spook Guest

Mt. Bachelor/Central Oregon 2010-2011

somebody suggested the thread, so here it is. i'm hoping to make it over there in february for 3-4 days to use all my vouchers.

meanwhile...

14-year-old Portland boy rescued on Mount Bachelor around midnight after losing ski

BEND — The Deschutes County Sheriff’s Office says a 14-year-old boy endured temperatures as low as minus 5 degrees when he became lost on Mount Bachelor.

The sheriff’s office says that Jake Denham of Portland was reported missing around 5:30 p.m. by his family.

Around midnight, search and rescue crews found Denham in good health.

The teenager had lost one of his skis while skiing down a steep terrain. He managed to get out of the area on foot but as it got dark the teen built a small snow cave for cover.

-- The Associated Press

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i...boy_rescu.html

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    The teenager had lost one of his skis while skiing down a steep terrain.
    On Mt Bachelor? Where?

spook Guest
    5' in 5 days i hear...

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    He managed to get out of the area on foot but as it got dark the teen built a small snow cave for cover.
    this kid was SMART!

Thanks Spook for a Mt.B thread. Also an Avy Thursday which they tried to cover up. If there's any steep terrain at Bachelor I haven't found it. Carry on.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    On Mt Bachelor? Where?
    I love bachelor, but thought the same. There is no steep. Endless well spaced trees, but not many linked steep turns...

Glad the boy made it out ok. Cold!

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Thanks Spook for a Mt.B thread. Also an Avy Thursday which they tried to cover up. If there's any steep terrain at Bachelor I haven't found it. Carry on.
    I accidentally rode across it at about 10am. The visibility was poor and it surprised me when I was heading down the cat track and suddenly was bouncing across big chunks of snow. Freaky.

Looks like they opened summit today. Looked fluffy based on looking at people from Tumalo, but I have to imagine there's a ton of windslab up there.

You can still see that crown line from the moraine avalanche. Could have caused some issues if it was any larger.

Crowds are large these days. Dutchman's was a junkshow with giant sno-mo trailers parked overnight in the middle of the parking lot. That kind of crap is what gives sleds a bad name. It's a shame for all the cool sled people.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Julius View Post
    Looks like they opened summit today. Looked fluffy based on looking at people from Tumalo, but I have to imagine there's a ton of windslab up there.

You can still see that crown line from the moraine avalanche. Could have caused some issues if it was any larger.

Crowds are large these days. Dutchman's was a junkshow with giant sno-mo trailers parked overnight in the middle of the parking lot. That kind of crap is what gives sleds a bad name. It's a shame for all the cool sled people.
    Dutchman parking lot is a mess. You get a few super-long trailers in there and it packs up pretty quickly.

do you know any details? how big? i heard it was on the moraine...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFNRoOF_azE"]YouTube - Sucks being the cameraman![/nomedia]
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I was up on Bachelor on Dec 30th. Holy deepness. We were the 8th chair up on Northwest Express and made a few laps in some of the lightest snow I've ever skied on The Bach. I wish I had a camera as it was a blast watching my 60 year old Dad ski like he was 30 again!

side note: Fuck that mountain is flat and crowded. I've lived in Sun Valley for 10 years now and had forgotten what a shit show that place is on the holidays! Add a snow storm and WOW! Abeit they get a shit load more snow, so I'll take some flats for some extra powder days!
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

Awesome related video to yours...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a--XVdGCs7M&feature=related"]YouTube - Snowboarding Turkey at Mt. Bachelor[/nomedia]

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    I was up on Bachelor on Dec 30th. Holy deepness. We were the 8th chair up on Northwest Express and made a few laps in some of the lightest snow I've ever skied on The Bach. I wish I had a camera as it was a blast watching my 60 year old Dad ski like he was 30 again!

side note: Fuck that mountain is flat and crowded. I've lived in Sun Valley for 10 years now and had forgotten what a shit show that place is on the holidays! Add a snow storm and WOW! Abeit they get a shit load more snow, so I'll take some flats for some extra powder days!
    Yeah, we were there the 29th, 30th, and 31st. Best skiing I've ever had on Bachy although we didn't see the crowds. For 2 runs on NWX we waited for 10 minutes, aside from that we skied right on to the lift. Regardless, perfect weather, perfect snow from open to close.

Anyone making laps/beer Wed. @ Bach?