Drew Bledsoe Funds Ski Company

Cool to see a former athlete get involved in the sport we love.

http://sports.espn.go.com/action/fre...ory?id=5960360

Former NFL QB helps start boutique ski company
    By Olivia Dwyer

Montana Ski CompanyDrew Bledsoe skiing in Whitefish on the company skis.

Former NFL All-Pro quarterback Drew Bledsoe (Cowboys, Bills, Patriots) has made plenty of headlines, but recently, it's his passion for powder, not pigskin, that has put him in the spotlight.

This season, Bledsoe has provided the venture capital for the Montana Ski Company, a handmade, boutique ski manufacturer in Whitefish, Mont.

"Drew and I love skiing," said Chad Wold, Bledsoe's partner in Bledsoe Capital Group. Wold and Zak Anderson, the president of Montana Ski Company, run the business and grew up alpine racing together for Whitefish Mountain Resort. Bledsoe has been a part-time resident of Whitefish since the early 1990s and went into business with Wold after meeting through a mutual friend.

Bledsoe Capital Group receives hundreds of proposals from companies looking for investors. Wold said the Montana Ski Company stood out because it met the group's primary criteria. "Our number one mission statement is doing good while doing well," he said.

Montana Ski Company produces skis that are manufactured in the United States from sustainable Montana hardwoods using low-toxic resins. This year, the company offers four base models, for terrain ranging from park to backcountry.

"The idea that you're skiing on a tree that was cut within eyeshot of the mountain you're skiing on, and done so in a sustainable manner, had a very large [allure] to us," Wold said.

The company is also staking out a place in the bespoke market, offering semi-custom and fully custom skis. Semi-customs skis include tip, tail and underfoot dimensions that differ from the base model. Those shopping for one-of-a-kind skis will work with engineers with a combined 100 years experience in making skis to create a pair specifically suited to their needs. Custom topsheets are also available.

"We've been able to bring together pretty incredible craftsmen at very reasonable prices," Wold said. Base models start at $795. Over the holidays, for each pair of skis sold, the Montana Ski Company donated a pair to a disabled veteran through Vets-Help.org.

The company has also reallocated its marketing budget. Instead of purchasing glossy ad space, marketing dollars will go toward providing equipment and entry fees to local athletes who compete for exposure and experience.

Bledsoe Capital Group has also provided capital for Ecosphere Energy Services, which developed technology to clean toxic wastewater, and the Loft, a members-only social and business club with five locations. Wold and Bledsoe had considered several ski industry projects, including real estate ventures and apparel companies, before selecting the Montana Ski Company.

That is cool: "doing good while doing well" -I like that

I went to HS with his wife, super nice girl (a beauty too), I think my brother is still hung up on her

Good Luck to Drew and Montana Ski Company

Owns a ski company and a winery. Pretty good life for a guy who was never able to figure out the rule against intentional grounding.

From an old NYT article (about the winemaking). XXLs?

I know the Boston crowd is going to love this one.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Owns a ski company and a winery
    One bubble popped, one about too?

Hmm where have we seen the rising sun before? Still, looks like some great skis.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

The story is that Drew grew up skiing Bluewood

I was up skiing and talking to a guy while at Apex Resort last year, every year the Bledsoe family rents his Inn out for a week of skiing. He said he is as nice a guy as you would ever want to ski with.

From the pic in the article it looks like he pretty well kills it...

Drew is good peeps, a super solid skier, and a total fun hog.

he's from bend. my cousin designed his house.

After a looking over their website I am intrigued, both the Canyon Creek and the Skoo-oleel caught my attention. Good luck to them, and hope their skis move faster than he did in the pocket.

Back in 1995, I remember I checked him in as a guest to the Hyatt Beaver Creek. Remember talking to him about where to find the powder stashes.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

this is old news around these parts. their facebook page is pretty entertaining.
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

I had no idea he was getting after it and skiing hard. Always struck me as a class act when he was playing football.

Wonder if he ever gets together with Jake Plummer to go schralp?

Drew Bledsoe?!! So I guess we'll be getting some skis that come much hyped, but continue to almost get us there year after year..but never do.. and then one day we try the new models of skis and realize how long we'd lowered our standards to meet the hype, and end up rippin the shit out of our new ones like we always wished we could..

Bledsoe getting sick in the snow! anyone from Washington will remember this.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIWW3cQJOJQ"]YouTube - FSN Classics: 1992 Apple Cup - Snow Bowl[/nomedia]

As a Pats fan, I'm checking these skis out. I'm set on gear, but Bledsoe I liked before Brady. He played with passion to hate the Jets, & I can respect that.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.