Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Any photos from today's action?
    Aliases: B-Dub, B-Dubya, & B. White

the NWS has a winter storm warning from 8 pm to 6 am tonight w/ another 1-2' above 7,000' and an advisory below 7,000' w/ 4-8" expected. but, it hasn't been updated since 3 this afternoon, and their regular forecast is saying something different, and that warning is usually on other weather sites too so........

tomorrow is gonna be nice snow-wise, but wind gusts up to 70mph means when the sun comes out on Thursday things at the top of Alpine are gonna be sweet.

If the winds die down by 4:30am Kellie and I are coming up. NWS just put the damper on possible driving and ski conditions tomorrow though.

Blizzard Warning
    URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
    1010 PM PST TUE DEC 7 2004
    .ANOTHER STRONG PACIFIC STORM IS MOVING INTO NORTHEAST CALIFORNIA...
    AND THE NORTHERN SIERRA TONIGHT. THIS SYSTEM WILL BRING WARMER
    TEMPERATURES AND INCREASE SNOW LEVELS TO 7000 FEET BY EARLY WEDNESDAY
    MORNING. IN ADDITION...STRONG WINDS ARE EXPECTED AND WILL CREATE
    LIFE THREATENING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS ABOVE 7000 FEET IN THE LAKE
    TAHOE REGION. IF YOU PLAN TO TRAVEL IN THE SIERRA TONIGHT AND
    WEDNESDAY PREPARE FOR HAZARDOUS WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS.

CAZ072-NVZ002-081400-
    GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-
    1010 PM PST TUE DEC 7 2004

...WINTER STORM WARNING UPGRADED TO BLIZZARD WARNING ABOVE 7000 FEET
    UNTIL 4 PM PST WEDNESDAY......SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY
    BELOW 7000 FEET...

SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...WITH INCREASING SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL CREATE
    LIFE THREATENING BLIZZARD CONDITIONS BY WEDNESDAY MORNING ABOVE 7000
    FEET. WIND SPEEDS OF 30 TO 45 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 70 MPH ARE EXPECTED
    BY WEDNESDAY MORNING WITH GUSTS TO 100 MPH POSSIBLE OVER EXPOSED
    RIDGES. THE WINDS AND SNOW WILL CREATE NEAR ZERO VISIBILITIES FOR
    AREAS ABOVE 7000 FEET.
    BELOW 7000 FEET...WARM AIR ASSOCIATED WITH THE
    SYSTEM WILL CHANGE THE SNOW TO RAIN WITH VISIBILITIES OF 1/4 MILE OR
    BETTER BY 6 AM PST.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES ARE EXPECTED AT LAKE LEVEL BY
    MORNING WITH 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOW ABOVE 7000 FEET BY WEDNESDAY
    AFTERNOON.
    IF YOU MUST TRAVEL THROUGH THE SIERRA TONIGHT AND
    WEDNESDAY...MAKE SURE YOU CARRY A WINTER SURVIVAL KIT.

$$

High Wind Warning
    URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
    1038 PM PST TUE DEC 7 2004

.ANOTHER STRONG PACIFIC STORM WILL MOVE INTO THE SIERRA AND WESTERN
    NEVADA TONIGHT AND PRODUCE STRONG GUSTY WINDS OVER MUCH OF THE AREA.
    WINDS WILL INCREASE BY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING AND REMAIN STRONG
    UNTIL WEDNESDAY EVENING.

RESIDENTS ARE URGED TO BRING IN LOOSE OBJECTS. THIS MAY INCLUDE
    HOLIDAY DECORATIONS THAT ARE NOT TIED DOWN OR SECURELY FIXED TO YOUR
    HOME. STRONG WINDS WILL ALSO CAUSE DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS FOR
    HIGH PROFILE VEHICLES.

CAZ072-NVZ002-081400-
    GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-
    1038 PM PST TUE DEC 7 2004

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM WEDNESDAY UNTIL 8 PM PST
    WEDNESDAY BELOW 7000 FEET....

SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL INCREASE TO 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 70 MPH
    OVER THE LAKE TAHOE BASIN BY SUNRISE WEDNESDAY. WINDS WILL CONTINUE
    THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON BEFORE DIMINISHING AFTER 6 PM.

$$
    Last edited by Clack; 12-08-2004 at 12:07 AM.

Nothin like 100 mph powder. Yeehaw!! See ya there Thursday, Clack.

Is it wrong that I am looking, well actually crying as I watch the KWood webcam?

Stupid Colorado. I move here after 3 seasons at the wood, and BAM!!! early season storms seem to be a dime a dozen in Tahoe. Maybe I am overeacting, but watching the lights from the snowcat appear and dissapear in the blowing snow on the wood's webcam make me wish I kept my shitty job in the bay. At least I am a little closer to little cottonwood canyon... i think?

go get some for the rest of us that will be watching from our three-walled cubes , with no privacy from our hovering bosses
    "That's what she said."

Wind died down a bit right now but 88 be closed at the spur and its too risky with only one sick day. Thursday it be. (doesn't mean I don't have a strong feeling that the wind will die completely, 88 will open at 8:30, and it will snow lightly all day until 4 when it warms up and drops elmer's glue for us all tomorrow)

Quote Originally Posted by monster dump.
    Wind died down a bit right now but 88 be closed at the spur and its too risky with only one sick day. Thursday it be. (doesn't mean I don't have a strong feeling that the wind will die completely, 88 will open at 8:30, and it will snow lightly all day until 4 when it warms up and drops elmer's glue for us all tomorrow)
    its stil howling up here.
    steezarific!!

"I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

holy heavy snow. got about 10-12" at 6,500' at my house and still coming down. in fact, the snow is so heavy that i busted one of the shear pins on my snow blower after trying to blow a full bucket out of the gate. repair made me too late to catch my dawn patrol crew and today is NOT a day to go solo on the bc. it is getting warm though and will prolly be raining at the lake level soon. sooo, peeps waiting till thursday def made the right call.

as gimpy said it is DUMPING at 6500 (he lives about a mile away from me) and we got WAY more than they expected. Pretty heavy, but definitely not sierra cement, i was able to throw it over the power lines which is pretty good snow. it is blowing hard though, whipping the snow around.

enjoy thursday boys and girls, KILL IT! I want pics! arty swing by and i will give you the camcorder and extra tape and battery (that is if you are willing to take a second and film, if you don't i understand. )

gonna be hard to sit in the hospital working on thursday, my friggin birthday no less, knowing it is easily gonna be the best day of the year so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lph
    enjoy thursday boys and girls, KILL IT! I want pics! arty swing by and i will give you the camcorder and extra tape and battery (that is if you are willing to take a second and film, if you don't i understand. )
    No hablo ingles.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

What do you guys think about Squaw given the snow levels and precip?? Seems to me that Thursday might be pretty wet and heavy unless they open, um, the things they say they might open, but who knows about that....what says the old guard??

No insight into Squaw, but I think Kookwood is going to be snow freak show with wind hammered cement on top of nice lite wind hammered powder. I'm stoked.

LPH, bummer that you can't ski on your birthday.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

this heavy-ish wind hammered snow is perfect for stomping landings and maching out of them with high speed gs turns. have fun kiddos.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

i need some water content of the current snowfall numbers to make a call....my guess is tmrw is gonna blow. 100mph gusts w/rising temps and snow levels all day today = some funky wind hammered heavy mank tomorrow....i hope i am wrong.....but just not sure tmrw is gonna be worth skipping work for....

.....after 9 days of snow and wind, we found ourselves in the tram heading to the summit of the Aiguille du Midi.

This was the first day that the Aiguille was open this season, with the exit tunnel through the glacier not quite clear of snow and ice. The only people up here are sightseeing tourists, or skiers who, with their guide, would walk down the trechearous Arete knife-edge to a safes spot where they will put on their skis.

The plan then was to ski until Scot decided he want to ski the Couloir.

"That cool with you Murray?"

"Yep"

UGH!

UGH!!

UGH!!!

STEEEP!!!!!

Exhausted, Schmidt collapses at the bottom of the chute.

"Yeah...snow's real firm....don't let them run"

Nice quote Punani, you listen to the vinyl yet?

Quote Originally Posted by skier666
    Nice quote Punani, you listen to the vinyl yet?
    Oh shit no. The turntables are locked up in my roommate's room. I'm telling him to set it up out in the living room.

What's our ETD for tonight? Also Greydon, Stoneywall, Crack, Kellie.....you all headin up?

So snow wind and weather experts... how will Friday be? It's my only chance.

I'd say the earliest 7 pm...let traffic die down, wait for the storm a little, let Caltrans do their magic...I'll keep on top of it though.

I could pick everyone up....just PM your address Pu. I'll get Stoneywall's too....I'm guessing that would be the easiest due to the fact that parking cars outside people's parking zones may provide perfect opportunities for DPT to issue citations....and we don't need that.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666
    I'd say the earliest 7 pm...let traffic die down, wait for the storm a little, let Caltrans do their magic...I'll keep on top of it though.

I could pick everyone up....just PM your address Pu. I'll get Stoneywall's too....I'm guessing that would be the easiest due to the fact that parking cars outside people's parking zones may provide perfect opportunities for DPT to issue citations....and we don't need that.
    Oh chauffeur service! Sweet man! PM sent. I'm about a mile south of SBC Park

pouring rain today in truckee and TC. any report from the mountains??? nws said snow level 7000. T or F???

-b
    Powder. It gives you the freedom to be retarded. (S. Morrison)

Im at 7200' and its doing nadda.
    steezarific!!

Quote Originally Posted by britney
    pouring rain today in truckee and TC. any report from the mountains??? nws said snow level 7000. T or F???

-b
    hmm, doesn't look good for tomorrow with the temps forecast to be 41 - 51 AND the wet rain/snow combo today and tonight might just half to chalk this storm up to "hey, this is plastering everything w/a good solid base, setting us up for the season" type storms vs a pow day tomorrow or Fri....

Tonight. Windy with rain. Snow and blowing snow likely then chance of rain and snow after midnight. Snow level 7500 feet. Snow accumulation up to 2 inches. Lows 25 to 35. Southwest winds 20 to 30 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Gusts up to 60 mph in the evening. Gusts to 90 mph over ridges.

Thursday. Partly cloudy. Highs 41 to 51. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph in the afternoon.