Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Crampedon - is that shot Ke'anae peninsula?
    Bingo! Taken from the west looking east on a bike ride.

Did someone earlier suggest N. Cal instead of Maui?

Sharks, icewater and drysuits! Oh My!

meh

^^^ Dry suits? Come on. Merely a 5/4/3.... I totally understand the not wanting to get into cold water. I am sitting here posting on this board procrastinating, just because of the cold water. I should really be in the sure.

As for warmth, Hawaii is definitely warmer than Cal, but it is not that warm. I always found myself a bit chilly in the islands due to the constant wind. Central America is way toastier.

I think the bikini will help mitigate any issues the locals may have with you.

Eggs are fantastic. Just be careful, as a surfboard is way way more fragile than skis. If you know how to work with fiberglass, they are pretty easy to repair except in extreme cases.

Perhaps you should start cruising the Surfline.com website and looking for information on breaks.

I spent a summer with my girlfriend on the Big Island in Kona. Had never surfed. Went there because, well surfing looked amazing. And it was. We bought a beat up station wagon for 1200 bucks. Zero money left. Survived on Costco samples and Peanut Butter, Bread, Bananas, and picking mangos from local trees. Finally both got a job after a month at a super ritzy resort serving in the restaurant. Slept on the beach every night. Job had a cafeteria, lockers, and showers. Surfed every day. Worked 35 hours a week and made very decent money. It was amazing. Sometimes I wonder why I ever came back. Aspirations are a funny thing.

SheRa - good luck with your mission. Sounds awesome. Color me jealous.
    I never got good enough to stand up but had a blast body surfing and just playing in the ocean when we got to stop there. To this Idaho boy the water seemed quite warm and lovely. I stayed in for six hours one time ( age 14 -time didn't mean anything ) and scared the crap out of my Mom who thought that I had drowned. It seemed like a few minutes to me. So tired I fell asleep in the elevator going up to the hotel.

gunt - dude.....someone posts up ( not in padded room btw ) info on surfing and working and you come back with mental illness???????? WTF? No emo crap. No advice requested on personal issues at all.

go have your piss party somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    I have the Maui bias for many reasons but each island has it's character.
    What reasons, especially over Kauai? Got that direct flight from SLC.

Summer breaks are south and east in Hawaii, right? Does that make Kauai more promising than Maui? I would want to live close to the breaks of course.

I read that the most drownings happen in Kauai. Why? Are the currents just ridiculous?

It's hard for me to consider Oahu. When I went through there (pearl harbor, waikiki) it looked like southern california and I have a real issue with the crowding. I would be frustrated with a mass of humanity all around me. Maybe I've got it all wrong though. So much lovely solitude on Kawaii. And what about pollution in the water, like I hate getting in the water at Ocean Beach, so nasty, even though it's the closest break to my family on Point Loma.

I would windsurf before I would sup, it's just a little too chill for me. I've seen those people many times at UCSD. I like the standing up part of it and the flat water is very beautiful. But I LOVE the energy of riding a wave. A couple of times I've gotten up on the outer break at La Jolla and I am thoroughly infatuated. Then I beater long and hard (what do you call it, the washing machine?) and need a nap.

Thanks for putting up that sup vid. I just watched it. The beginning shots of the beach made me drool. Looking at that chick's hardbody and nothing else started to annoy me after a while though. Yesterday I went to beacon search with shejumps, major hen party, and I got pretty frustrated. Not my kind of scene, not doing that again...

Thanks for all your posts everyone. I'll answer more when I get a chance. Skiing to be done out there.
    Last edited by SheRa; 12-15-2010 at 07:29 AM.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

First step in not being a kook: spelling island names right.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    First step in not being a kook: spelling island names right.
    Dammit, I just looked at what I typed this morning and thought what a dumbass.

KAUAI
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    Yesterday I went to beacon search with shejumps, major hen party, and I got pretty frustrated. Not my kind of scene, not doing that again...
    OMG just coughed up a lemongrass chicken sandwich! HAHAHHAHHHA

Everyone miss-spells Kauia!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^ Dry suits? Come on. Merely a 5/4/3.... I totally understand the not wanting to get into cold water. I am sitting here posting on this board procrastinating, just because of the cold water. I should really be in the sure.

As for warmth, Hawaii is definitely warmer than Cal, but it is not that warm. I always found myself a bit chilly in the islands due to the constant wind. Central America is way toastier.

I think the bikini will help mitigate any issues the locals may have with you.

Eggs are fantastic. Just be careful, as a surfboard is way way more fragile than skis. If you know how to work with fiberglass, they are pretty easy to repair except in extreme cases.

Perhaps you should start cruising the Surfline.com website and looking for information on breaks.
    You are a wealth of information. Thank you. I'm looking at surfline.

You live in Santa Cruz? Surf at the lighthouse? I've spent a little time over there in years past. So nice. My son is in Monterey at the Defense Language Institute learning Korean. It's his egg that I would take along.

I have done fiberglass work on our sailboat years ago, not sure if I really want to to do more of that. Maybe I could befriend someone that could do. I can cook and everybody likes to eat.

Now that I think of it I have seen narrower foam boards and I could look around for one.

I guess I need a sand break for a while. Next to Waikiki, where would you recommend? (in Hawaii) I heard there was a beach break in the northeast part of Kauai that might be nice in the summer but I forgot the name. Rocky point or something? I boogie boarded down there in the south and remember bruising myself up on some shallow rocks because of a really strong current.
    Last edited by SheRa; 12-15-2010 at 08:02 AM.
    Henry David Thoreau

Kauai fucking rules. A few resorts to work at, WAY small scene, no messed up vibe. I have spent a good portion of my life on the north shore of Kauai and love it.
    For work, there is the biggish resort, Princeville, I am sure it has some good opportunities. A few bars and restaurants in Hanalei Bay. few more resorts as you make your way down from the north. But the surfing is great in the north.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    But the surfing is great in the north.
    Seasonally, but I concur, Kauai's best breaks are in the North. Poipu in the south is also kickass. Then again, Kapaa, (where I lived) near the middle is also super rad. Most of the towns are very small (aside from Lihui), and consist of happy looking faces running around just stoked they're in one of the most beautiful spots in the world. There's only one wal-mart and costco (that I knew of on the island) which I like. Most of the coffee, food, etc is super good, very fresh, and not franchised which I appreciate. You will be 'localized' and accepted as such much faster than any other island. the only negative of Kauai I found was it is very small, and you may get a bit sick of being stuck on it from time to time.

The drawbacks I see from Maui are bad traffic, some very hasty locals (most are pretty chill and it's easy to find your in, but there are definitely a larger proportion that really don't give a fuck who you are), not as community oriented of small town, and generally a bigger, less connected feeling. It's much more spread out, so getting from one side to the other requires a fairly conserted effort.

Thanks for the better description, I was very young when I surfed there and only remember driving far a few times, which also could mean 50x, but oh what a drive it is, that waterfall right on the main highway going near princeville pretty much rules.

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    Seasonally, but I concur, Kauai's best breaks are in the North. Poipu in the south is also kickass. Then again, Kapaa, (where I lived) near the middle is also super rad. Most of the towns are very small (aside from Lihui), and consist of happy looking faces running around just stoked they're in one of the most beautiful spots in the world. There's only one wal-mart and costco (that I knew of on the island) which I like. Most of the coffee, food, etc is super good, very fresh, and not franchised which I appreciate. You will be 'localized' and accepted as such much faster than any other island. the only negative of Kauai I found was it is very small, and you may get a bit sick of being stuck on it from time to time.

The drawbacks I see from Maui are bad traffic, some very hasty locals (most are pretty chill and it's easy to find your in, but there are definitely a larger proportion that really don't give a fuck who you are), not as community oriented of small town, and generally a bigger, less connected feeling. It's much more spread out, so getting from one side to the other requires a fairly conserted effort.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by QuikR12 View Post
    The drive from the north shore surf breaks to the south side or even Honolua are 35 min to an hour max. Even to drive to La Perouse from Haiku in season is 50 min.

Ignore the locals that even look sideways at you anywhere. Anyone that gives you stink-eye is usually a punk or a moron, no one with any Aloha whatsoever is gonna say nothin but "hey Howzit, how you?"

If you are driving from town to the north shore in winter on a huge swell day, 20' + there will be some heavy gaper tourist traffic trying to get to Jaws to see some action but nothing like Oahu North shore or the I70 on a powder day!

I am mostly a lurker here, but have also lived in Maui for 25 years. Kula. I also have a Maui bias. If you're talking summer, you're looking at south shore swells. Also, the windsurfing/kitesurfing on North shore is unbeatable. The stand up paddling is not quite as chill as you might think, if you're doing to catch surf or doing the maliko gulch down wind runs. Also, have some mountain bike riding, although not as many choices as utah or Colorado. The surf scene, especially for lower end surfers is pretty mellow. My office mate is born and raised and surfed all of his life. If you need someone to talk to re that scene, he could fill you in pretty well. It would definitely make for a fun summer. If you've got the freedom, go for it.

Thanks for responding. Look forward to meeting you in person, stenou.

I'm considering jobs right now, what seasonal work is there in a place without seasons?
    Henry David Thoreau

If you're talking summer, that is a busy season. Lot's of families visiting. The jobs are tourist related. Restaurant's, hotels, beach activities, etc. Also, downhill biking companies, surf shops, etc. Everyone ramps up for busy season.

Awesome

Living in SLC/Oahu is my retirement plan. Ski in winter, and surf/photograph in summer/fall. My plan is never to be pro, just have fun and enjoy. Just gotta get the kids all grown up and out (not that I want that to happen too fast - I'm enjoying our time).

My recommendation would be to make some trips and friends over there, where ever the "there" is for you. If it's HI, Cabo or FL.

A friend of mine made some connections and worked at Matsumoto's for the summer. If you're a great person, people want you back. Matsumoto's as well as other local places would be a killer job with great young local connections, surf, parties, and fun. You can do the same with any local place, or if you're a college grad, make your way over there and work in the city (HNL) - start looking and making connections now, plan to visit and connect with those who accept your lifestyle and ethics.

I've made more than a few trips, and now know some of the best photogs over there on the North Shore personally or by Facebook. One favorite and friend of mine is Sean Davey. One time I was over on the North Shore I must have made 3-4 new friends who I could hang out with in one day by hitting the Farmer's Market in Haleiwa. There are a ton of great events to attend, and opportunity to serve (beach clean-ups), to be involved in the community, keep active, and make lifelong family.

Have fun and good luck!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    LOL at Mir having romance troubles.

Yeah, foam boards suck to carry around, but I got mine at the Oakland swap meet for $30!!!

Mir, if you are serious I can keep my eyes peeled for good deals for you. I guess just figure out what kind of board you want. I am on SF Bay craigslist like 20 times a day.

Either way DO IT. Actually warm weather does wonders for people like us who have done nothing but ski for years on end.

Quick little update for those that are curious. I'm spending the summer in Monterey, which is lovely. I have no wetsuit. The water is cold. If anybody from the area wants to get together for a drink, let me know.

As for Hawaii, it'll have to wait one more year I suppose. Turns out I have a friend that's a golf pro on Maui when I need to get a job over there.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hugh Conway Guest
    Welcome

wetsuits are nice. there are a couple ripcurl outlets in Santa Cruz but you just missed the O'Neill sale. I'll stand you a drink if you are up this end of the bay or when I make it down south

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Welcome

wetsuits are nice. there are a couple ripcurl outlets in Santa Cruz but you just missed the O'Neill sale. I'll stand you a drink if you are up this end of the bay or when I make it down south
    Thank you! I would like that.

I wonder if there are any other maggots in the area? Would like to meet, since I'm new and don't know anybody...
    Henry David Thoreau

Have fun up in Monterey. If you come down to San Diego, pm me and you should party with the wife and I in Coronado and join the boys for the Friday morning surf session up at Swamis, although we will take you to Boneyards, so the regulars don't get grumpy with us. Do say hi if you come down this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Thanks! My folks are in San Diego, dunno if I'll get down there or not this summer though. Expecting them to come up here to visit this time around. My dad just broke his ankle, so we'll see.

Thanks for cool invites everybody, here and in PMs, but let me reiterate that I'm a novice at both surfing and golf, that's the appeal. I need some new challenges. Besides, skiing is played.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Have fun up in Monterey. If you come down to San Diego, pm me and you should party with the wife and I in Coronado and join the boys for the Friday morning surf session up at Swamis, although we will take you to Boneyards, so the regulars don't get grumpy with us. Do say hi if you come down this way.
    Henry David Thoreau