View Poll Results: How do you feel about Kincos?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • I rock em, love em, and dont see myself using anything else

55 40.15%
  • They are a good glove, but a proper ski glove is superior

40 29.20%
  • I have used them but do not like them

6 4.38%
  • I have not used them

36 26.28%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kincos, A Poll

Kincos, A Poll

Kincos. I was first introduced to them when I was working at the mountain four years ago. I was tearing up my expensive dakines bumping chairs, and it made since buying a cheap insulated work glove for, well, work. Soon I began skiing with them and the dakines found a lonely place in the backpack as a backup.

4 years, ~250 ski days later, I am still rocking that same pair of Kincos, which seem to have quite a bit of life left too... I recently picked up the fabric backed, lighter insulated variety for spring days as well.

Over these 4 years I have converted just about everyone I ski with to Kincos. They all say the same thing: "These gloves are awesome!"

Kincos are not just a cheap glove. They last forever, and when sealed properly, perform better than a gortex glove. With trusted brands like Hestra and Flylow now copying Kincos design, it is becoming more evident that the expensive goretex glove is not the end all, be all of gloves.

Personally, Kincos are my glove. I do not see myself with anything else on my hands for years to come.

So I am interested in if there is anyone out there that has used kincos, was disappointed, and returned to a traditional ski glove.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'd get a pair if I could find them, hestras are getting shredded.

Your poll is missing the "right glove for the right day" option. I wear Kincos or something similar most of the time but when it's really wet or digging a snow cave, a good gore-tex shell is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Your poll is missing the "right glove for the right day" option. I wear Kincos or something similar most of the time but when it's really wet or digging a snow cave, a good gore-tex shell is a good idea.
    agreed, im in the same boat

need another option--use 'em, love 'em, but still use and love my other ski gloves. I guess it depends on the day?

oh, and you can get them online if you can't find them locally. $1 shipping here (not that I've ordered them): http://www.gemplers.com/insulated-leather/kinco

Can someone explain to me the allure, other than price and durability? Not to knock those, but the thought of wearing a fabric backed glove seems.... damp. You just snoseal the crap out of them?

I prefer a gauntlet style glove for various reasons, but probably mostly preference. I see they make a "safety cuff," but I'm talking about the thing with the draw string. For warm days, I have fall bike gloves. Also, after using the leather balm, that Hestra leather is amazing.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Can someone explain to me the allure, other than price and durability? Not to knock those, but the thought of wearing a fabric backed glove seems.... damp. You just snoseal the crap out of them?
    I haven't used their fabric backed gloves, but dampness hasn't been a problem for me with the pigskin backed ones.

I got sick of regular gloves getting old and stinky quickly, so I just used some work gloves I got at Home Depot a few years ago. They worked great for about 5 years.

Recently got the Axeman mitt to replace the old gloves and love them. Fingers are separated in the mitten but I like that. . . my hands dry faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    It started as as "I'm a dirtbag _______ spinning chairs, riding sleds, digging out snow fence, running toboggans, riding rope tows, chopping landings" type thing because Kincos are warm, durable, and CHEAP. You can burn through a lot of $150 "Patrol" gloves in a season and that adds up earning $9/hr working at a resort or guiding folks around in hopes of enough of a tip to buy a couple Old Forresters at the bar later.

I guess people liked the "core" aspect of looking like a dirtbag resort employee/guide and grabbed onto the trend. The gloves are cheap and work so I guess it's a win/win.

Me personally, I used to fit into the dirtbag _______ category. Now I have more expensive gloves I wear for certain things but I usually keep a few pair of Kincos or Flylows (same thing) around because I get drunk and leave them on my bumper, lend them out and don't see them again, don't want my yurt gloves to smell like 2-stroke mix etc. They are warm and generally cheap. They don't dry out once wet so not great snow cave or yurt trip gloves if things are going to be wet. Snowsealed leather only goes so far.

If you want to look core and still spend a lot of money, check out Rocky Mountain Handshoes out of MT. They'll have you trace your hand and sew you some custom choice leather work gloves you can still wear army surplus wool liners under.
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

note: flylow gloves are made by kincos, but to different spec than the traditional kinco glove. the flylow version is 30% more insulated, a little bit better leather, and come well sno-sealed. they are only $25.... flylow alos makes a full leather $40 version as well.

i really like the flylow/kincos gloves, but once they get a little wet, its over. they are soaked for days.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I'll never pay $$$ for another glove. Love my kincos. I use the all pig skin ones. I also have a pair that have the re-enforced fingers and palms, but they take forever to break in.
    on the send bus to gnar town

they are a great cheap glove, period. i wear them almost all the time. i have many different pairs. but, i have some OR g-tex mitts for the gnarly wet and/or super cold jay days.

Slight drift, these have become my go to touring glove (heavily sno-sealed/nik-waxed) I find Kinco's too warm.
    $16.00, and perfect between ~15-30 degrees. (good for me down to 0 after getting warmed up). They also make exceptional trail building and fall riding gloves, so it's a hell of a bargain.

(is pic working?)
    Last edited by rideit; 01-04-2011 at 09:43 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

we don't have em up here and nobody drinks bourbon either

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    note: flylow gloves are made by kincos, but to different spec than the traditional kinco glove. the flylow version is 30% more insulated, a little bit better leather, and come well sno-sealed. they are only $25.... flylow alos makes a full leather $40 version as well.

Didn't know that but can see it. I've been wearing some of those all leather Flylows even on the cold days.

Kinco 901's almost every day. I have an old pair of BD guides that I save for the coldest or wettest days. They are 6 years old and still like new.

fyi i pulled the 30% out of my ass a little. but ABOUT 30% more insulated. if you directly compare, they are definately more insulated.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

For years I used various gloves or liners with a gortex or event shell mitten. Either I was cold or too hot (and then sweaty followed by cold again). Love my Kincos now. They're just right on most days. I should note that I don't wear them while skinning or late spring/summer outtings. Thinner gloves for that - kick ass work gloves I found at Home Depot a few years back, or mtb gloves if it's warmer.
    TRs, photos, videos, and building skis (2 pairs so far...):
    http://wasatchprotocol.wordpress.com/

the term 'kincos' is too vague. kincos has many models of gloves.

...is my favorite. warm oven / snoseal / repeat, makes 'em highly water resistant for most ski days. They work well for me in 5 F - 35 F temps. If it gets near zero I sometimes add a thin liner glove. One reason I wouldn't want the flylow version is that the rumor is it has 30% more insulation...would be a sweaty mess for me. Women and guys with poor circulation might have a different preference.

THe cotton backed versions don't make much sense to me, but they are cheap and readily available at the local hardware stores so I guess that's why many patrollers still use them.

I like the sound of the extra insulation kincos, but I wanna see one that goes over my sleeves, not under. Also, the idea that they fail when wet is kind of a deal breaker. Still like my Hestras!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Yea I guess I am missing the "right glove for the right day" option.

But when it is really wet, some what often here in tahoe, I still use my Kincos, as I hate it when the outer fabric of a gortex glove gets soaked. Then they dont breathe, so the inside gets soaked... and so on. Well sealed Kincos will not soak up like that.

When I know I am going on a overnight trip, knowing I will be building a snowcave/igloo, or that it is likely, I bring $15 chemical gloves. Perfect for "hands and knees in the snow" type of work.

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Wow, I was just looking at their website. They make a lot of stuff. The orange ones look like they'd be good for hunting and other cold weather work/fun.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    THe cotton backed versions don't make much sense to me, but they are cheap and readily available at the local hardware stores so I guess that's why many patrollers still use them.
    These?

I just got a pair, love them during clear days that are ~30-45degF. They are waterproof where it counts and breathe well out the top.

Now I need to get a pair of these for hiking/skinning, and super warm days on the hill

And a pair of these for shoveling the deck.
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

My favorite Kinco Story involved the winter I lived in Tahoe. In 99/00 I was turned on to them as a sled guide around the Irwin area. By the winter of 01/02 when I was in Tahoe, they apparently hadn't quite made their big debut out West and a ski buddy was giving me some shit for glove choices-

"You planning on doing some gardening or what, why would you ski in those?" To which his girlfriend replied (in a tone that suggested gear whore irritation) "Whatever Adam, he probably picked those up for $10 and they work fine, how many times have you sent those $90 POS gloves back because they keep falling apart"

Those 901 full leather versions are now available around here at several hardware stores and damn near everybody uses them. They work for the cold/dry climate here. When they get wet you just throw on the second pair that you picked up the year prior.
    Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    A better option would be to quit whining and go ski somewhere with less people around.
    __________________________________________________ __________

Aclimate Sports Drink- "Go higher feel better"