Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Proper way to deal with reckless skier/boarders?

So the Gaper Quote Thread took a wrong turn when I admitted to losing my temper and yelling at a guy in the lift line after he cut my girlfriend off in the slow zone. He was riding in perfect control, there was no one else on the run, and they were in a slow zone. I watched him cut so close to her (frontside edge, no blind spot bs) that he almost ran over her skis. She's not the best skier and was almost knocked down. This had been happening all day, so I chased him to the lift line and yelled at him. The snowboarder was in perfect control, riding very fast, and had no excuse for cutting so close to another person. Two years ago a good friend of mine was cut off by a snowboarder and damaged her shoulder quite badly when he knocked her to the ground. He then took off without apologizing or stopping to see if she was okay.

According to telesucks, DasBlunt, and bcd, I am a snowboard hating douchebag for calling out a reckless rider. I would really like to know what I should have done in that situation. I posted it in the gaper thread because I thought I was being self-deprecating by sharing how I acted like a moron by yelling insults in the lift line, but it seems I was wrong.

So what do you do when anyone cuts you or a beginner skier off? Should I just smoke a bowl and sing Bob Marley songs after watching someone get smoked by a reckless skier or boarder?

For the record, I understand that an accident is an accident. I'm talking about when an asshole is an accident.

Quote Originally Posted by halcyon View Post
    I would really like to know what I should have done in that situation.
    no harm, no foul. Chill.

Yep, that ship has sailed. Get over it already.
    Just curious, how well do you deal with inconsiderate drivers?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

It's a normal reaction when scared.

He was riding in perfect control...

Two years ago a good friend of mine was cut off by a snowboarder and damaged her shoulder quite badly when he knocked her to the ground.

So what do you do when anyone cuts you or a beginner skier off?....reckless skier or boarder?
    He came too close and you yell at him. Dude

You compare this to a friend that was cut-off or knocked to the ground. That is two different events. Dude I imagine she fell when she panicked, thus creating more of a problem.

beginner skiers are the liability. They lack control and ofter veer without warning. He should have yelled at you.

i think there are currently 5-10 threads discussing this same issue here:

EpicSki.com

You should have done something like the guy in blue...

or this, you totally should have done this...

Nope I stand corrected you should have done this. this one wins...

Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

People get way too overprotective of their girlfriends, wives, kids or what-have-you and freak out. If that was you yelling at me, I would've laughed in your face.

not sure there is a right or wrong way to handle this situation, but i think that normally it is handled as you described. probably not effective, but you probably feel better after.

i recall the same situation happening often when my girl was learning to snowboard. never acted on it, but always wondered why these people would waste their time skiing/riding super fast on green beginner runs.

the only benefit i can see is those people not on the better stuff after your girl learns to ride.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    They lack control and ofter veer without warning.
    Ummm would this not be why an experienced skier/boarder should give them more/plenty of room? Just as many gave to you when you were a inexperienced veering rider lacking control.

The two events are different only due to luck. Is it not worthy until there is a serious or permanent injury or death? Do you not see where preventing those occurs by reacting and adjusting to the near hits not just the serious injuries?

Just curious, do some see inconsiderate and dangerous as meaning the same thing?
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Yeah, welcome to outdoor sports, where douchy fuc%$ fly their freak flag high. You are right this is a phenomenon that is not unique to snowboarders, skiers pull the same crap also.

I get the occasion when people make a mistake, or just lose track of where they are, but what you are talking about is 'tough guy' show off or intimidating behavior.

If I am on my skis, and I see one approaching (which I stay pretty tuned in after being run over by a boarder at significant speed) I simply use my pole as a deterrent. On my board, I simply start shaking my head and start to raise the voice level of my GTFAway verbiage.

Usually this is effective, but you have the problem of how to deal with it AFTER the fact. Personally, I think if you are going to confront someone, you had better be ready to put your hands on him, and accept the consequences for such. The dude clearly needs his ass beat, the question is whether or not you feel the need to be the guy?
    Personally, I REALLY try to avoid that as best I can; it will almost always end badly IME.
    However there is the notion that not calling someone on that behavior will simply 'embolden the terrorist' so to speak.

Personally, I think that the level of respect toward fellow humans and their bretheren, has dropped dramatically in the last couple of decades. I also believe that WE should be responsible for taking care of our own (skiers/boarders). When I was younger, that meant people got their asses beat for that kind of crap.
    Today is a totally different world; not necessarily better IMO. The whole PC, emasculation of our society has lead to all types of rude and reprehensible behavior that was simply 'physically' dealt with in the past.

Some people are simply dumbshit$, and will just never get it. It is sad that there is not much you can do to convince said moron of the danger in a 40 mph body to body crash. No amount of reason or even violence will get to them; and in many cases simply makes it worse.

This is a bigger problem of our society today; it just happens to be seen more acutely in scenarios where common courtesy and sense has to be constantly reminded. How many times do you have to see a SLOW sign, ski fast lose pass, downhill skier has right of way, respect those around you, no smoking, etc. to realize that many people are just REALLY SIMPLE or total ASSHOLES.

This problem is not going away anytime soon.....................and you are not alone in your frustration.

wow. this is an interesting approach to skiing.

He was riding in perfect control, there was no one else on the run, and they were in a slow zone. I watched him cut so close to her (frontside edge, no blind spot bs) that he almost ran over her skis. She's not the best skier and was almost knocked down. This had been happening all day...
    Same guy doing this all day?

Really simple is very often the theme. Then the (all, ok, 99%) people from Boston are just Assholes. It used to be either skiers, or if you are a skier, snowboarder, but now, its every brand of douche.

Today, douche nozzle stops on a cat track, 10 people behind him trying to keep speed have to stop because he douches to a full stop, he yells, "downhill skier has the right of way".

OP, don't lose sleep over this. you're good and good for a laugh....that goes over well around here I see.

I have handled shit badly...skiers not obeying the "rules", but we all hopefully evolve.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

someone who rides in control is more likely to assume that everyone else is too, especially if the other people are moving slowly. It sounds like he would have hit her if he wanted to. If you really feel like something should be said to him, than by all means say it. Bear in mind, however, that if you treat him like shit, he might give you a lot less space next time.

Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post
    wow. this is an interesting approach to skiing.
    Yeah, I agree. Serious Fuckin# drag.
    Last time I got hit, my hip was numb for a couple days.

Join what's left of the Yellowstone Club? Buy some skins?

PoopGhost and I were at Loveland last week and we noticed that someone was always trying to kill one of us. Just one of those days. It didn't matter if we were hauling ass or making slow turns like the maitre' d at The Palm. Like another poster says, some people are just dipshits and never learn.

Forget it Jake, it's just Chinatown.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by gASSyrOBOt View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Serious Fuckin# drag.
    Last time I got hit, my hip was numb for a couple days.
    How do your hips feel when your boyfriend grabs them to bang you?

ALIAS ALERT!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    How do your hips feel when your boyfriend grabs them to bang you?

ALIAS ALERT!
    the only reason he is pumping my asscrack, is because yours has been the size of the Lincoln tunnel since 91' you skanky bitch

alias alert, errrr EPIC FAIL??

stay home, skiing is dangerous.
    Hello darkness my old friend

You should have actually stabbed him in the forehead. With your dick. Until blood came out of his head.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You should have actually stabbed him in the forehead. With your dick. Until blood came out of his head.
    like a mosquito...
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Sorry I started this. let's finnish this up so we can get back to making fun of people who are less good/knowledgeable than us.

Anyhow,
    Halcyon, I'm sorry for making you feel bad. I just don't like fighting and I don't think it gets you anywhere positive, thats why I pointed it out in the first place. The best way to avoid bad situations is to... avoid bad situations. whic is sometimes hard but yeah.

and as far as the "idiot snowboarder" thing, I was putting "idiot snowboarder" in wuotes to emphasize that it isn't always an idiot snowboarder. Now that I think about that, that is very ambiguous.

And the guy who said something about my username, sorry if that's offensive.
    It's sort of an inside joke thing with some friends. I telemark ( that makes it ok right?) and it does suck. joke.

In conclusion, just skiiiiii.

Toecutter: just a lot of people ripping through without looking.

We were skiing tight turns at a reasonable speed and not out of control or veering across the entire width of a given run. Still people blasting by ridiculously close. I'm pretty good at not taking things personally, but the dude I yelled at just happened to be the worst example I've seen.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not all butthurt or anything, but I am surprised at the number of people who went past "you're the fuckface for losing your temper" and into "who cares?" I'm disappointed in the number of people here who can't think back to when they were a beginner or never ski with someone who isn't hot shit. I do spend time in the backcountry, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed a mellow day of in-bounds skiing with someone not as experienced as I am.

Really, I was just curious about why people were so angry or offended that I made a joke out of my own stupid reaction. I'm beginning to think that a couple of the people who've commented here have been yelled at for running over beginners.

Now I have a better picture of how this forum is just like your typical ski hill. Some very cool and interesting people to share a chair or a run with, and some assholes you hope will stay in the lodge talking about all the cool shit they almost did.

Now I have a better picture of how this forum is just like your typical ski hill. Some very cool and interesting people to share a chair or a run with, and some assholes you hope will stay in the lodge talking about all the cool shit they almost did.
    You forgot about the over reacting cry baby type that should probably stick to the bunny hill with their ladies
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025