Ortovox & Deuter backpacks

So I'm looking at both ortovox and deuter packs. Since the ski packs are little sold in the US, I'm having a hell of a time finding info/reviews on them. So any experience you've had with either brand's packs would be helpful.

For a the chica (snowboarder) I'm looking at the women's Ortovox Free Rider 22, women's Ortovox Haute Raute 32, or deuter freerider 28 SL. For myself (skier), likely the deuter freerider 30, but also looking at the ortovox haute route 35.

I recently bought the Deuter freerider pro.
    So far i am impressed with the build quality and the amazing amount of pockets & zips. Not a lightweight touring pack though.

Both brands are very popular in Europe and with excellent reputation. I own the Deuter Guide 35+, which is a bit less specialized - if you are looking for something that you can also use for hiking in the summer. I looked at the Haute Raute when I was buying - seemed like a solid pack as well; I got the Deuter mainly because it was on sale.

Make sure the ski carry loops can accommodate your skis, especially if you plan to carry anything >105mm underfoot - I think the Euros are still a bit behind in that respect...

Quote Originally Posted by BGSTi_403 View Post
    Make sure the ski carry loops can accommodate your skis, especially if you plan to carry anything >105mm underfoot - I think the Euros are still a bit behind in that respect...
    All of the Deuter packs with a-frame carry HUDGE skis. No problems putting 145mm tails in the loops.

My EH guide I bought this year is great.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/deuter/eh-guide/

Very comfortable. Internal frame is strong and sits on my hips and back quite well. I'm 6' 2"The ski carry mode is bomber. Plenty of room for day tours. Discontinued now but the new guide 30 or 35 is probably equally as nice or better. The only drawback is the lack of a full side zip. Not sure if the newer guide models have them. Would be nice to have.
    Thanks SHIRK for the hook-up. !
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

I've been using a Dakine Heli Pro for inbound/slackcountry days, and while it's a decent looking bag with a lot of functions, specific pockets for camera, goggles, shovel handle and blade, the fit is not always what I want it to be. I'm constantly having to tighten the straps, cinch down the sternum and waist straps. It's fine for inbounds - never super annoying, but never fitting me as well as I wish it would. Too much movement on my back, but everything fits snugly inside. I sent my older heli pack in for warranty, thinking the stiffness of new material on the backplate would make the fit better. It did - but still not the perfect fit.

Shirk hooked me up with a EH Guide 30 pack last winter. I'm very impressed. I figured I'd use it as a BC and longer trip pack, but the fit of it trumps the heli every time. It sits tight without being constrictive, and is high enough on your back for a near free range of movement. The spine channel in the back plate lets air flow through, and seems to allow more movement/flexibility. The weight distribution is amazing - it's what really impresses me, I can carry nearly double the weight in the the EH compared to the Heli, and it feels like a lighter load.

There's a ton of room - I'm usually riding with skins, shovel, probe, food, second layer, helmet (while skinning). There's plenty room for a thermarest and sleeping bag in there - in the main compartment. The top is convertible if you need more room, probably adding on an extra 5L or so, maybe more. There's room in the top flap for wet skins, and underneath that (opening the flap up to the main compartment) there's another pocket that will fit some food, first aid kit, or something smaller.

The only gripe I have about this pack is that it's advertised as having super wide straps on the side for ski carry. Not the case. My Rossi S3s with 124 being the widest point, is super tight to get in - I figured that EH would at least tell Deuter that he had plans for fatter skis than the generation that came out when this pack was released (black topsheet EHP I do believe).

The smaller version of the EH, called the Edge, has a nice zipper on the backplate allowing access to the main compartment without having to take the pack off. As in - you remove the shoulder straps, leave the waist buckled, spin the pack to your front, undo the zipper, and there's access to the main compartment. I wish the larger version had that, but it's a different pack. Smaller is a panel pack, the large being a top load.

Hope this helps.

I have the women's Deuter freerider 28 Sl. I love it, it's one of my favorite packs I've ever had. It is made to fit women very well. I can have it fully weighted and not have sore shoulders/back after using it a full day. I love the pockets and ski carry on it too.

Also, I agree with Shirk that Deuters are made to carry way bigger skis. This is one reason I won't even consider an Ortovox pack. I don't really want my slalom skis on powder days. Ortovox is a little too Euro style.

i have a ortovox 28+ and it would easily fit my lotus 138's...
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I'm impressed with the quality of both manufacturer's packs. They just don't make the style I prefer in the size I prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

My girlfriends got a deuter act lite 50+10 and she loves it. Good fit and seems to have a really quality build. It was the only pack she could find (out of basically all the major companies) that was comfortable under a heavy load.