Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    First off: Nice TR (esp the song references) and good beacon work!

Now onto my own agenda

I've been researching doggie beacons for a while now, and (song ref) still haven't found what I'm looking for. (song ref)

I have found only the Arva Bip and the Ortovox D1 as far as transmit only transceivers. As far as I can tell both of these operate on the standard 457mh signal (or whatever it is) and as much as I love my dogs, I would prefer to find my wife first if they were all three buried! Or for that matter to be found first. Even though I am sure my dogs would lay down their life for me, I choose to be selfish!

Does anyone know of another transmit only beacon that operates on a separate frequency? I know Snow Dog posted about on a little over a year ago... but my search skills are rusty

I thought an AVy expert was the kid who knew how to thread the movie camera.
    Can we stop whining and windging now?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by tibaher
    First off: Nice TR (esp the song references) and good beacon work!

Now onto my own agenda

I've been researching doggie beacons for a while now, and (song ref) still haven't found what I'm looking for. (song ref)

I have found only the Arva Bip and the Ortovox D1 as far as transmit only transceivers. As far as I can tell both of these operate on the standard 457mh signal (or whatever it is) and as much as I love my dogs, I would prefer to find my wife first if they were all three buried! Or for that matter to be found first. Even though I am sure my dogs would lay down their life for me, I choose to be selfish!

Does anyone know of another transmit only beacon that operates on a separate frequency? I know Snow Dog posted about on a little over a year ago... but my search skills are rusty
    http://www.sos-find.com/ - sled bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

thanks.8910

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen
    I thought an AVy expert was the kid who knew how to thread the movie camera.
    You probably need to be above a certain age to get this one. I imagine there aren't many movie projectors in schools these days. That sucks, too. Kids will never know the joy caused when the teacher lets you watch a movie backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    You probably need to be above a certain age to get this one. I imagine there aren't many movie projectors in schools these days. That sucks, too. Kids will never know the joy caused when the teacher lets you watch a movie backwards.
    I always enjoyed the times the teacher fucked up and melted the film.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

One mistake does not a "lousy Avy expert" make. Very experienced people get caught all of the time, more likely to put themselves into questionable situations.

If I may add, and I'm guilty of this myself, it's easy to sit in front of the computer saying "you shoudn't have skied it" or "I wouldn't have skied it" but I bet many would have different actions had we been contemplating dropping into that nice untracked shot.

Kudos to duph for communicating it to us so well.

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd
    Once winter learns how to operate a beacon with paws she will be the perfect BC buddy! That dog will be ever loyal!
    on a slightly related note - if people are going to regularly take dogs (any mutt included) into the BC, wouldn't some avalanche find & seek type training be good for them too? even if they aren't going to become pro avie dogs, it still could be helpful, provided they aren't buried themselves like poor winter.

not that this will help me any cause my Rott is far from the smart type like the one who dialed 911 and unlocked the door for the paramedics, he's lucky if he can find his own ass to lick.
    current ventures:

<<| Downhill-Divas |>> social network for women's mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding!
    twitter.com/elisabethos
    Adventures in Search & Social Marketing
    ...pmgear...

I'm amazed you had the presence of mind to take all those photos...

You'll appreciate the next tour with winter all the more now....enjoy.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Great post, and nobody should hesitate posting this sort of thing. The knowledge is very valuable. The american whitewater affiliation keeps a database of accidents and deaths, so that others may learn from it- e.g. the geographic hazards of a particular rapid or river.
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles
    Thanks for posting -- A learning experience for all.

I don't know what an "Avy expert is". I do know that well educated skiers do get caught in slides. I'm not sure that it makes much of a difference, but an error is judgement is very different than a lack of knowledge.
    Ain't that the truth. It's funny how people on this site diss the BC jongs, but time after time the statistics show that it's experienced skiers that get caught in slides and they almost always make some error in judgement. The experience often clouds proper judgement. By the same token, the days when I had no idea what I was doing and would ski a saturated 45 degree slopes at 4 pm on a 60 degree day were filled with ignorant bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    It is now called Media Lab in middle and high school.

Was anyone in the AV club?

Thanks for posting, always good to get a reminder to keep your head up always. Glad it ended like it did.

Good idea giving the dog a beacon. Good thing she did not have to turn hers on to look for you. Great TR

Again, thanks for sharing. Rarely do you read first hand accounts with as much depth of emotion.

But I have a bone to pick with the board. So, snowfire posts a TR earlier this season, including various precautions they took, and gets flambed by the board. Yet duph makes several critical mistakes that many people are ignoring or justifying with the "even experience people blah, blah, blah". Seems like a bullshit double standard.

Two more rants:
    Yes, experienced people do get caught in avys, because they are unpredictable. However, some avalanches are more predictable than others.

Also, I get concerned when people say "well the [CAIC] rose said X, you should have known conditions were going to be bad". With the weather pattern that Colorado had in the past week, you should KNOW what the "rose" is going to be. Even an idiot like me knew what the avalanche report was going to be before it loaded. The rose is a great resource, but people need to stick their heads out the window and use the grey matter.
    A lot of people earn their turns. Some just get bigger checks.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc

* I mean for this to be a discussion and not turn into a flame war. Let's keep it at that.
    Exactly, there are lessons we can all learn from here in.

Duph - I thought that was a cool post. That's one huge-ass second chance. It humbling to me, for sure. wow.

Everyone have a safe winter! -Rock
    "When restraint and courtesy are added to strength, the latter becomes irresistible."
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Keoni
    It is now called Media Lab in middle and high school.

Was anyone in the AV club?
    And here I thought you were in the Labia Med in school.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I don't remember the snowfire incident that Mountain Junkie referred to. What happened there?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    I don't remember the snowfire incident that Mountain Junkie referred to. What happened there?
    Basom thought she looked a bit like Christina Ricci and tried to project an Avalanche Safety movie onto her forehead.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    here

but I like roo's answer better.

Jeez........that was a scary as hell TR.
    Way to be in the aftermath though.
    Glad things are okay.

Give the dog the good food, out of the can, tonight.

Actually, just get her a steak.
    Last edited by bigsugar; 12-02-2004 at 03:09 PM.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Ireallyliketoski
    Ain't that the truth. It's funny how people on this site diss the BC jongs, but time after time the statistics show that it's experienced skiers that get caught in slides and they almost always make some error in judgement. The experience often clouds proper judgement. By the same token, the days when I had no idea what I was doing and would ski a saturated 45 degree slopes at 4 pm on a 60 degree day were filled with ignorant bliss.
    Let's not forget Bayes Law here*. THe most experienced people are the ones out there every day, so they're more likely to be involved when bad stuff going down. Probably does have something to do with the positive reinforcement loop, but I wouldn't be sloughing off the first hand knowledge that experienced BC travellers have just b/c they too are human and make errors.

*p(B|A) = p(A|B)p(B)/p(A)

Quote Originally Posted by bad_roo
    Basom thought she looked a bit like Christina Ricci and tried to project an Avalanche Safety movie onto her forehead.
    Ah, that explains it. Did he try to dig her pits as well?

thanks, homerjay

WOW...lesson learned...goood to know everyone made it out and your dog is alright...becareful out there