Is it me or are the '10/'11 Salomon Ghost Boots really cold boots?

Today was about 20 degrees on Hood, and I have never ever been cold unless its approaching Zero. I have skied in these boots 2 times now, and today was almost unbearable.

When we were having lunch I felt the plastic on my boots and the rest of my friends and the Ghosts felt like I was touching Ice Cubes, while everyone else had just a light cold feel to them.

Anyone else experience this? Insight?

I think it's mainly because of the thin liners... Cold indeed.

low instep cutting of circulation? that liner looks similar to the falcon ones and that is no better/worse then much else.
    maybe you are overtightening the buckles (due to a lack of buckles?) not sure

maybe a thin intuition liner?

Don't know if year-to-year changes were made, but my 09/10 Ghosts are stupid warm.

So this years boots are the Custom Shell, I believe its the first year for that. I had the Shoguns last year and never had this problem.

I barely have to buckle these boots, so over tightening is not the issue. I love how they ski, it just blows me away at how cold my feet got when I have never had this issue before. Usually my feet sweat a ton and if I stand around then they get cold.

Boots were dry and warm when I put them on this morning. This is kinda irking me a little bit.

I used to be a boot fitter so I have some experience in working on boots and fit so i'm kinda stumped on this one.

can you borrow a liner from someone and see if it is the shell or the liner?

maybe the footbeds?

shoulda gone with Tecnica's Brah!!!
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Definitely cold. My big toes are numb this morning and it wasn't even cold the last couple days. Is there some effective way to insulate just the toe box of the liners? I was thinking a thin layer of felt glued over the toe box might work- then again, it would get shredded while wrestling the liner into the shell every morning.

I love the way these ski but goddamn they can be a pain to put on.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    I barely have to buckle these boots,
    Maybe the overlap of the shell isn't closing tight enough to create a seal.

I was thinking about taking a space blanket and cutting it in similar pieces that the liner is made up of, but just a little bit bigger. Then glue/taping the pieces together to create a sock for the toes. I got to do something, if that doesnt work I'll be putting an Intuition liner in there.

That might work, but wouldn't you want something a little more breathable? I'm concerned that an impermeable layer will trap condensation and make the toes damper and thereby colder.

I was going to put this on the outside of the liner. Between the liner and the shell. There will be space in there for sure, so it wouldnt be air tight. Anything is better than cold feet when its not really too cold out.

Right on. Let's compare notes in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    Don't know if year-to-year changes were made, but my 09/10 Ghosts are stupid warm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    I love the way these ski but goddamn they can be a pain to put on.
    My 09/10's feel just as warm as my Kryptons with Intuition liners. Too bad I still can't figure out how to get the f***ing things on my feet.

I have been skiing these boots a bit lately, and will agree...fantastic boot. I have a "numbing" issue with the left foot but i believe that is nothing a good mold or whatever wont fix. Seems to me the boot binds on my foot right across the top of the lower buckle. I can't tell if its the cold making the foot numb of the tightness across the top of the foot. Since its only one foot i dont think its the cold.

Good luck on a fix.. I really like that boot.

Quote Originally Posted by powbmps View Post
    My 09/10's feel just as warm as my Kryptons with Intuition liners. Too bad I still can't figure out how to get the f***ing things on my feet.
    My 09/10 boots are super warm too as long as I don't over-tighten the lower buckle right off the bat. I find that even one extra notch in the morning can leave my feet cold for the rest of the day, regardless of loosening buckles on the lift or what-have-you. I think that there's a mental glitch that makes you want to crank those buckles because there are only two of them. Try keeping them a little looser.
    As far as getting them on goes, I use the 'put your liner on, then put your foot in the shell' method and it works great. Ghosts are bastards to get on, though. No denying that.

Where does one get 2011 Ghosts? I've been to 5 sally shops and nobody's carrying them. Want.

Quote Originally Posted by millerstone View Post
    I think that there's a mental glitch that makes you want to crank those buckles because there are only two of them. Try keeping them a little looser.
    Maybe it's a mental glitch, maybe it's that these are a shell size down from my old boots, but I totally agree. Took me a few days to figure this out.

As far as getting them on goes, I use the 'put your liner on, then put your foot in the shell' method and it works great.
    If you can keep the shells warm, it works great. If one of them happens to get cold during the process then it's more like 50% great, 50% brutal.

Still nothing but love, although it's three days later and my big toes are still feeling pretty thick.