Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1172
    Wow that is pretty f**cked

I think part of the problem with the metal parts, is that they all appear to be CNC machined. Dynafit and G3 ION parts are or appear to be forged, which will make for stronger parts.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    I agree this thread is spooky. I take some small amount of solace (although not much anymore) in the fact that my Plum toes have the black wings, and I know plenty of folks haven't had any issues. Mine have held up so far.

Every failure of the toes on here I've seen is with the old silver wings
    A toe pin cracked on my black wing guides. Pictures earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanwillie View Post
    Ahh yes, missed that one. Any others out there?

Got a shipment from France today with new heel pieces. They look like the latest design with the modified base that has a cutout for the optional heel stomp pad when flat touring. Once I got a response from Plum, they were actually very friendly and no questions asked about the replacements.

I think I'm going to still use my Dukes for 90% of the terrain I ski, but on those long ski cabin tours or easy backcountry days, I might chance it and put the plums on and just be cognizant to not put myself into any high risk terrain with them on. I'll probably re-evaluate this next year once some of the newer tech bindings have been on the market longer.

Quote Originally Posted by stizzmt View Post
    Attachment 161125

Well, first day out for the third or fourth season on my Plum Guides. Spent half the day in the backcountry, then back on area carving turns and the toe failed. Thought I would add to this thread. Luckily it was flat and soft so I just skidded to a halt.
    I was going to post a photo of my toe piece failure, but it is EXACTLY like this one. I hit one of those gully rollers a little backseat, ski popped off, seemed like a normal release until I noticed that it just broke instead.

Hoping to warranty, but this thread really has me thinking twice.....

^ I have no experience with the American distributor but after following this thread it seems like thats not the way to go. Contact Plum in France directly.

What generation of plum were the exploded heels from??

I was dealing with Plum France directly for both my interactions. It seems like they only have one person in their office that is able to communicate in English, which may be part of the problem.

I had the original generation from the group buy in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by stizzmt View Post
    Attachment 161125

Well, first day out for the third or fourth season on my Plum Guides. Spent half the day in the backcountry, then back on area carving turns and the toe failed. Thought I would add to this thread. Luckily it was flat and soft so I just skidded to a halt.
    So here's an update: I contacted Plum in France, I have an email address I'd be happy to share. After a couple days I was told that I could pick up new toes from skimo.com for $164 each. After considering this option I wrote back to the gentleman at Plum and politely expressed my dissatisfaction with this response. I told him I realized my bindings were out of warranty but as this seems to be a recurring problem I thought he could do better than his original offer. A day later he told me he would, this one time, sell me a pair of toes for 153 euro ($195), and ship them for "free." I took this as the best option and proceeded with payment, my toes arrived a week later.

I've since purchased a speed radical and I've installed two inserts to accommodate the new pattern. I'm gonna continue to use the heels, because as far as I can tell, the heels have about the same propensity to explode as a radical heel. I've decided to have my girlfriend use the Plum toes, she is light and not going to be taking them anywhere serious, and she can use the radical heels.

The guy at Plum seems somewhat eager to help and to address the problems, but I also work at a shop and he wants us to carry his product again, we did for two years. Without a US distributor and more time to see if they've resolved their issues we will be sticking with tried and true dynafit.

Scary reading here with the Chrome toe failures. I have had the black toes and have been both in and out of bounds with no failures (knock on wood). Has anyone seen a failure with the black?

Think there was one report of a pin breaking on a toe piece with the black wings further back in the thread but doesn't seem to be any other reports. It wasn't a failure of the wing as well it was a pin that split or something. Im in the same position, have done a few season on the black wing model, almost replaced them recently due to this thread but decided to stick with them. I think if anyone on here had had a failure with the new ones they would be pretty quick to report it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kootenai View Post
    Scary reading here with the Chrome toe failures. I have had the black toes and have been both in and out of bounds with no failures (knock on wood). Has anyone seen a failure with the black?
    Quote Originally Posted by wildmanwillie View Post
    Seems like the black toe wings have a lower failure rate, but are not immune.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Thread Reseurection
    OK ya'll
    So i was gonna buy some Plum Guides last fall for my new voile's but after reading this thread as well as other sources i got pretty gunshy about the toepiece breakages. Ended up getting the Frankenbinding setup of Speed Rad toes and Plum Guide heels. Totally happy with this setup but would prefer to just buy a complete binding. I'm gonna have a couple new skis in the quiver to play with, so revisiting binding options. Really hate the Dynafit Radical heels. So who is still using the Plum toepieces and how do you feel about them? Figure another year would maybe bring a few more of the potential kinks out of the woodwork.

Again, i'm pretty happy with the mixed frankentech setup, so if the general consensus is that the Plum toes still suck or are just questionable i'll just stick with that.

A little about me i guess. 6'4" 210lbs. Touring only. I like bigger skis for sure and plan on epoxying all my mounts. Reformed hucker. I've used several tech bindings so know what that's all about.

Bump to top.
    Come on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Giant View Post
    Thread Reseurection
    OK ya'll
    So i was gonna buy some Plum Guides last fall for my new voile's but after reading this thread as well as other sources i got pretty gunshy about the toepiece breakages. Ended up getting the Frankenbinding setup of Speed Rad toes and Plum Guide heels. Totally happy with this setup but would prefer to just buy a complete binding. I'm gonna have a couple new skis in the quiver to play with, so revisiting binding options. Really hate the Dynafit Radical heels. So who is still using the Plum toepieces and how do you feel about them? Figure another year would maybe bring a few more of the potential kinks out of the woodwork.

Again, i'm pretty happy with the mixed frankentech setup, so if the general consensus is that the Plum toes still suck or are just questionable i'll just stick with that.

A little about me i guess. 6'4" 210lbs. Touring only. I like bigger skis for sure and plan on epoxying all my mounts. Reformed hucker. I've used several tech bindings so know what that's all about.
    I have first gen (or third or whatever) before they went to black toe wings - mine are just the CNC'd aluminum. No problems. However, a friend who turned me on to them experienced the classic inexplicable crack in the toe wings in the same early iteration. If you can go black (toe wings), you won't go back.
    sproing!

I seem to have lost one of my heel stomp pads (this thing - http://www.fixation-plum.com/en/prod...i-talon-guide/). Anyone have a spare, or willing to sell me a pair?

Also, lots of great deals on clearance, including on the j'envoie du gros http://www.fixation-plum.com/collection/ski/destockage/
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post

The parallel marks at the upper left near the heel pin, maybe also those at top center and at lower right near the RV screw, look like fatigue "beach marks," indicating where a crack started and then propagated under load cycles. The irregular marks at the top rear may have come from the final failure - that may have been the last region to let go during the catastrophic failure. These are are guesses on my part as I'm not a metallurgist, or plasticalurgist.

I would guess that it had already started to crack at least at the upper part near the pin, but it might have been difficult to find that by visual inspection.

For more info on beach marks see for example:
    http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-009/000.html
    http://www.sv.vt.edu/classes/MSE2094...y/fatigue.html
    and google "fatigue failure beach mark" and "fatigue failure ratchet mark."

Pffffff... You should have seen the pair Lynchdogger broke a couple years back! He snapped the whole heel off at the metal mast right above the adjustment plate (think 'flush with the top of the screw face') . Literally both full heel units flew off down the mountain. Never saw anything like that.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

So after 4 years of abuse by me, and a year by the previous owner I have joined the plum failure club... but I also just bought a new pair. I ended up with two cracked screw holes on one toe piece; well really one then I continued to ski them and now two. I would post a picture but the process if fucking ridiculous and the goddamn "stash" is a blank fucking page.

I am not entirely sure if over torquing the bindings into inserts was a contributor to the cracks or if fatigue from touring (and occasional hill riding) on wider skis played a part (I am probably 200-215 geared up with a pack and the bindings have been on Protests, Rx's and Fat Bros) .
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

Joining the happy group with a catastrophic silver toe wing failure. YAY!
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    Joining the happy group with a catastrophic silver toe wing failure. YAY!
    Damn that blows. I need to get a backup toe piece just in case. Post up if you find a source for replacement vertical toe pieces. I know Plum has replacement toe pieces, but damned if I'm giving them more of my money.

Where in SF? I'm at Divis and Golden Gate.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Damn that blows. I need to get a backup toe piece just in case. Post up if you find a source for replacement vertical toe pieces. I know Plum has replacement toe pieces, but damned if I'm giving them more of my money.

Where in SF? I'm at Divis and Golden Gate.
    Skimo.co has you covered.

Plum now has redesigned stoppers for the Guide. They replace the entire heel base making for a solid set up. Depending on your boot sole thickness they will also act a serviceable stomp pad if the pins flex down. They are nice to have, and stop the ski well. However, two gripes - 1) no lateral retraction means they stick out quite far even when reasonable sized for the ski 2) They occasionally come unlatched when used in flat-tour mode (the repetitive banging works the latch free), and I usually don't notice immediately because i'm not staring at my feet.
    Having said that, I will be keeping them, as I hate the way leashes make every run a soft 'no-fall zone'.

Edit: Also, I bought the Yak toe plates and fitted them to my guides to reduce ramp angle and have a more reliable set up than the old cut up plastic chopping boards. Very happy there...

Here is the only pic I have of them, on Down YW8102 s x'd on the summit of Mt Blanc this spring Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02697.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	692.1 KB 
ID:	187963
    And proof my black toe wings from 2013 are still going strong on the 60+˚ Mönch W (edit: NE) face this July. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4269.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	517.6 KB 
ID:	187964
    Last edited by Tutuko; 09-23-2016 at 12:41 PM.

wow, what route on the Mönch west face did you ski?

Oops! (northish) East face! Sorry, I'm from NZ...