Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Well that's fine in the animal kingdom but it's also fine to kill your sexual competitor in the animal kingdom. I'm all for personal responibility but we're human beings, we've evolved a higher set of moral and legal standards than that. Besides, obviously evolution has ceased to be a factor for our race, look at DBS.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Wow. That's terrible. Not the way to spend the holiday

Is there more info available about this . I could see the kid dying from the collision but the adult as well? He had to be going 60 miles an hour to hit that hard. It makes me shudder to think about it.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

There used to be a Public Service Announcement ( Free ads given to the Gov't by the networks- Whatever happened to those?) that spoke of the rules of the road with the tag line "You could be right, dead right". I'd wager that even fewer skiers know the Skier Responsibility Code than know the rules of the road. And that's damn few. I ski inbounds with my head on a swivel.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I ski inbounds with my head on a swivel.
    I didn't read the story, but I am very sorry to have gotten the jeist of it. My head is always on a swivel in a resort as people are always flying all over the place. Really a sad think to hear. Vibes to the families.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Prayers go out to all. No sport is worth seeing someone die. Be it an innocent 5 yr old at a ski resort or a 6 yr old getting hit by a hockey puck at an NHL game (that is why they have nets at the ends of the rinks now).

As far as that Breck roller or any roller; use a spotter because if you hit someone, you will be charged criminally if someone is hurt bad. I know the boarder who hit the mother and child in WY didn't mean to hurt anyone but had he survived, he would have at the least been investigated for the death of the child.

But blame is not the solution to this tragedy, it is education of all: the parents; the kids; the skiers; and the snowboarders. Skiing or boarding in bounds has risks but those need to be managed.

Some really dumb shit gets said in these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by G View Post
    Actually, you do.

It sucks, and life is harsh, but natural selection does not give out free passes for innocent ignorance.
    Fuck yeah, when I see some kid wreck in a bad spot I try to kill them when I get the chance. Survival of the fittest.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

From above :

durangotang
    Registered User Join Date: Mar 2008

wow, I was just talking about stuff like this with my family over christmas dinner. We were talking about this awesome groomer under the colorado super chair at breck. it has a sweet roller where you can probably go 40 feet - totally blind though. everytime i hit it I hold my breath hoping there's no one below (there shouldn't be but it still worries me).

bummed to read about stuff like this

end quote....................

You'll be really bummed if you kill some little kid while "holding your breath" and hoping.
    How about find a safe place to be "Rad" not a groomer

What a terrible accident. No comments because I do not know what happened. When I can't see ahead then I slow down. When I do see other ppl especially children I slow down. Respect, courtesy, safety.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by durangotang View Post
    wow, I was just talking about stuff like this with my family over christmas dinner. We were talking about this awesome groomer under the colorado super chair at breck. it has a sweet roller where you can probably go 40 feet - totally blind though. everytime i hit it I hold my breath hoping there's no one below (there shouldn't be but it still worries me).
    You realize, don't you, that only assholes hit jumps blind like that?

Instead of attacking each other on this sad news. We should look out for each other. Some guy says he loves to hit rollers blind. Remind him nicely that it is our responsibility to look out for others below. Use a spotter. If a parent has a kid down in a blind spot, give them a hand or stop up top to block others from taking them out. Sure somebody might do something stupid in front of you but it is our collective fault if we can't react safely or refuse to help people out of a dangerous situation.

Peace,

LBK

Quote Originally Posted by longboardkook View Post
    Instead of attacking each other on this sad news. We should look out for each other. Some guy says he loves to hit rollers blind. Remind him nicely that it is our responsibility to look out for others below. Use a spotter. If a parent has a kid down in a blind spot, give them a hand or stop up top to block others from taking them out. Sure somebody might do something stupid in front of you but it is our collective fault if we can't react safely or refuse to help people out of a dangerous situation.

Peace,

LBK
    Most important part of flying over rollers. I just simply will not do it without a spotter. The chances of nailing someone are simply way too high.

Was a shame about the two of them.
    Isocrates: “Democracy destroys itself because it abuses its right to freedom and equality. Because it teaches its citizens to consider audacity as a right, lawlessness as a freedom, abrasive speech as equality, and anarchy as progress.”

Quote Originally Posted by PowderBunny View Post
    Most important part of flying over rollers. I just simply will not do it without a spotter. The chances of nailing someone are simply way too high.

Was a shame about the two of them.
    And as MD9 can tell you, use a a good spotter you trust.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by uli View Post

The one about starting again on a slope is 99% of the time not followed. People are fucking assholes about it, going sideways without looking back before starting again. They think it is their right to do what they want. Especially people with kids. While a person behind is of course responsible for over taking,even a stopped person, the person starting again is the most responsible to LOOK BACK UPHILL when starting sideways on a slope.

Also, dumb fucks who dead stop on a catrack are another brand of some of the worst humans on the planet.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    The one about starting again on a slope is 99% of the time not followed. People are fucking assholes about it, going sideways without looking back before starting again. They think it is their right to do what they want. Especially people with kids. While a person behind is of course responsible for over taking,even a stopped person, the person starting again is the most responsible to LOOK BACK UPHILL when starting sideways on a slope.

Also, dumb fucks who dead stop on a catrack are another brand of some of the worst humans on the planet.

But, dude, Joe Strummer's five year old is fucking rad. They can stop wherever they want. Fuck you if you can't see them and you hit them, it's your fault.

Hugh Conway Guest

Thumbs up

2010 Stoke Thread

Hugh = my new sarcasm hero

Vibes to both families of the victims involved.
    It's a sad, sad story regardless of how it went down.

Quote Originally Posted by durangotang View Post

bummed to read about stuff like this
    Launching a 40 ft totally blind roller is what kills people.

If people didn't jump to conclusions and start being butthurt it wouldn't be TGR, would it?

Vibes to both families.

Quote Originally Posted by tomas tequila View Post
    Launching a 40 ft totally blind roller is what kills people.
    People dont kill people. Forty foot blind rollers kill people.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Just want to make clear my post is not about this specific incident, it was in response to Joe Strummers Fuck You post.

I don't think that"s 100% accurate.

A skier that stops in a blind spot is violating the responsibility code, and therefore shares in some of the responsibility for the collision, if there is one.

FIFY
    Rule #1 is SKI IN CONTROL.

This was avoidable.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I will start a thread on OOC riders on the hill elsewhere, but in this case--as in most others--the issue is the riding behavior not the riding device!

I was on the chairlift right above this right when it happened... It was a case of everybody was in the wrong.
    The run is a massive groomer on most resorts it would be a blue, think buddies run at steamboat. In the middle of the run there is a little bit of wave, just enough to make visibility hard.
    I'm guilty of making speed runs down. Its a great run to get comfortable with speed and its the race hill so everybody goes fast down it. This boarder tho was extreme on the limits. When I am skiing the run I tend to make a speed check at the rollers. Unless its closed for a race I am always carefull on these rollers.
    So the mom and kid were moving down the run, struggling but not completely out of their league. As they were coming over one of the small waves in the middle of the run the kid had a problem and the mom stopped and the kid slid into her. Just then the boarder came in, jets open, tucked and straightlining it. I'd say pushing 40-50 mph when he hit the breakover. He turned but there was no way he could make it. They hit, everybody ragdolled and were lights out instantly.
    Everybody yelled up the lift to get ski patrol.... So by that time we got to the top of the lift. The ski patrol were headed down and everybody was in a fluster. We decided to take another run. On the ride back up there was a full on triage scene. CPR on all three people, the boarder got defibed a couple of times. As they were pulling the kid away they were calling for suction. Sounds like they all died at the hospital with some serious internal injuries.
    So its a terrible case of both groups were both in the wrong. the boarder riding at his limits not very in control and the mom and kid stopped at a bad spot in the run....

just my thoughts on the sitch... It was a bad day on the ski hill...