Bomb Squads vs. Live Lifes vs. Maestros

Ok, first...aloha maggots! Used to have a tgr account w/ same name, but it went away for some reason. Just re-registered. Never posted a whole lot here (usually on telemarktips), but have lurked quite a bit.

So, I'm looking to get my first pair of rocker/early-rise skis. My list is pretty much down to 2011 editions of:

Ski Logik Bomb Squad 188
    Surface Live Life / Live Free 191 (same ski, different graphics)
    Surface One Life 189 (same as previous incarnation of Live Life -- quite a bit different than the current one though)
    Bluehouse Maestro 189

Me: 200#, aggressive tele skier, power over finesse, love to go fast, not too concerned with big drops (used to be huge into big air, before severely blowing a disc in my back a couple of years ago - back has been 100% fine skiing, but landing big air: **not** recommended for disc patients), but would like a stable platform for when I do have to drop in (One Life concerns me somewhat there, due to radical tail rocker). Live in CO, also like to ski UT and British Columbia.

This ski will be intended for backcountry and big dump inbounds days. Needs to be awesome in powder/crud/junk, nimble in trees, crank any turn radius, comforable at speed, and at least not totally sucky in bumps and groomers (won't be seeking out bumps on these, but they always seem to come into play inbounds).

Not a guy who tries a ton of different skis, so instead of like/dislike, I'll go through my quiver:

Kingswood MidFats (105 waist - looks very similar to current Archetype), 185cm, regular flex: my go-to backcountry and inbounds big dump ski. Absolutely love these, though they are un-fun in bumps (unless good and soft) and can be a handful in tight trees. Really stable at speed for it's light weight, medium-stiff flex, and lack of metal.

Nordica Beast 92, 188cm (92 waist): Amazingly fun and versatile inbounds ski. Carves like mad, holds a great edge, any size turns, great in trees and bumps, great in powder as long as it's not super deep. Not the best crud buster, but not bad either. Quite stable at speed, as long as it's not extremely chunky. No likey in the backcountry (not entirely sure why). Getting long in the tooth, but still my inbounds daily driver.

G3 Ticket, 182cm (80 waist): Freaky carving machine. Very capable everywhere except when it's deep. Little skittery on very steep hardpack (does not want to sideslip at all). Plenty of pop. Loves high speed groomers. However, for some reason, these do not get me too excited or inspired. Usually reserved for "loud" conditions, or non-deep days where I just want something different from the Beasts.

Dynastar 4x4 Big, 188cm (80 waist): Punched out - rock ski status. Really loved these when they were my main ride, though always wished I'd gone for the 194's (though they probably would've sucked in bumps, whereas these are excellent bumpers). Great everywhere except kind of hurting for edge hold. Clearly overwhelmed by e.g. Rogers Pass mega-deep (no surprise there), get a little wacky at very high speeds.

So basically, I like a medium-stiff ski that's plenty lively yet likes speed. Some dampness is good, but not so much that it's dead-feeling (like every Rossi I've been on since the '90's = lifeless). This one will need to be light enough to tour, too.

Any opinions on any of these four rocker boards (huge bonus points if you've skied > 1 of them)? Leaning towards Bomb Squads or Live Lifes, though the only Bomb Squad review I can find here = not so good. Other suggestions?
    Last edited by skizix; 12-08-2010 at 07:57 AM.

None of the above:
    :Suggest consider:
    K2 Sidestash
    Atomic Atlas
    Voile Charger

Cheers
    "People ask us to take them skiing, and I'm like, 'REALLY'? I mean if you want to get in an avalanche or just die somehow, then, YEAH, come with US!" - Nathan Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by wildskizer View Post
    None of the above:
    :Suggest consider:
    K2 Sidestash
    Atomic Atlas
    Voile Charger

Cheers
    That's quite the assortment there...three very different skis if I'm not mistaken.

Sidestash was a ski I was looking hard at towards the end of last season, but I figured I'd get something more different from my Kingswoods (well, width-wise anyhow).

Atlas sounds like a super fun ski, but kind of a big line slayer, no? Love to have a pair, but right now I'm after more of a nimble, playful number for zipping around in the trees.

Charger actually sounds pretty interesting. Only thing is: Voile never really sounded like skis I'd like -- too finessey, for lighter folks, too bc-specific. Kind of like Tuas, which I never liked much. Does that sound like the Charger, or have Voile come up with a ski with some huevos?

Maybe an on3p billygoat?

Out of the three you listed, I'd go for the maestros. I've had good experiences with BH. That said, my impression is that they're on the softer end, you you might power through them.

I know you said you hated the feel of Rossi's, but there is a reason a lot of people pick the S7. It excels at the stuff you were just describing, tight trees and feeling really playful. Can also shred groomers once you figure out how to modify your turn initiation.

After one run on the maestros I can only comment that they did surprisingly well on frozen cat track with lots of frozen chunks and bumps. The tip/tail flop eases the transitions pretty nicely. They are also great for survival skiing (interesting tree-cliff adventure on first run of the season).
    "Nothing like a very, very amorous woman in a leg imobilizer who dozes off every 3 1/2 minutes."
    -Notchtop

So basically, I like a medium-stiff ski that's plenty lively yet likes speed. Some dampness is good, but not so much that it's dead-feeling (like every Rossi I've been on since the '90's = lifeless). This one will need to be light enough to tour, too.
    you have basically described what you want: the 191 Live Life. pretty sure i've reviewed it on this forum.

lighter than the typical wood-core skis of this size. much lighter than the S7 last I checked. has enough mid/tail section stiffness to land drops well.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    you have basically described what you want: the 191 Live Life. pretty sure i've reviewed it on this forum.

lighter than the typical wood-core skis of this size. much lighter than the S7 last I checked. has enough mid/tail section stiffness to land drops well.
    Yeah, I've read your reviews -- big reason these are on my short list. Thanks for that. Indeed: sounds just like what I'm after.

Any comparisons to, or just opinions on, Bomb Squads, would be helpful. The only review here is not great. A few glowing reviews out there on the 3dub, but they tend to sound biased/spancerd/bribed/etc. They sound like what I'm looking for...I think, and I'm oddly drawn to them...but maybe just cuz they're so purdy. Hand flexed a pair recently, and...seems real nice, but again: they are lookers, which tends to influence, but is at the bottom of the criteria list.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    That's quite the assortment there...three very different skis if I'm not mistaken.

Sidestash was a ski I was looking hard at towards the end of last season, but I figured I'd get something more different from my Kingswoods (well, width-wise anyhow).

Atlas sounds like a super fun ski, but kind of a big line slayer, no? Love to have a pair, but right now I'm after more of a nimble, playful number for zipping around in the trees.

Charger actually sounds pretty interesting. Only thing is: Voile never really sounded like skis I'd like -- too finessey, for lighter folks, too bc-specific. Kind of like Tuas, which I never liked much. Does that sound like the Charger, or have Voile come up with a ski with some huevos?
    Actually I posted these primarily cause I assumed you are a "Pin Head". Perhaps incorrectly? Anyway, I don't see these three as very different. Rather similar in that they all have Tip rocker, and flat tails [no rocker], good float, therefore, good for Tele? Maybe not?, since I can't Tele any more, [*&#^&@ Knees]! I don't know of any reviews on the Chargers yet, but they look good....

If you really want Tip and Tail rocker, Elan Boomerangs might fit the bill 4 U?
    Nice profile on them, but we need more snow before I get on mine.

Sorry if I confused things 4 YA,

Cheers
    "People ask us to take them skiing, and I'm like, 'REALLY'? I mean if you want to get in an avalanche or just die somehow, then, YEAH, come with US!" - Nathan Wallace

Yo Fro,

How do these cope with bumps? I mean, I'm sure they're not ideal, but can they deal at all? I'd hate to pop out of the trees, dirt-tired at the end of the day, and have to negotiate a shitload of bumps on skis that hate 'em.

Sure, most skis can cope, but I've seen the ugly side -- back in the cretatious (alpine days), I used to love riding my 215cm Dynastar FMP's (a very stiff, heavy, damp, wide-for-its-day, super-g ski), but if confronted with bumps...I was like completely crippled (basically they would span the trough between bumps, a feeling I never even got close to getting used to).

Can the LL's deal ok with bumps, or am I going to have to call patrol for a toboggan?

Actually I posted these primarily cause I assumed you are a "Pin Head". Perhaps incorrectly? Anyway, I don't see these three as very different. Rather similar in that they all have Tip rocker, and flat tails [no rocker], good float, therefore, good for Tele? Maybe not?, since I can't Tele any more, [*&#^&@ Knees]! I don't know of any reviews on the Chargers yet, but they look good....

If you really want Tip and Tail rocker, Elan Boomerangs might fit the bill 4 U?
    Nice profile on them, but we need more snow before I get on mine.

Sorry if I confused things 4 YA,

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wildskizer View Post
    Actually I posted these primarily cause I assumed you are a "Pin Head"...
    Actually, my head is gigantic!

Kidding (well actually, it's true -- not too many hats fit me!). Whilst actual pins are no longer in play...I do indeed tele (haven't clicked in in quite some time now; at least since last century).

But as a tele-er, I have no "special needs" (despite the fact that I might come off as mentally handicapped thinking tele is a good idea ). If anything, I suppose I have a little less urge to go mega-stiff than I did as an alpiner, but otherwise: a ski is a ski, either way.

In any case, no probs whatsoever; any and all suggestions are most definitely well appreciated!

Yo Fro,

How do these cope with bumps? I mean, I'm sure they're not ideal, but can they deal at all? I'd hate to pop out of the trees, dirt-tired at the end of the day, and have to negotiate a shitload of bumps on skis that hate 'em.

Sure, most skis can cope, but I've seen the ugly side -- back in the cretatious (alpine days), I used to love riding my 215cm Dynastar FMP's (a very stiff, heavy, damp, wide-for-its-day, super-g ski), but if confronted with bumps...I was like completely crippled (basically they would span the trough between bumps, a feeling I never even got close to getting used to).

Can the LL's deal ok with bumps, or am I going to have to call patrol for a toboggan?
    I've skied a fairly wide range of rockered fatties over the years...the LL's are plenty versatile. i've negotiated icy bumps on them (tele) w/o any significant issues. soft bumps are no problemo of course.

i'd rather the 191 LL's in the bumps on the way back to the chair than I would my lotus 120s, to use one example.

really the key here is whether you do want to occasionally tour on them. there aren't many fatties that are light but still torsionally stiff enough to hold a decent edge. and longitudinally stiff enough to handle crud or refrozen snow reasonably well.

I've skied a fairly wide range of rockered fatties over the years...the LL's are plenty versatile. i've negotiated icy bumps on them (tele) w/o any significant issues. soft bumps are no problemo of course.

i'd rather the 191 LL's in the bumps on the way back to the chair than I would my lotus 120s, to use one example.

really the key here is whether you do want to occasionally tour on them. there aren't many fatties that are light but still torsionally stiff enough to hold a decent edge. and longitudinally stiff enough to handle crud or refrozen snow reasonably well.
    Yes. As stated earlier: definitely will tour on these. Likely more than occasionally (though it will be tough to dethrone the kingswoods -- primo bc ski, but we'll see).

And yes, it seems you are on to what I'm after. Thanks much for the beta. I'm going to have to hear stellar things about the bomb squads to steer me away from the LL's -- getting pretty tunneled in on them, here inside my head.

Bomb Squad seems right up your alley: super light, stable, can hold an edge, 120+ in the waist might be a bit on the big side though. If it is too big, get the Howitzer.

Icelantic Shaman doesn't have any rocker in it, but that ski will bust through crud, carve GS turns, and it's super light. HIGHLY recommend this guy.

I'd look at the S7/mancini pro as well, good for most everything you've described. Howitzers are more stable IMO though.

Not sure how I'd feel about throwing tele binders on it, but the Gotama might be up your alley as well, pintail in the back makes it super easy to throw around in the bumps and trees, ELP rocker still gives you enough edge when you put the ski on edge, but doesn't feel hooky, and busts through crud pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by MC Slayer View Post
    Bomb Squad seems right up your alley: super light, stable, can hold an edge, 120+ in the waist might be a bit on the big side though. If it is too big, get the Howitzer.

Icelantic Shaman doesn't have any rocker in it, but that ski will bust through crud, carve GS turns, and it's super light. HIGHLY recommend this guy.

I'd look at the S7/mancini pro as well, good for most everything you've described. Howitzers are more stable IMO though.

Not sure how I'd feel about throwing tele binders on it, but the Gotama might be up your alley as well, pintail in the back makes it super easy to throw around in the bumps and trees, ELP rocker still gives you enough edge when you put the ski on edge, but doesn't feel hooky, and busts through crud pretty well.
    Have you skied the Bomb Squad and Howitzer? If so, please elaborate.

Curious about Icelantic. Folks seem to full-on love or hate them -- no one thinks they're just ok. Any thoughts on the Keeper? That one would seem to be more in line with the others I'm considering...

Any comparisons to, or just opinions on, Bomb Squads, would be helpful
    Yo. Check this out, posted by my pal Juho Karhu ("Keksie" here). He rips BTW.

And review here. Sound like a very solid pair of planks!

Hope this helped (from a fellow pinner...although just a novice, just spent my first ever 8 days in the Alps w free heels...god that was a tuff trip. But I don't regret it, I guess I lerned tons eventhough I wanted to ditch the teles at few occasions...)
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

I have a pair of Bomb Squads, and although I've only been out on them one day, I can answer a few of your questions.

These skis are super light- it's the first thing out of every one of my friends' mouths when they picked them up for the first time. The flex is fairly even throughout, I'd say they're a 6/10 on the "flex scale". The rocker isn't drastic- it's a nice, even rockered tip that starts a little farther up the ski than other skis I've been on (S7 and ON3P Billy Goats). The ski definitely has some pop to it, but not so much snap that it'll throw you around. I skied them in pretty deep, light snow and they were very pivoty and easy to turn- but were easy to make big super-G turns as well.

I haven't skied the Ski Logik Howitzers, but I've flexed them and handled them quite a bit, and I think the Howitzers are a tad stiffer, and maybe a touch more lively. However, they're also a smaller ski so they'd fit a bit differently in a quiver.

I'm in CO too, so if you want to swing by to check out my Bomb Squads, let me know... I'd say you could take them out for a few runs, but I have Dukes on them and I see you're a free-heeler. I don't think you can go wrong with these skis- not that it matters, but they're some of the nicest looking, best made skis out there too.