Page 61 of 84 FirstFirst ... 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 2097

Telemark skiing is dead.

Anybody thrown a toe with outlaws while cruising medium/high speed making tele turns?

Happened to me today. Spirited cruising a corny bumpy-ish run. No crashing (or even a bobble) involved. Several thousand vertical feet already skied since clicking in at the time. Double yellow springs tighten to “5”. The bindings look fine. I’m getting that gap near the claw that’s suppose to indicate adequate forward pressure. Stiffer skis: mantra m102. Leash broke, too. Luckily, ski flipped over and didn’t rocket down the run.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 04-15-2023 at 07:25 PM.

What boots?

Tx comps.

I did the hammer routine to increase that forward pressure gap. We’ll see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    I forgot about their plastic-cuff Supercomp clone, or was it the other way around? The Arkos actually looks a bit burlier with the full-wrap cuff and all metal bail style buckles. I thought it came after the Supercomp?

Attachment 455579
    I had a pair of those, great boots but got wet in the spring

"Thrown a toe"??
    And what's the hammer routine?

I feel so out of touch .....

haven’t been tele skiing much this year - maybe a dozen days in Dec/Jan - hadn’t been on them in 8-10 weeks until yesterday - I did not feel as confident or as strong on them as I usually do - getting old and lazy I guess
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Mike, maybe just an off day for you.

Part of my season was haunted with my knee loosing stability while skiing as I’m still rebuilding abductor strength. I often skied with hesitation. I was even fearful of falling. Until I started skiing with a tightly fitted heavy duty knee brace. Gaining the confidence that I could ski aggressively without loosing knee stability due to a brace really helped me this season.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    "Thrown a toe"??
    And what's the hammer routine?

I feel so out of touch .....
    Literally, I was skiing lake view at sugarbowl, medium speed (for me), corn with slushy mounds and having a great time, when I suddenly was sliding on the ground and missing a ski. I skied in similar style today w/o problems. I think the hammer technique to increase that forward pressure gap may have done the trick. I’ll try to post the video that 22designs sent me previously.

It’s definitely disconcerting when you feel like you pre-released from a tele binding. I’ve released only 4 or 5 times since the mid-90s w/o breaking the binding or a boot (or both). Every time, my leash has broken. I see a lot of patrollers in outlaws w/o leashes or brakes.

Ahhh; pre-release. If it's any conso, I was skiing Lakeview on Friday under similar conditions and suddenly found myself down and sliding. No release ...... unless it was the infamous ghost release with a partial toe twist out but then returning to normal after the damage/fall has been done, just a loss of edge transitioning from slushy mound to bare ice patch, which brought home that I was way past due for a tune, especially edge sharpening.

“Throw a toe” is what my alpine friends always called a prerelease. Seemed all good today for me.

I don’t like randomly throwing a toe. Two of the times that it’s happened to me, when leashes broke, my ski rocketed down the hill. One ended up in a tree and bent (explosives ) and one in the flats at a big trail merge.

I’ve been running 1:3 (base:edge) and have been super happy in nonpowder snow. Especially on unthawed stuff.

If anyone is interested, I’m selling my FHL protector skis. Figured I’d also spam here because idk where else interest would exist.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Help an old telemarker update his set-up.

I'm on old Ener-g's (absolutely LOVE these boots) and Fischer Big Stix 106 (yes, the old yellow ones). I'm not a gear head and the current telemark ski landscape is confusing me. So Garmount boots are gone. It looked like Scott bought them out and made the 4 buckle like an Ener-g, but now there's only the 3 buckle Voodoo? Scarpa's didn't fit me as well, but that was 20 years ago, so I'd be willing to try them out.

I don't want to go ntn, I like the flex of my duckbills. I also love my skis.

I'm in a ski shop desert. I'm three hours from Tahoe. I will be in SLT over thanksgiving, so if anyone knows a good shop I can get fitted while there, I'd definitely check that out.

Try Sierra Ski & Cycle. Or head north to Alpenglow or The Backcountry.

Anyone have thoughts on Dynafit Free 97 as a Telemark ski? Online description makes me think they should be good. My budget is $300, so doesn't need to be perfect, just fun for riding lifts (groomers, spring, not deep powder) with my young kids.
    https://skimo.co/dynafit-free-97

I found the Scott version too soft, poorly made, and the liners packed out fast.

Give Scarpa another shot.

I have loved the Blizzard Rustler skis. I'm on the 9's in the northeast US. Look at the 11's.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    I found the Scott version too soft, poorly made, and the liners packed out fast.
    One man's too soft is another man's comfy as can be. Got rid of the liners during my first season. Agree that they suck. Installed some Intuition liners and very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Help an old telemarker update his set-up.

I'm on old Ener-g's (absolutely LOVE these boots) and Fischer Big Stix 106 (yes, the old yellow ones). I'm not a gear head and the current telemark ski landscape is confusing me. So Garmount boots are gone. It looked like Scott bought them out and made the 4 buckle like an Ener-g, but now there's only the 3 buckle Voodoo? Scarpa's didn't fit me as well, but that was 20 years ago, so I'd be willing to try them out.

I don't want to go ntn, I like the flex of my duckbills. I also love my skis.

I'm in a ski shop desert. I'm three hours from Tahoe. I will be in SLT over thanksgiving, so if anyone knows a good shop I can get fitted while there, I'd definitely check that out.
    Scott bought the Garmont molds. The Scott Synergy is the same as the Garmont Ener-G (confusing, since Garmont had a 3-buckle, less-burly boot called Synergy). I don't find them any softer than the Ener-G's, but it could be the liners, (which are way crappier than the already crappy Ener-G liners), which I replaced immediately. Put some nice Intuition wrap liners in there, and they will fit even better than EnerG's (I too have a decidedly Garmont foot - no worky w/ Scarpa).

With good liners and buckled snugly, I don't see how anyone could say these are "soft", even remotely.

I was trying to find a Crispi boot dealer in slc -
    nothing but Scarpa so far.

looks like Sierra ski&cycle is in Lake Tahoe.

The Search continues...

skiJ

I have been told that scarpa changed there shell last for their tele boots (75mm and ntn) in the mid-2010’s. Mainly wider/higher volume forefoot. This was new info to me as of last winter, as it pertains to their 75mm clog last - I have not personally confirmed.

I was a garmont fan since ~1995 gara and then ener-g, mostly because the scarpa shells were too narrow. The current scarpa ntn shell last fits me.

And I agree with all the other comments about ditching the stock thermo liners for an aftermarket liner.

The Scarpa NTN last is significantly different than their 75mm last, with a wider toe box. Scarpa's TX came out in 2007 so it's been 15 years since this change.

Also if anyone is looking to get rid of their older size 28.0 TX or TX-Pros with the rear tech heel fitting, send me a PM as I've been looking for a set in very good/great shape for a few months now.

Pretty sure the T2 has the same wider last as their NTN boots?

T1 & TRace were for sure narrow & lower volume at like 99mm IIRC.

I was 10 years on T-Race and jumped to NTN and TX-Comp last year. I have a narrow foot so it took some work to fix the wider last, but I’ve noticed no difference in bellows between the two boots. And with Bishop clamps (which are basically non-duckbutt NTNs) there isn’t much difference in boot flex either.

Telemark skiing is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by chicken feathers View Post
    Pretty sure the T2 has the same wider last as their NTN boots?

T1 & TRace were for sure narrow & lower volume at like 99mm IIRC.
    You are correct. At some point when the T1 and TRace were dropped the T2 Eco moved to the 102 last.

Ha! I guess i should trust some Italian random dude on the internet.

The scarpa world website says that the existing t1 is a 100mm last, and all their other tele boots are 102mm.

I believe Fey Bros (telemarkdown) might be the only real Crispi dealer in US. They do great work if you haven’t dealt with them before.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was a long time Syner-g fan which I “think” was the same last as the Ener-g. I was also very comfortable in the Scarpa T-1 from maybe 6ish years ago. But I don’t seem to have as many fit issues across brands as some because was also happy in the Crisper shiver NTN.

But my favorite boots ever for fit and performance are my current TX comps. The T-1 is a close second though.