season ending injury today. No pain but minimal stability. Didn’t hear a pop but sure felt it. Made it out under my own power turning with weight on my good leg. Luckily, I carpooled today. My friend was able to get the boot off without issue. Hopefully get to see a doctor (sports med physiatrist or my GP, who is a DO) tomorrow. What’s the appropriate gimp thread?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7886.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	411888
    Damn! Certainly listen to your docs, but if it is ACL, in my case I set up a bike on a turbo trainer and wearing brace, almost immediately started spinning daily before surgery. The recovery went quicker than was expected. I was 'hiking' and 'biking' in a month. It still took 6 months to be fully stable, but my knee has been solid since. Better than before the injury and surgery.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Thx all. I almost moved our stationary bike into the garage on Saturday because it’s been gathering dust for long time….

Alpinoid, I got all the goodies for my insert installation project (thx!).

Heal up quick, bodywhomper. Sounds like you are living up to your handle.

Dschane, that was exactly what I was hoping to hear. If you can take a pic of where you put the epoxy that would be awesome. TIA.

It took 9 months to get the free ACL up here, I was biking no problem with a completely facked ACL but I did swap from spd's to flats on the mtb
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    It took 9 months to get the free ACL up here, I was biking no problem with a completely facked ACL but I did swap from spd's to flats on the mtb
    My ortho green lighted SPDs, set loose and as long as I stayed on consistent terrain and could step off reliably. (I still bike with them loose.)
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Thx all. I almost moved our stationary bike into the garage on Saturday because it’s been gathering dust for long time….

Alpinord, I got all the goodies for my insert installation project (thx!).
    Good. At least you have a project on which to focus. Hang in there!
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Dschane, that was exactly what I was hoping to hear. If you can take a pic of where you put the epoxy that would be awesome. TIA.
    The evolution of the main plates (starts with sharp tabs, then they tried sloped tabs to mitigate splintering along the plate, and this year they removed the tabs and tapered the plate):
    Name:  Lynx plate evolution.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  17.0 KB

As noted above, the problem I encountered with the tapered tabs is that the cam stop migrated forward while I was skiing. Picture of two plates and where my cam stop came to rest about 2 cms forward of its starting position (and it was stuck there; I gently tapped the sides to remove it):
    Name:  Migrated cam stop.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  22.2 KB

When the plate was in the binding, there was a significant gap between the cam stop and the cam, so the claw was totally useless. With slight migration, the claw would work but not be as robust.
    Name:  Migrated cam stop installed.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  19.6 KB

My dirtbag fix was to put a bead of epoxy (I used West's G Flex, the same stuff I use for inserts -- 24 hour cure). In the picture, the cam stop is pulled down. When it installed, it abuts the epoxy bead. One other note - I put a bead on the top of one plate (smooth surface) and a bead on the bottom of my other (rough surface) to compare. It didn't matter much, though the bead on the top is less chipped and appears to be lasting longer.
    Name:  Epoxy bead.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  12.6 KB

And again, I think 22D's investigating a few options -- putting very tiny tabs just above the cam stop and using a longer flex plate that comes all the way down to the cam stop (though this may change how the binding skis a bit).

Awesome. Going to have to find some good epoxy. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    What size boot?

26.5 maybe 27depends if I add foot pads.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcreek View Post
    ‘Telemark skiing; twice the weight half the efficiency.’

What my buddy tells me as we begin each tour, him being on dynafit and skis/boots that are featherweight, me being on axls t1 and old school billygoats. His legs are twigs mine are old growth tree trunks.

@peter k…. Resounding yes on sub 300 setup, with 75mm. Freeheel life has good lineup of used boots, used ski/ binding combos. Keep an eye on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace,people are constantly dumping their telemark garbage. None of my setups are over 350$

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thanks man I'll look at that never heard of freeheel life but then again I dont know much about SLC area.

Awesome. Going to have to find some good epoxy. Thanks!!
    You might also reach out to 22D. They are now testing flex plates that run down to the cam stop and they are testing main plates that have little tabs on them to prevent migration. So, they might be able to send you one or the other if you explain that you have the cam stop migration issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    My ortho green lighted SPDs, set loose and as long as I stayed on consistent terrain and could step off reliably. (I still bike with them loose.)
    I never stopped using SPD's on the touring or road bike but It hurt enough that I wasnt interested in finding out how my knee would like SPD's on inconsistent terrain, but it makes sense if I have an unscheduled dismount the knee might not like it

then I got an e-bike and flats still seem like a better choice for the terrain where i ride it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by BeHuWe View Post
    Just some tele quiver stoke! I may have strayed from the free heel for quite a few years but I’m definitely back, and slowly pulling the alpine clamps for outlaws.

Yesterday there were 8 other tele skiers out at the wood dropping knees with me, so I think the free heel is far from dead….

Attachment 411764
    Ya makin me jealous, that's quite the lineup.

I know 22D doesn’t really refer to each refinement of the Lynx as a new version, but with so many changes over the last 4 yrs it still feels like it’s in beta test mode. I’ll still buy a pair when a decent boot with tech fittings comes along, but I was hoping by now the binding would be dialed.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I know 22D doesn’t really refer to each refinement of the Lynx as a new version, but with so many changes over the last 4 yrs it still feels like it’s in beta test mode. I’ll still buy a pair when a decent boot with tech fittings comes along, but I was hoping by now the binding would be dialed.
    Same. Still, I'm optimistic that either the current lynx or meidjo would work just fine for me as a bc and lift served touring setup...but the same old boot issue is holding me back from purchasing either.
    Doesn't really matter to me either way though as I'm really enjoying the Blazes I posted up thread as a inbounds spring ski. Once I get some skins for them I can see them being a go to for mellow side country tours all season long.

I've accepted that tele bindings and boots are gonna have weaknesses and ultimately changed my approach towards freeheeling

Quote Originally Posted by Chair 6 View Post
    Still, I'm optimistic that either the current lynx or meidjo would work just fine for me as a bc and lift served touring setup
    I don't think either 22 Designs or The M Equipment recommend either binding for regular lift-served duty, to be fair. Both of those bindings sure are light, though! I've got a couple of pairs of the Meidjos and they ski fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair 6 View Post
    ...but the same old boot issue is holding me back from purchasing either.
    It's a shame because Scarpa got off to a decent start with the orange original Terminator X. That boot skis great, imo. Not only did they quit on the development of that touring-specific tele boot, they discontinued it altogether. Judging from how big the market for AT gear is, I guess I can see why.

Side note: I'm finding the presence of this tele-specific thread on Page 1 a little heart warming.

cheers,
    john

that’s bullshit

fuckers
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.