Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Plum guide tech binding

A video review of the Plum Guide Tech compatible binding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyjbS3x2d6c - Felisaz Plum Guide Tech Binding

You can get English subtitles by clicking on the CC button on the bottom right. I've got a pair on long term test for this season.
    Last edited by davidof; 12-27-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Formidable! Merci, David! Mais, les couteaux pour telemark?

beh, je ne sais pas (shrugs gallicly), I have never freed my heel so couldn't say? Don't they use couteau when climbing?

No news about plum ski-stoppers?
    Really dig the weight on the Guide, but think that I will hold on to the FT12 until the guide sports a stopper (and maybe been threw a bit of field testing...)

Brakes won't be available until the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by Moralkaka View Post
    No news about plum ski-stoppers?
    In the spring, at least on this side of the pond. I like the ATK stoppers, a very Mecano kind of setup.

Sound great, any clue as to what the weight penalty will be on those?
    I'm thinking The Stoke 191 + Plum Guide to replace the 182 + FT12 with almost no added weight...

So because of the European weather, my bindings have experienced a diversion through . . . Qatar?!?
    But now in Belgium, which would seem to be progress -- supposed to arrive Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    supposed to arrive Tuesday.
    Finally! Let us know, excited to hear your report.

Looks gorgeous. Going to be expensive methinks...

Quote Originally Posted by johngenx View Post
    Pretty much in-line with the Dynafit FT12 (for anyone buying the FT12 for the release settings and then ditching the brakes):

http://www.escaperoute.ca/Plum-Guide...ng_p_3363.html
    http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...45524442631202

http://www.fixation-plum.com/detail-...p?idproduit=30
    http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/en/...11-p-6158.html

Which of course is still not cheap...

$399 Euros. Not bad. I am more curious about what they are bringing to the table besides exploiting an expired patent.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post
    I am more curious about what they are bringing to the table besides exploiting an expired patent.
    Of Dynafit's four competitors (G3 Onyx/Ruby, La Sportiva / ATK RT, Plum Guide, Trab TR2), the Plum Guide is definitely the most similar to Dynafit, essentially offering the release values of the FT12 at the weight of the Speed but with the fore/aft adjustment range in between the Vertical and the Onyx/Ruby:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/3739/plum-bi...ountry-skiing/
    The design also prevents a few obscure Dynafit breakage points, although then again, who knows what obscure Guide breakage points might await.
    I think the biggest question mark will be release/retention characteristics, especially with the toe springs, which Dynafit has recently strengthened slightly on the FT12 110mm brake version, and which G3 has claimed are much stronger on its Onyx.
    Although I'm prepared to be [very] impressed on Tuesday, I think any sort of final judgement will have to wait until lots of different skiers have skied the binding on lots of different terrain on lots of different setups on lots of different days...

Yeah, good points. Looking forward to your examination.

I think the FT12 solved my only issue with the Comforts, which was minor (glove-handed struggles with the toepiece lever.)

A greater range of adjustability would be nice for those once a year occasions when someone wants to borrow a pair of my skis and can't make it work because of my big feets. Not a big deal for me, though.

Otherwise, I think the FT12 is the perfect binding for me. Although I'm pretty sure I posted in this forum about three years ago they were a dumb idea, so what do I know? Maybe I will grab a pair of Plums for kicks and play with them.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

$620 Canuck-bucks is not cheap, but not as bad as I thought. I'd figured $700-ish. It looks very similar to the Dynafit, but the metal climbing riser seems pretty cool. I think Dynafit did an amazing job while they had patent protection, but I think the competition will be good for skiers. My only real concern is that without standards, we might be seeing more Salomon type of goofs, both in boots and perhaps bindings.

Are we coming to the day we ski on a pair of bindings that adjust 4 modo sizes, release with precision, tour amazing well, are indestructible, and weigh 400g a pair?

Here is a shortish video on fitting the Plum Guide S

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMkGxN8kdj4"]YouTube - Felisaz Plum Guide S[/nomedia]

Main plus points:-
    better DIN to Weight ratio than the Dynafits
    Gets rid of the crappy breakable plastic like the crampon holder and locking lever
    ISO/DIN certified release

Negatives?
    Cost of course
    Only 3 years of production history for Felisaz for this range of binding with a big update for this season.
    No ski brake until the end of the season

My only real concern is that without standards, we might be seeing more Salomon type of goofs, both in boots and perhaps bindings.
    There is a Tuv (DIN) standard for rando binding release. I think the Plum Guide is the only tech compatible binding that has gone through this process though.

Quote Originally Posted by davidof View Post
    Here is a shortish video on fitting the Plum Guide S
    Thanks, davidof! I've followed your website for years, it's always a great resource for checking on the latest from Europe. Nice to finally see what you look like!

I've used them on two outings so far. The only minor quibble I have is that only about half the time does the toe lever automatically go into tour mode. But that could be on account of the two feet of fresh snow. During several trial click-ins on a relatively firm surface indoors, the binding always went straight into tour mode. (And of course my Plum race toe levers always go into tour mode because, well, there is no other mode...) Otherwise, as expected, seems to be the release settings of the FT12 but with the weight of the Speed, and w/o any of the bs connector thing of the FT12.

Can you twist from tour->ski mo without getting out? how about switching elevation settings compared to the verticals?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Can you twist from tour->ski mo without getting out? how about switching elevation settings compared to the verticals?
    1. Yes, although I think you meant to ask that the other way around (in which I have no intention of finding out, but I can't see why it wouldn't work, and if anything the construction is probably more durable for that kidn of abuse).
    2. Essentially the same, although the heel riser offers four different pole insertion points, so even more options there.
    (Detailed review on WildSnow next week...)

You're the man, Jonathan. Nice to be able to experience this vicariously, given my current employment status . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Nice to be able to experience this vicariously, given my current employment status . . .
    Just write over that unemployment check to Escape Route or directly to Plum:
    http://www.wildsnow.com/3987/plum-guide-review-binding/

STOKED. Putting mine on Pollard's Opus

Any word on brakes?