PC Video Nerds - Paging Kidwoo

Hey Gang.

Anyone working with anything simple and fairly cheap for the PC that will open MTS, allow editing and then export with something close to "broadcast quality" encoding?

I have a client with a Panasonic TM300 camcorder that saves out AVCHD MTS files. Client wants to use his PC to do some VERY simple editing to the files and then export a high level final format for upload to network television. No titles, no logos, no music, no cross dissolves. Just in point + out point and then export. The included Panasonic software is unbelievably lame for even simple editing and only exports AVCHD files.

The user is smart and can follow instructions but the software needs to be simple to help with speed. I was contemplating Quicktime Pro for windows but it won't open MTS files. Really trying to avoid a two step conversion process.

Any thoughts from the PC guys out there? Thanks in advance.

Sony Vegas HD platinum? $99. Free trial is available on their site too..

Mpeg streamclip is free, but I dunno if it works with MTS. Also, QT Pro might accept MTS with perian installed but I dunno. But if mpeg streamclip does work, go for it simce it is free.

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...m_combined.pdf

Give'er

I've used it. It works. It's free

EDIT: actually that thing is a little old. And if you don't have the capacity to work with P2 files it may not be much help.

There's a free app out there called format factory that is the shit. It literally can convert anything to anything. I use that when I get into something that's too render intensive for the high dollar programs I have. It's one of those things that is so good, it makes me want to buy hookers for the people who coded it. Try that too.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 12-13-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking Vegas might work but I need to check all the output capabilities. I'm downloading a demo now.