Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

In-Bounds safety kit/checklist

In light of the tragedy at Alpine resulting in losing Shawnte Marie Willis and another member asking how to better prepare his wife for inbounds safety I propose the following idea. Fathers of teens who ride solo or with their buddies, wives and GF's who ride alone and all of us lone wolves that prowl the edges of big resorts and side country should have a basic survival kit.

Those who use the backcountry rock packs with shovels, probes ect are probably pretty well geared up for the back, but many who ride inbounds could survive a night out or get found by patrol allot faster with a glow stick or flasher.

Inbounds Safety kit

1. Full hydrapack with some storage
    2. Orange space blanket
    3. LOUD plastic whistle on lanyard inside with tiny compass
    4. LED headlamp with on and flashing mode
    5. Extra hand or body warmes
    6. Fire starter kit, cotton balls with vaseline in film can/lighter
    7. some extra bars
    8. a glow-stick on a string to swing overhead if searchers can be heard.

This is a $25-30 investment that could make a huge help stuck after the lifts close, in a white-out, hurt in the trees or whatever...

As far as directions and using the compass goes take a resort map and sit the wife or kids down with a compass and MARK the trail map with a sharpy N-S-E-W and throw it is a zip-lock.

a 2-second google found this site just now, they have some super cheap compass with built in whistle, blanket ect....

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/ShelterProducts.htm
    Last edited by Crampedon; 12-31-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Thats more than many people carry when out of the resort......!

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    Thats more than many people carry when out of the resort......!
    No Doubt! I fit that AND shovel/probe/ thermos/ camera/ zig-zags....

Pack a brain...most people die because they do stupid things.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    In light of the tragedy at Alpine resulting in losing Shawnte Marie Willis and another member asking how to better prepare his wife for inbounds safety I propose the following idea. Fathers of teens who ride solo or with their buddies, wives and GF's who ride alone and all of us lone wolves that prowl the edges of big resorts and side country should have a basic survival kit.

Those who use the backcountry rock packs with shovels, probes ect are probably pretty well geared up for the back, but many who ride inbounds could survive a night out or get found by patrol allot faster with a glow stick or flasher.

Inbounds Safety kit

1. Full hydrapack with some storage
    2. Orange space blanket
    3. LOUD plastic whistle on lanyard inside with tiny compass
    4. LED headlamp with on and flashing mode
    5. Extra hand or body warmes
    6. Fire starter kit, cotton balls with vaseline in film can/lighter
    7. some extra bars
    8. a glow-stick on a string to swing overhead if searchers can be heard.

This is a $25-30 investment that could make a huge help stuck after the lifts close, in a white-out, hurt in the trees or whatever...

As far as directions and using the compass goes take a resort map and sit the wife or kids down with a compass and MARK the trail map with a sharpy N-S-E-W and throw it is a zip-lock.

a 2-second google found this site just now, they have some super cheap compass with built in whistle, blanket ect....

http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/ShelterProducts.htm
    I bet you have a fallout shelter stocked with food and water for 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Pack a brain...most people die because they do stupid things.
    ^^There is the sad truth... common sense ain't that common.

The best place to put your whistle is on a piece of cord tied to your backpack shoulder strap.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

1. A Coke Zero in my pocket.
    2. An Ipod with spare earbuds
    3. A chapstick (and a spare)
    4. A Blackberry so I can chat, send text, photos, check stocks, and email.
    5. A couple dollars to buy drinks from the ski patrol.

Yeah seems like a huge waste to me too, you're in bounds and should never be that far from help. Like everyone else said use your brain and you will be fine, a cell phone is the only thing I take when skiing alone since pretty much everywhere has coverage these days.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    1. A Coke Zero in my pocket.
    2. An Ipod with spare earbuds
    3. A chapstick (and a spare)
    4. A Blackberry so I can chat, send text, photos, check stocks, and email.
    5. A couple dollars to buy drinks from the ski patrol.
    No sunscreen? You're gonna die for sure.
    Change is good. You go first.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbd View Post
    No sunscreen? You're gonna die for sure.
    Sunscreen makes an awful mess if the container breaks. I use SPF 30 chapstick in a pinch!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I bet you have a fallout shelter stocked with food and water for 2 months.
    No shelter but food to get through a hurricane. I lived in the Caribbean and through 3 and sat for several weeks with NO stores open, no running water and no electricity. No Fun.

Here is Hawaii only fools do not have a pile of canned goods, rice and extra cases of bottled water stashed. Ask anyone that lived through Iniki in 1992. No electricity for 6 weeks! 5000 homes destroyed.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Iniki[/ame]

+++ on the pack a brain, they stopped giving them out years ago!

It's just bad for everyone when their are tragedies inbounds. Resorts cost go up, families lose loved ones, access gates start getting the eye for closures.

I believe in evolution and natural selection, but have a heart!

Ya'll can make all the jokes you want but there is more than one person that would be alive today with a space blanket and whistle in their pack.

It might be your chick or kid, not your bad-ass backcountry billy-goat self!

...zig-zags....
    Yeah, getting fucking stoned in the side country by yourself is fucking brilliant. Maybe if you weren't baked out of your gourd you wouldn't put yourself into stupid situations. How about you lay off the drugs for 2 seconds and leave all that other shit at home?

Quote Originally Posted by Powder28 View Post
    Yeah seems like a huge waste to me too, you're in bounds and should never be that far from help. Like everyone else said use your brain and you will be fine, a cell phone is the only thing I take when skiing alone since pretty much everywhere has coverage these days.
    Bullshit, I carry the aforementioned survival gear whenever I'm further than 10 feet from a lodge. Ever heard of Be Prepared?

Also cell phones are a terrible thing to rely on, especially since cold temps sap the shit out of batteries--plus I have AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder28 View Post
    ....and when the battery goes dead and you have a simple fracture that keeps you from walking or skiing, just a bit off-piste in the trees...

...that 2 oz. $3 orange space blanket and whistle will seem like too much to carry?

I believe in playing percentages. I was a boy scout (primarily because the troop had access to a fantastic bass pond!)

Be prepared!

whistle-knife-flashlight $20 too bad it has no lighter!

Many folks view this idea as overkill. They are certainly entitled to their opinion.

But is being prepared really such a bad idea?

I am continually astounded by the number of people who go O/B-S/C with no way to survive a night outside.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by kevok2 View Post
    Bullshit, I carry the aforementioned survival gear whenever I'm further than 10 feet from a lodge. Ever heard of Be Prepared?

Also cell phones are a terrible thing to rely on, especially since cold temps sap the shit out of batteries--plus I have AT&T.
    Do you wear your sash too?

The most annoying thing is two days after a storm and "Mister Xtreme Backcountry" gets on the lift with his thirty pound pack and almost pushes everyone else off trying to accomodate the thing.

....and when the battery goes dead and you have a simple fracture that keeps you from walking or skiing, just a bit off-piste in the trees...
    Yeah that goes back to using your brain... In the Wasatch where i ski you are almost always guaranteed cell service, and my phone battery has never just randomly died throughout the day.

Regardless I am not planning on just using my cell phone to get me out of a situation. Its never just one thing(fracture) that leads to an emergency its a series of events that stack up, usually from not using your brain! Use some common sense and don't put all your trust/resources in a little safety whistle and a space blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by gameface View Post
    Yeah, getting fucking stoned in the side country by yourself is fucking brilliant. Maybe if you weren't baked out of your gourd you wouldn't put yourself into stupid situations. How about you lay off the drugs for 2 seconds and leave all that other shit at home?

Oh hear we go.... Johnny judgemental getting butthurt about a small joke.

Do I sound "baked out of my gourd" ? You leave your basic survival shit and home and just say a prayer and cross your fingers if things go south. I'll be smokin' a joint around my campfire wrapped in my bivy sack if things go to shit.

OR I will be prepared to help some else.

This is the voice of reason talking, not some bro-brah with limited brain function. Ever see me in a stupid situation? Not so much.

Ever take a match to a Frito?
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    The most annoying thing is two days after a storm and "Mister Xtreme Backcountry" gets on the lift with his thirty pound pack and almost pushes everyone else off trying to accomodate the thing.
    haha agreed, this is how i am picking mister crampdeon. maybe since you are from the caribbean I should cut you some slack for having no clue... A whistle isn't going to save your life, being smart and not putting yourself in the situation where you have to rely on a space blanket to live through the night is.

Sorry but I have been skiing for close to 15 years well over 100 days a year and I cant think of one time where any of that crap you are planning to carry would have done any good, either way I could have found a way out of the situation without having to carry 5 pounds of extra crap for the one case in 30 years it might make things more comfortable. Regardless none of that shit is gonna make the difference between living in dieing if you are skiing at any ski resort in Utah....

A whistle when trapped in a tree well just might be a life saver.
    I ski because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

"This deep snow makes my skis stupid!"

Oh hear we go.... Johnny judgemental getting butthurt about a small joke.

Do I sound "baked out of my gourd" ? You leave your basic survival shit and home and just say a prayer and cross your fingers if things go south. I'll be smokin' a joint around my campfire wrapped in my bivy sack if things go to shit.

OR I will be prepared to help some else.

This is the voice of reason talking, not some bro-brah with limited brain function. Ever see me in a stupid situation? Not so much.
    My point being is you talk about all this safety insurance and in the same post you mention using drugs. Seems to me, the first priority is having a clear head and maybe half of that shit wouldn't be necessary.

It amazes me how many people take "breaks" on hikes OB. Yeah, rely on the beacon and your fucked mind to save your buddy that gets sent 500' down some mandatory air.

I wasn't necessarily attacking you, I'm just pointing out how stupid your "joke" (be honest, it wasn't a joke) was in light of the message you are trying to send (which IS important).

Quote Originally Posted by SkiED View Post
    haha agreed, this is how i am picking mister crampdeon. maybe since you are from the caribbean I should cut you some slack for having no clue... A whistle isn't going to save your life, being smart and not putting yourself in the situation where you have to rely on a space blanket to live through the night is.
    No clue? Please.

That's the why it's called and ACCIDENT! Plan for the unknown. the heaviest thing in my pack is the water, all that shit weighs under a pound.

How can people sit back and make an argument to not be prepared?

Do you go through avi country with no gear? Drive without a spare? Not carry jumper cables? Ride a bike with no pump/tube? Fuck strange chicks without a rubber? Go kayak with no vest? Surf big waves with no leash? Hunt without an orange vest?

unreal. And you all think you are mountain-hardcore?

-From the mountains, the Caribbean was just a decade of 80's...decadence!

Don't forget the lone carabiner on the pack. And some powder cords.