Good, Quick-Drying Backcountry Gloves?

My sheep-skin gloves, while generally admirable, aren't great in the backcountry. They absorb a lot of water, are slow to dry, and are bulky and heavy. So I'm looking for a glove with the following criteria:

(1) The gloves must do a decent job of both repelling water and drying quickly. This is key. The sheep-skin work gloves that I've been using suck in both regards. I want to be able to do multiple-day hut/tent trips with these things.

(2) I do 90% of my skinning with cheap-o work gloves, even in cold weather, and usually change to my downhill gloves at the top. So skinning performance isn't a big deal.

(3) I'm cheap and I lose gloves. So I'd prefer inexpensive gloves. They don't even have to be proper ski gloves. Whatever works.

(4) I prefer shorter gloves that don't ride too far up the forearm.

(5) I'll use the gloves on wet days inbounds as well.

Many thanks.

I use the OR vert gloves for touring. I carry a shell and light liner in my pack but rarely have to use either. They work 95% of the time just by themselves. They dry fairly quickly but most important is they never seem to get wet in the first place since they breath so well.

I've been using BD Guide gloves for about 4 years now. Not sure what your idea of expensive is, but they typically run over $100.

I really like these gloves because the shell is a nylon/leather mix which dries fast. On a soaker day, they are dry by the next day if I bring them inside and pull out the insert. The insert has a Gore-Tex liner to keep the insulating layer dry. I've had many days where the shell is completely soaked, but my hand is completely dry.

The only drawback is they are very warm. If I'm riding in 32+ degree weather and hitting it hard, my hands will sometimes start to sweat.
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

Roman has some cool Nitrile work gloves (thinner than Chilly Grips) he was wearing this weekend- He said he got them for $5 or something at the Ace Hardware in Truckee- You should ping him.
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

I do a lot of my skinning with Home Depot nitrile garden gloves, 3 pair for $5.99. Doesn't matter if they get wet; you just throw them in the wash afterward with your smelly polypro. They protect your hands from ice/blisters, run cool, weigh/cost almost nothing. Perfect in the spring, and usually suitable in the winter in the PNW (and, I suspect, Tahoe). Just be careful about getting them stuck on your skins!

For skiing I usually switch to Schoeller gloves (OR or BD), or if it's really cold BD or DaKine ski gloves - either way I buy them in the off-season online, usually through Dept. of Goods or STP.

Black Diamond has some liner/ lightweight gloves that are reasonably water-resistant, cheap, etc.

The ones I usually use are the liners from one of their 2-piece gloves. IIRC it's the "Patrol" model. I rarely bother putting on the outer gloves; the insides are warm enough for me. Take a look at them next time we're out.

Thanks, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Imz View Post
    Roman has some cool Nitrile work gloves (thinner than Chilly Grips) he was wearing this weekend- He said he got them for $5 or something at the Ace Hardware in Truckee- You should ping him.
    Roman is a copying copycat. I've been using those gloves for the last few years. They are sick most of the time. But they're not warm enough for the downhill when it's cold and/or windy.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Black Diamond has some liner/ lightweight gloves that are reasonably water-resistant, cheap, etc.

The ones I usually use are the liners from one of their 2-piece gloves. IIRC it's the "Patrol" model. I rarely bother putting on the outer gloves; the insides are warm enough for me. Take a look at them next time we're out.
    Patrol gloves are one piece.

I think you have the Guides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Patrol gloves are one piece.

I think you have the Guides.
    Could be... I have a couple pair of BD gloves.

I thought the Guide gloves were the thick ones, with a velcro-ed in liner (furry liner; uninsulated outer shell), and a big gauntlet cuff. I have a pair of those, which are my usual cold & stormy pow day gloves for in-bounds.

I looked at BD's website, and I can't tell which ones I have; they've changed models... mine are a couple of years old.

poc bug gloves are sick backcountry gloves. nice and thin, scholler back of hand, really nice pittards leather palm that does not wet or absorb.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    poc bug gloves are sick backcountry gloves. nice and thin, scholler back of hand, really nice pittards leather palm that does not wet or absorb.
    These look dope.

^^ any hints on where to buy the POC gloves - I don't recognize any of the online stores that list them on google.

another 2-piece BD glove is the prodigy, which I've rocked for a few years.
    Nice, burly mild to cold weather glove.
    I wear the one-piece BD patrol gloves on warmer days.
    Aggressive in my own mind

cheap shitty gloves with cheap REI overmitts is the way to go light and warm.