WTB: bomber mid-fat that can do it all.

lookin for 80-90mm waist, something that will do crud, bumps, groomers, and trees -- and isn't afraid of rocks. length between 180 and 190cm.

i'm 5'10", ~180 lbs. advanced.

lookin to pick up something for under $350....but i'll stretch for a good deal. I'm willing to eat more ramen if it means better sticks...

sell me something.

please.

I'm really hoping the mantis777 meets those criteria, it's reasonably stiff - 87 in the waist - 184cm - supposedly bomber bases and there seems to be lots of last years available. I just grabbed a brand new pair for <$500ca, so it should fit your price in US dollars.

Splat was selling his No Ka OI's (120-84-110) a little while back, but I don't know if he moved 'em or not. I think he was selling 'em for uner $$$, but I'm not sure....too lazy to search. They're 193's though, but I'm 5'9" 170 and absolutely love them.

These skis fuggin rip and the bases hold up to rocks better than any other ski I've been on (on par with an Iggy)
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

I second Tyronne's suggestion. The NKO's are bomber boards. Dense base, thick edges... etc.

I'm looking for something to complement my solly ak labs.

I'd heard the no ka oi's were pretty stiff... i'm a little bit worried about them being manageable in the bumps.

Otherwise if they're available I'd be interested, I did a search but didn't turn up splat's thread. the search function on the board leaves a little bit to be desired... (no, ka, and oi are all too small to be searched.)

keep it coming...i'm jonesing for new gear, i just don't know exactly what it is i want.

I'm still looking, but I've lowered my standards.

Thanks to those who pm'ed me..but none of those really fit the bill of what I'm looking for.

The ski doesn't have to be "bomber" anymore -- and the waist can be anywhere from 75 - 90.

They don't have to be great in pow -- just crud. I've already got pow sticks. Somethin that'll rail on groomers and not kick my ass in the bumps, too (read softish tail?).

I'd like a pair of those 777's...but I can't find a good deal on 'em. Also like the looks of the dynastar 8000/8800 -- but those are too new to be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by focus
    lookin for 80-90mm waist, something that will do crud, bumps, groomers, and trees
    When I first read this post, I thought, "Geez another skier wanting a beefy fat ski that does bumps well...yep those are in abundance..." Now that I have seen that you adjusted your parameters back to the realm of real and not make-believe, I think you might have hit with going Dynastar. Have you thought about an Intuitiv Big or Inspired? You ought to be able to score some under three-fiddy. I was thinking a V-Pro would fit the bill, too...I've owned those, but not the 777's, so no comment there.

Oh yeah...REI outlet has Volant Sins for $199 in 185-cm...Only 81-mm in the waist, but might be worth a looksy...
    Last edited by Bandit Man; 12-17-2004 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man
    When I first read this post, I thought, "Geez another skier wanting a beefy fat ski that does bumps well...yep those are in abundance..." Now that I have seen that you adjusted your parameters back to the realm of real and not make-believe
    I don't so much care about WELL....just OK.

Why not REX? Ski universe is selling some used demos on ebay. They are going for $250-$300ish wsolly 912ti's. Just bought a set
    "Don't tease me about my hobbies, I don't tease you about being an asshole"

A ski that is good in crud and in bumps? Come on, let's be serious. IMO, a ski that works well in crud has to be at least somewhat stiff, and the stiffer the better. For a ski to be a good bump ski, the softer the better. A particular Rolling Stones song comes to mind, "you can always get what you want..."

Just posted my HEAD Monster iM75's with Tyrolia LD12 binders for $350 here on the board:
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21839
    Last edited by powderboy; 12-17-2004 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    These skis fuggin rip and the bases hold up to rocks better than any other ski I've been on (on par with an Iggy)
    I blew one up on day 2. If you like to be on edge all the time those NKO's rule and will lay trenches. On the other hand, if you like to go straight and fast they feel way unstable because of the massive sidecut. At least thats what I thaught after two days on them.
    Last edited by powderwhore; 12-19-2004 at 08:45 PM.