2011 184 Fat-ypus D-Sender Review

I bought the D-Sender this year as my 1-ski quiver, and after two days skiing a multitude of conditions, I feel it's time for a review. In short: I love them.

My Stats-
    5'9''
    145lbs
    Ski Aggressively and will be entering in a big mountain comp this year
    I ski Crystal Mountain
    Was on the 168cm Volkl Gotama last few seasons

184cm Fat-ypus D-Sender
    144-112-130
    8 lbs
    25.0m Turn Radius
    Mounted with Dynastar PXXXL 14 Binding
    Has Moderate Tip and Tail Rocker

Groomed
    The D-Sender held up very well on groomed runs, without tip or tail flap. It was very stable throughout, and I only felt somewhat of a speed limit on very icy slopes. It carves well, and gives the option of slarving as well.

Powder
    I love the D-Sender in pow! There isn't really a speed limit, and it floats like a beast! Any type of turn is possible. Nuff said.

Heavy Powder
    Yay I love Cascade Concrete! Not. However, in this tricky snow condition, the D-Sender powers through it well, better at higher speeds. With this ski, fast is the way to go.

Cliffs
    The D-Sender descends cliffs like a boss. It's forgiving, so slight backseat (SLIGHT) landings don't kill you. But centered is better. So far I've stomped 20 feet without serious problems.

Crud
    Again, the D-Sender does better faster, but can handle all of the beautiful crud Crystal Mountain has to offer with ease. This is where the D-Sender's rocker becomes very helpful, and I was really impressed.

Tricks
    I wouldn't call this a freestyle ski by any means, but its a quite light ski, so 180s off little bumps is no problem. I've also experimented skiing switch, which the D-Sender does quite easily.

All in all this is an excellent charging ski, with a forgiving playful side. Compared to other skis i've tried, it's a blend of Blizzard's The Answer and Volkl's Katana, with a hint of the Atomic Blog's pop and playfulness. Quite the perfect combination. And the topsheet has a narwal. I really recommend it!

To see some pictures, check out http://williamrichmondski.blogspot.c...-d-sender.html
    Last edited by skibum93; 12-24-2010 at 08:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Mounting Position

Bumping an ancient thread so I don't have to make a new one. Picked up a pair of 2016 194 D-Senders and trying to find some opinions on mounting position. Stick with rec. or have folks had better results mounting elsewhere? Going to be using these in WY, CO, MT, UT for more "aggressive" skiing. Shot Jared an email asking his opinion and wanted to see if anyone else had one. Haven't had great luck finding any recent info on the rocker D-Senders on the web. Thanks for any help!

Amazing how they've been basically the same ski forever. I should really get on a pair. And $390? Fak.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Amazing how they've been basically the same ski forever. I should really get on a pair. And $390? Fak.
    Grab 'em up, $290 +free shipping US/CAN on nevergroomed!

Ha, I had the 2011 D-senders in 184 with the Dynastar clamps.

These were pre-rocker. Man did they love to charge. Had mine mounted on the line and would not have moved them.

I've a couple pair of allotas, pre and post rocker, both on the line and liked them very much there. Just for shits and giggles, since I got rid of the shit binders on the rockers, im going to move the mount up on em just for fun. I'm pretty positive I wouldn't want to do that with the Senders though, too chargey of a stick and Jared's recommended is closer to traditional than most indies, at least on those sticks, (allota, sender, Irock) no idea where his mounts recs are on the newer tapered stuff
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!