Lhasa 186 on hardpack question....

I know I'll probably get jonged up for asking this, and I figure my tendency to ski a little back seat is probably the issue, but I'll ask anyways...I had my new 186 Lhasa's out today for the first time. They are blems w/ about 2 camber. Granted, it was only at Mount Snow so not the optimal conditions, but I couldnt stare at them any longer! Anyways, on the softer stuff to the sides of the trails, they were great as it let me shape turns any way I wanted. However on the hardpack mid trail condtions it seemed like I was fighting the skis, either they felt hooky towards the tip or didnt want to turn. Now, this is the first rockered/pintail type ski I've ever been on, and as I said I do tend to ski back seat a little...Is this most likely due to me just either being to forward or to back seat? I read that these should be skied with the focus on the area right in front of the boot...Trying to make this the year I really work on correcting my bad habits so any help is appreciated!

Get out of the backseat and you'll be fine...

I skied mine on everything including boilerplate at Jay. Just point them. If you feel they are not doing what you want, go faster. If you really want to correct your bad habits take a lesson form a real instructor.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

What were you skiing on before? Chances are the Lhasas have less sidecut. The straighter the ski, the more patient you need to be at turn initiation before moving inside to be able to drive the tips and get them to bite. A good drill is to turns where you initiate turns really gradually and let you skis find the fall line, basically skiing straight down the hill for a bit. Once you feel the weight on the fronts of your boots and trust the outside ski, move laterally to complete the turn.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    What were you skiing on before? Chances are the Lhasas have less sidecut. The straighter the ski, the more patient you need to be at turn initiation before moving inside to be able to drive the tips and get them to bite. A good drill is to turns where you initiate turns really gradually and let you skis find the fall line, basically skiing straight down the hill for a bit. Once you feel the weight on the fronts of your boots and trust the outside ski, move laterally to complete the turn.
    translation........go faster!
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Check your tune. In particular, make sure your bases are completely flat. My first pair was very hooky on hardpack at first. With bases flattened and a one degree bevel, the hookiness went away.

Yeah I definitely noticed less problems at higher speeds, and I like that these chattered less than what I was coming from, Line blends (08?.) Suit, I thought this MIGHT be part of the issue. I'm horrible with tuning (dont do my own), how do you tell if they are completely flat?

Get out over those big tips and drive those suckas! If you know you ski in the backseat... on hardpack... that's going to be a problem no matter what skis you're on
    Assuming your tune is good, sounds like its time to work on technique. Taking a lesson or two can make a big difference but for now i'd say be thinking about constant, consistant contact between your shins and the tongues of your boots. Check your tune and give that a shot and hopefully your problems should be solved!

I just skied my 186s for the first time at Mammoth on Friday in mostly hardpack conditions. I'm not a good skier by TGR standards and do get in the backseat too often. Nevertheless, I had no problems on the Lhasas. I obviously didn't feel as locked in as on 82mm carving skis, but I felt I could make pretty much any turn shape. As everyone has mentioned here, they do better with more speed.

Make your forehead the bow of the ship that is you skiing.
    See the bite of the edge where it is: from mid-sole to the tips.
    No backseat~!

i used my lhasa 191 yesterday here in the Dolomiti, it was pure ice and even though the skis are not meant to be fantastic on those conditions, they carve surprisingly well. backseat = skis slipping all over the place. (today i used the wailer 112 and because of the deeper sidecut, i would say they are even better in these shitty conditions). ciao.

Was all over Jackson on my 191's yesterday including many groomers and they kicked ass. All above are spot on about backseating it. Hopefully your mount isn't behind where it should be.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thanks all for the input, looks like I just gotta get better! As my friend put it last night, a lotta modern skis can mask bad skiing fundamentals, kind of like oversized golf clubs. These will MAKE you learn to ski better....def noticed these are sweet when your on your game, but they remind you quickly when you slack.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Get out over those big tips and drive those suckas! If you know you ski in the backseat... on hardpack... that's going to be a problem no matter what skis you're on
    Assuming your tune is good, sounds like its time to work on technique. Taking a lesson or two can make a big difference but for now i'd say be thinking about constant, consistant contact between your shins and the tongues of your boots. Check your tune and give that a shot and hopefully your problems should be solved!
    I find this to be the biggest key when skiing my 192 bros as well. If I get lazy, start skiing backseat, and don't drive them, they will kick my ass. If I drive them, they make the mountain my bitch. Plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Lhasa's have no sympathy for backseat skiers. Get out of the backseat and the skis will reward you with any turn shape you choose.

Another vote for checking the tune. Some of Splat's skis shipped without a base grind (his machine was down for a while), also detune the tips a good bit.

While the Lhasas are not a great hard pack carving ski, they do just fine considering their width.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I have no problems with my 191s. They ski surprisingly well on hardpack given their width as long as you drive them. Keep your hands where you can see them and stay out of the backseat and they'll treat you much better.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd mate View Post
    translation........go faster!
    This was huge for me with lhasas on groomers. They are dead at slow speeds, but as soon as you open them up they get lively and easy to turn.

Get outta the backseat, drive the tips, and go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Check your tune. In particular, make sure your bases are completely flat. My first pair was very hooky on hardpack at first. With bases flattened and a one degree bevel, the hookiness went away.
    ^^^^^^

This is crucial. I had the same exact issues. Make sure you've gotten stone grind and 1 deg bevel on the edges. Then de-tune tips and tails until you find the sweet spot.

So i took everyones advice (get out of the back seat and go faster), and detuned the tips a little and FKNA is all I can say. Never really skied a ski that rails like these when on edge. As long as I remember to focus on driving them & dont get lazy and get back as you all said you can make any type of turn...and for a guy my size they are amazingly stable both in and out of the turns. I LOVE these skis and can only imagine how much fun they'll be when I can actually get them into some more favorable conditions! thanks for all the advice and help!

That's RAD! Total success story. They have a little bit of a race-room construction feel to them. Cool that you made them your Bi. and the best part is that it will only get better for you the more you're on them. More time = more comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

What the fuck do we know, we are just a bunch of dentists. The improvement must have just been a coincidence.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I skied the last two days on 191's. I've had extended time on S7's, Billy Goats and Lotus 120's. Lhasas are by far the best on hard snow. They're completely predictable and comfortable at speed or just noodling around.