Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Do any of you have any experience with Ugartechea?
    From a practical standpoint that third shot is nice to have, but I love the simplicity of break actions.

Bro just sent me a phone pic of a Purdey 10 gauge SxS double rifle, circa 1885, takes slugs and the bbls are fully rifled. Said it weighs about 15lbs and is really short. KABOOM.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    Bro just sent me a phone pic of a Purdey 10 gauge SxS double rifle, circa 1885, takes slugs and the bbls are fully rifled. Said it weighs about 15lbs and is really short. KABOOM.
    Doh --- Elephant gun?

Elephant or whatever gets in the way of a whole bunch o lead.

Can't remember how to load pics...

That's what I need- big old slug gun. Mostly trying to shoot pigs around here. I might even go back to my black powder roots.

In my experience a 20 gauge is great for early season pheasants but when they get spooky in the late season a 12 gauge is a must.
    As mentioned, Binelli Super Black Eagle is as legit as they come but not double barrel. Never had much luck w/ my dad's Browning Citori 12 gauge and my father-in-law bought a Ruger Red Label 28 gauge for my son, had it out shooting clay's this last weekend and its a nice little gun, worth a look.

Remington 870 or 1100. Cant lose.

Helldawg Guest
    If you are a chick, or a small emo kid, get a 20 ga.

If you are a full sized dude, go 12 ga.

The only real benefits of a 20 are a slightly smaller gun, and less recoil. Oh, and potentially less damage to frail gamebirds at closer ranges.

I don't mind carrying an extra pound, and the recoil of a 12 gauge has never really bothered me (ok, 3" mag extra heavy turkey loads can smart a bit), so why not keep the power and versatility of the 12?

I have no real experience with side by sides vs. over unders, so no real help from me on that choice. The s/s evokes a bit of nostalgia to me, and is somewhat appealing visually. But the O/U look appeals to me more, and seems to make more sense functionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Helldawg View Post

The only real benefits of a 20 are a slightly smaller gun, and less recoil. Oh, and potentially less damage to frail gamebirds at closer ranges.
    Add lighter weight, which generally means a quicker swing, and you've got several good reasons for using a 20 ga. especially in tight cover such as an alder thicket when hunting ruffed grouse and woodcock. That said if the gun doesn't fit then it doesn't matter what gauge is chosen.

If my 20 ga. fit as well as my 12 ga. O/U I'd probably use it more when grouse hunting.

On the flip side if killing the bird is not that important then a blank pistol and camera is the way to go. You will still get the good bird work from your dog and hopefully some cool pictures or videos.

Buy the gun that fits. That said - good advice in here about buying the best you can afford and having a duck gun. In my experience that firearm has been used as a paddle, sat in water and stuffed in mud all across NA. You don't want your fancy double doing that. If you do go Beneilli - make sure you get a SS recoil spring in the stock and just go ahead and drill a hole in the stock to drain the water as well.

YMMV

You know what the best thing about buying a gun is if you don't like it you can always sell it for fairly close to what you bought it for and get another one. There is no such thing as a best gun. The more experienced you get shooting will figure out what you like.
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    My Grandpappy had a punt gun from back in the bad ol' days. It wasn't anywhere near as long as that one (you had to fit it in the skiff). I hadn't seen it since I was in my early teens and when he died I looked all over for it, but to no avail.

Helldawg Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Add lighter weight, which generally means a quicker swing, and you've got several good reasons for using a 20 ga. especially in tight cover such as an alder thicket when hunting ruffed grouse and woodcock. That said if the gun doesn't fit then it doesn't matter what gauge is chosen.

If my 20 ga. fit as well as my 12 ga. O/U I'd probably use it more when grouse hunting.

On the flip side if killing the bird is not that important then a blank pistol and camera is the way to go. You will still get the good bird work from your dog and hopefully some cool pictures or videos.
    Smaller gun implies lighter weight, didn't think I needed to spell that out.

Totally agree that in typical grouse cover, a light 20 would be $$$. But the OP did not indicate that he was looking for a "niche" gun, but rather something more multi-purpose, and geared toward Pheasant and larger birds (like geese and turkey, I'm guessing). Not too many serious waterfowlers, and pretty much NO turkey hunters, are rocking the 20.

I simply disagree but I do understand.

It's like flyfishing--why do it when you could be throwing out baited hooks and catch more fish with a $30 Walmart rod?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    It's like flyfishing--why do it when you could be throwing out baited hooks and catch more fish with a $30 Walmart rod?
    I won't speak for the rest of the flysnobs here, but IMO you catch more with flies than with worms and Walmart rods. I wish to hell I could legally hunt turkeys with a high-powered rifle. To me, laying up wth my varmint rifle and blowing a turk's head off at 200 yards* is far easier than trying to call those bastards in close.

As long as I'm taking up space here I may as well suggest a Remington 870. Keep in mind that I really don't get into shotguns and am extremely utilitarian when it comes to the subject.

*Theoretically speaking, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    That's what I need- big old slug gun. Mostly trying to shoot pigs around here. I might even go back to my black powder roots.
    You want a saiga 12, seriously, they're a GREAT buy right now.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Went out and shot for awhile today and had the privilege of shooting the Benelli Super Black Eagle. It's unreal how smooth that gun is, and the absorbers in the stock are a creative touch.

I also put quite a few rounds through a new Huglu s/s and an old Stephens 311, both of which belong to my uncle. The guy is a s/s nut and a big reason why I have such an affinity for that style.

The Benelli is an exceptional gun, but I don't do enough waterfowl hunting right now to justify owning one right now. Moreover, I am really drawn to the simplicity of a break action and really like the way it feels in my hands. Of the three guns I shot today, the Huglu actually fit the best.

Great! Glad you liked it. The Benelli Super Black Eagle IS a slick gun for sure. I have a few shotguns, and what it often boils down to for me is cost vs. enjoyment. I have buddies with cheap Mossberg pumps that you can buy at Walmart for like $180, and they down more birds any given day than our friends with the $3000+ semi-auto Brownings. Sure, the Mossbergs are rattly, cheap, almost disposable guns, but we've enjoyed many seasons with them.

As others have stated here, the finish isn't as good on the cheaper guns, BUT if you properly maintain your guns, clean and oil them after every hunt, my bet is they'll last just as long.

Last year, I finally ponied up the bucks for my dream gun, a decked out AR-15 rifle with a night-vision attachment, a great scope, and a couple extra 30-round clips. Guess what? I haven't shot crap with it! Why? Nothing having to do with the gun, it shoots great, but because I haven't seen one freaking animal since I bought it. Luck of the draw. My dad, however, on the other side of the property shot a beautiful buck with his el-cheapo 30.06 rifle that he beats up, has probably never cleaned, and pretty much doesn't care about.

So, the moral of the story is that you can often enjoy cheap guns every bit as much as the fancy, expensive guns. It just depends on how much action it gets to see.

What kind of night vision did you put on your AR?
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

I wish 16 Gauge was a bit more common - I've got a pump-action 16 from my Grandfather (RIP, passed the day after Christmas) that I absolutely love - it's the perfect pheasant gun for me, and fits me very well. Shells are a bit harder to find and more expensive. Not a big deal for actual hunting, as I don't go through that many shells on a pheasant hunt - it's more when you want to go shoot clays and it costs you 10 or 12 bucks a box as opposed to $4 for 12 gauge target loads (they are always on sale around here). By the time you pay for clays and shells, the $$ go pretty quick. It's seemingly the perfect upland gauge though.

Re the 12 vs. 20 argument - I originally wanted a 20 ga o/u for pheasant, but a friend of mine who has hunted for a long time and is an ace shot put it this way:

Yes, we fish for trout with flies, and it's 'purist', and we might (or might not) catch less fish doing it, though it's very 'sporting.'

The difference is, when you're hunting pheasants with a 20 gauge, even when you are a good shot, the chances of sending a wounded bird off to die because you didn't knock it down are greater A lot? A little? I don't know. Hunting is about the kill, there is no catch-and-release, so use the gauge that facilitates that.

I'm not knocking anyone who uses a 20 ga for upland or anything like that - my hunting experience is limited, and I thought the way my buddy put it made sense to me.

Once again, I don't really see the fascination with guns.
    Yes, I have a few, and I've lived with guns my whole life.
    My shotgun is a stevens side-by-side 20 gauge. It's a family heirloom that my Dad gave me when I was 14. It gets the job done.
    I think hunting pheasants, even with my 20 gauge is far too easy. The only other shotgun I'll ever buy is maybe a .410 to add some challenge.
    IMO, a shotgun is a shotgun, only differing with gauge, weight, loading.

If you want a challenge get away from the ditch chickens and hunt the king of game birds, ruffed grouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    If you want a challenge get away from the ditch chickens and hunt the king of game birds, ruffed grouse.
    lol@ "ditch chickens"...hahaha

Never hunted Ruffed Grouse. More difficult to hunt than Chukar?

Blurred deep fries ditch chickens daily at BK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.