Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Glad you and the pooch are okay. You're very lucky to be alive, though, that seems like a classic "no-go" situation, and you went.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz
    A question - what would have alerted SARS and the police to the slide? You and your dog got out fairly quickly and you were there by yourself. Does the beacon alert the authorities in search mode? BC jong question.
    That slide is quite visible from Highway 9 and you could see the ski tracks into it. Somebody obviously called it in. A guy I work with lives real close to Duph and was checking out the slide through his binoculars. He actual saw Duph standing at the base of the slide and saw the helicopter circling so he knew that SAR was dispatched.
    Old's Cool.

Holy crap! Scary reading.

Glad you came out of that one OK - both of you.

It's easy to be judgemental and say "I would never do something like that", but this is something that could happen to many of us, in one way or another. All too easy to "forget" your avalanche knowledge on a bluebird day...
    It's a story that is necessary to tell and I'm glad you live to tell it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit
    That slide is quite visible from Highway 9 and you could see the ski tracks into it. Somebody obviously called it in. A guy I work with lives real close to Duph and was checking out the slide through his binoculars. He actual saw Duph standing at the base of the slide and saw the helicopter circling so he knew that SAR was dispatched.
    Thanks. Achems Razor (simplist solution is probably the right one).
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

wow duph, i think everyone learned a lesson from that one. Events like that help us grow. Im sitting here in school and nearly shed a tear reading that cause i thought "where winter eventually met her fate" meant that she was lost for good.

I respect anyone who admits their mistakes, especially when in a scenerio such as this. I think everyone who reads this thread will take away something that will help in their own decision making. Thanks for sharing with honesty your mistakes and your story.

You made me cry!

In Winter's eyes you saved her and she'll love you unquestioningly (as dogs do). Take care out there and let this be a warning to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Roo
    You made me cry!

In Winter's eyes you saved her and she'll love you unquestioningly (as dogs do). Take care out there and let this be a warning to all.
    Do you love me unquestioningly?

Are you calling her a dog?

No. But she does have a wet nose.

Just means she's healthy.

Duph,

Glad you and Winter are ok.

Thanks for sharing. This is a refreshing look at a mistake you made. Most people are not willing to take such an inward look at such a mistake. I know I am taking something from this and I am sure all others are.

I hope to see you out there soon.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    Just means she's healthy.
    i normally smell her ass just to make sure.

doh!

Thanks for your brutal honesty - took more balls than the sickest, steepest line anyone here will ever ski.

Glad your pup is o.k. and that her wearing a beacon worked this time. We could so easily have been reading how the heli crew only found your body after having pulled her from the snow first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Thanks for sharing this.

This one hits home because I frequently ski alone with my pooch. And I will continue to do so, but very conservatively as always.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman
    Are you calling her a dog?
    she's a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinner
    Best TR ever!
    ditto
    glad you're both still alive
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Damn,

That one was scary.
    Glad your pup made it out and - more important - you managed to escape.
    Close relatives and friends of mine did not - stay safe!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by UTdave
    she's a bitch.
    Now there's an observation.

Great post. I was wondering what had happened up there. Glad the dog is ok. I have an Arva Bip I keep on one of my pooches too. Not a bad investment for less than $90 bucks. Quandary in general has mellow slopes but there is a couple of steeper shots. That peak has killed in the past before, and it's usually this time of year. Glad to hear you were ok, and obviously you practice with your beacon and probe. Nice work

Very glad to hear both you and Winter are ok!!

I appreciate you taking the time to share this experience with us, as I certainly took away good information from reading that.

Very intense, I can't imagine. I am so glad you had a beacon on your dog, Winter thanks you too.

I takes a good man to admit their mistakes and an even better man to share with others the details of those mistakes.

You and Winter are alive and that is something to cherish. As a BC jong, that story was both eye opening and informative.

Buzz
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

duph, IMHO, no one should even think about flaming you over this.

Sometimes, as in this case, no one can be harder on you than you are on yourself (or something like that).

I am really really glad you both came out ok.

Although in retrospect you made a mistake by going out that day, you have clearly learned a lesson about making assumptions and judging odds based on past experiences; it doesn't work.

You put winter at risk, but you also saved her life and you have clearly given her a great life by bringing her into the b/c with you.

Greatest TR EVER!

Thanks for posting that.

Very happy to hear the happy ending duph. Glad all is Ok.

Now I know that it is time to get back on the horse, and I'm confident that you will do it safely. Good lesson learned.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Absolutely terrifying. Glad that everyone is OK but I can't help but read all these trip reports day after day and think it's just a matter of time before we lose someone from this community. The odds are there and the further we progress tragedy free the more the odds are stacked against us. Please everyone be careful, powder isn't worth losing a little finger over let alone your life.