Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2010/11

MLB 2010/11

Sox ink Crawford for 7/$142M, and have apparently agreed in principle to a 7/$154M deal for Adrian Gonzalez.

I must be shitting me.

You'll stop shitting when, based on the past few years for the Sox, both of them break their legs and along with eight of the nine other starters miss half the season.[/antijinxeventhoughidon'tbelieveinjinxes]

Earliest posting for a season's MLB thread? SSD wins.
    [quote][//quote]

About time for this thread.

Can anyone justify Jayson Werth's new deal with the Nationals? $18 million for 7 years for a guy on the wrong side of 30 who will no longer be hitting behind Rollins, Utley and Howard?

On a more positive note, I like the moves the Rockies are making. It must have made it up to the Front office that the chances of keeping both Ubaldo and Cargo at the end of their contracts is slim so they need to take advantage of that 4 window now. Still think they need to go out and get another starter.

I heart Theo again. Bye Beltre, I liked you and all but there's just no room for you anymore.

Exciting news. Any bets on which one will get Heidi?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

What wins out- having Crawford and Ellsbury back to back tearing it up on the bases, or Francona's thing with going left-right through the lineup?

The thought prob is :
    Ellsbury
    Pedroia
    Crawford
    Youk
    A-Gonz
    Ortiz
    Drew
    Scutaro
    Salty

I like keeping Ellsbury and Crawford back to back, but the lineup is defintely lefthand-centric no matter what you do.

Ellsbury
    Crawford
    Youk
    A Gonz
    Pedroia
    Ortiz
    Drew
    Salty
    Scutaro
    Decisions Decisions

And the Gonzalez deal is an extension of the current contract, which will pay him only $6.3 million next year and he is signed thru 2018 (2017 for crawford)
    Decisions Decisions

Have to believe Francona will alternate L/R batters as much as he can.
    Can't believe they got both those guys so quickly.

In other news, Cliff Lee agrees to a deal w/Yankees.
    ^^^^^
    That's what you'll be reading a few hours(?) from now. Unfortunately.
    [quote][//quote]

theres only 3 righties in the lineup anyway, 5 lefties, and 1 switch (tek and salty both switch)

whats the yankees staff...

sabathia
    lee
    hughes
    burnett
    pettitte

I love typing burnett in there. He truly fucking sucks. Hahaha. Hughes is good but not scaring anyone. I cant wait for Ellsbury and Crawford to steal 8 bases a game on Posada.

p.s. I hope Posada DH's. Nothing better the a DH hitting .250 with 18 homers and 57 RBI. Seriously, put him out to pasture and sign someone worth putting in the lineup. Pussies.
    Decisions Decisions

It's a bad overpay but it makes the Sox pretty scary in the short-term. Some of Crawford's value is his defense, which is negated by the brick wall out in LF at the HS park that the Sox play in. But with the money coming off the books in 2011, Sox could be quite the force for the next few years (until the long-term contracts start collecting their dues).

Still, even when the Yankees eventually blink and sign Lee for 50@$1billion, Sox have got to be favorites for the AL East now. Ugh.

Oh, and Brock, Beckett vs Burnett as to suckitude. Discuss.

And in non-Sox/Yankees news (yawn) -- that Werth contract is dumb beyond belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    theres only 3 righties in the lineup anyway, 5 lefties, and 1 switch (tek and salty both switch)
    Lowrie is a switch hitter and the presumptive starting SS if Scutaro's shoulder is as bad as rumored.

I don't think it's that bad an overpayment. He's only 29; although a lot of his current value comes from defense and baserunning, you can reasonably expect him to hit for more power in his early to mid thirties. That's a typical profile anyway. And who knows, in seven years this will probably be a good contract. His defense is a little bit wasted in Fenway's LF but the short porch will cover up his relatively unimpressive throwing arm.

Just didn't see this coming at all. Wonder what happens in the OF, which is pretty crowded and very expensive right now. As a total guess, I'll say they eat Cameron's salary and ship him somewhere, maybe back to SD where he was popular, to clear space, then re-sign Bill Hall as supersub.

As for Werth- I've never seen a deal that so many people hate so much. No doubt the failure to sign Texeira and Sabathia makes them feel like a second-tier franchise, but I don't think this is a guy you want as the face of your team (as in, he's a jerk with a history of injuries).

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post

As for Werth- I've never seen a deal that so many people hate so much. No doubt the failure to sign Texeira and Sabathia makes them feel like a second-tier franchise, but I don't think this is a guy you want as the face of your team (as in, he's a jerk with a history of injuries).
    What makes it even more bizarre is the way they let a fan favorite and far cheaper alternative like Adam Dunn walk. Besides that team is a few years away from being a few years away, why saddle yourself with an aging 2nd tier? player like Werth?

Good pitching trumps overpriced hitting most of the time.

Crawford's deal makes me want to puke. Does anyone think he'll still have the legs after three years? A tee-baller would know the answer to this.

Tulo's new extension makes me smile. Almost guarantees he stays with the Rox through is career (but let's face it, we're talking baseball here).
    The best things in life aren't things.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Lowrie is a switch hitter and the presumptive starting SS if Scutaro's shoulder is as bad as rumored.

I don't think it's that bad an overpayment. He's only 29; although a lot of his current value comes from defense and baserunning, you can reasonably expect him to hit for more power in his early to mid thirties. That's a typical profile anyway. And who knows, in seven years this will probably be a good contract. His defense is a little bit wasted in Fenway's LF but the short porch will cover up his relatively unimpressive throwing arm.

Just didn't see this coming at all. Wonder what happens in the OF, which is pretty crowded and very expensive right now. As a total guess, I'll say they eat Cameron's salary and ship him somewhere, maybe back to SD where he was popular, to clear space, then re-sign Bill Hall as supersub.

Youre right about Lowrie. And you know what- he isnt a bad player when healthy. Defintely a valuable utility guy as a worst case scenario, but a decent option if Scutaro is out.

I wonder though if the Sox are going to let both Ellsbury and Crawford loose on the bases with Gonzalez Youkilis and Ortiz behind. Traditionally they have been a OPS, HR, 3-run homer type team who was skewed a bit by just one player. Now they have 2 of the fastest guys in the league. I dont worry about the power numbers at all, a single turns to a double pretty easily then there are a few capable bats behind in the lineup. And his defense is a bit eaten by the dimensions in LF but there will be no bloop hits in the outfield now (CF and LF). Anything over his head in any park is a double, same here so no loss.

Cameron has 1 year left? I say keep him and at the end of the year he and Drew are gone. Kalish came on strong but I dont know, maybe a 4th OF long term?Nava tailed off.

The Werth deal was so bad- total shock. He is old and not really that good. When he signed I was like oh shit- Sox will never sign Crawford now, the price in terms of $ and years will be way too much. I guess John Henry has been listening to whats been said around town and opened up the checkbook
    Decisions Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Missing Sock View Post
    What makes it even more bizarre is the way they let a fan favorite and far cheaper alternative like Adam Dunn walk. Besides that team is a few years away from being a few years away, why saddle yourself with an aging 2nd tier? player like Werth?
    Dunn gives you the same production for half the price. But the Nats can compete in that division- obviously Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann are on the shelf, but they'll have a decent rotation (I like John Hannan) and decent lineup in what we can reasonably expect to be a still-shitty 2011 NL East. And they crushed it in the 2009 and 2010 drafts, so they'll have guys to trade or plug in as needed.

Glad they're willing to spend the money, but Jesus Christ on a motorbike that's a lot of money for a streaky guy with 684 career hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Adominable Snowman View Post
    Oh, and Brock, Beckett vs Burnett as to suckitude. Discuss.
    Beckett is good when healthy. Burnett sucks healthy or not. And Beckett has put together whole seasons that are Cy Young caliber. Burnett has a no hitter then 5 starts giving up 7 runs walking 8.

But youre right Beckett hasnt lived up to the glimpses we see from him (his glimpses are just longer than Burnett's)
    Decisions Decisions

Ortiz? You're counting on him?

Forgot to mention in my haste- Lowrie and Cameron both kill LHP, Saltalamacchia hits LHP well, and check out Gonzalez' career numbers against Lee. I wouldn't do anything to this lineup except flip Scutaro for bullpen help.

This has got to be brutal for the Angels, who are now going to bid against themselves for Beltre.

Funny...I don't seem to hear any Chowds whining about how the Yankees buy up all the high priced free agents.

The Crawford signing had to make Lee's agent really happy
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

vmart would make that lineup pretty ridiculous right now-how's the catcher's market?

Shouldn't there be another separate thread for the Yankees and Red Sox? All you Massholes are cunting up the good thread. Take your shenanigans elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Shouldn't there be another separate thread for the Yankees and Red Sox? All you Massholes are cunting up the good thread. Take your shenanigans elsewhere.
    Terrific value add here.

Sox think Saltalamacchia will hit well enough and handle pitchers better than Martinez. But re-signing Martinez was a plan B or C.

Crawford is pretty much a pull hitter right now, he will fucking wreak havoc in Fenway. I'll start the over-under on inside-the-park HRs at 2.5 and triples at 15.5.
    Last edited by Steven S. Dallas; 12-09-2010 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Funny...I don't seem to hear any Chowds whining about how the Yankees buy up all the high priced free agents.

The Crawford signing had to make Lee's agent really happy
    The Red Sox are doing this purely for the betterment of mankind.

Any time the Yankees lose, mankind is better off.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Only Irul can do that. He'll start it off with some outrageous smear against the Sox and those poor unfortunates who support them, which will invite 3 pages of vitriol and hopefully a couple of funny photos of Irul, and then after that we'll eventually get around to bickering about which team is better.

Re Crawford and power...I don't think he's got much further to go with that. Speed usually busts badly past the early 30s (or so it seems to me) but I guess there are always exceptions.