Dakine Sequence vs. Mission?

I'm looking at getting one of these two packs- I prefer something smaller, but I'm worried that the Mission won't hold everything that I need when the camera block is in the bag:

- Skins
    - Shovel
    - Probe
    - Extra gloves, other small items

Is there enough room on the Mission for these basic things, or is it too tight of a fit? It sounds like the Sequence is the better option, but I'd love to keep things smaller and lighter in the BC if possible.

I've gone through 2 dakine packs and my impression is that just about any technical brand beats them all around....osprey, f-stop, clik elite, etc...

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

I've been really happy with my Sequence. It looks bulky, but I hardly notice it while I'm skiing. I've also done a lot of long hikes and bike rides with it. It holds everything I need like extra gloves, extra layers of clothes, sunglasses, compact foodstuffs, all the tools I need, and all of my camera equipment. As far as durability, I've had no problems with it and I've had it for over two years and use it often. I've never tried the Mission so can't comment on it really. However, I've used some other non-camera specific packs to haul camera gear around and it was a pain in the ass. So much happier with my Sequence.

I also wanted to add that I've taken a couple of pretty good spills while wearing the Sequence and my gear came out completely unscathed.

Really? ^

I found if I used the camera block that came with the sequence, I had very little room for anything else.

My pack usually consists of:

- Avi gear
    - small first aid kit
    - extra layers
    - 2L of water
    - food
    - possibly crampons
    - assorted small stuff (sunglasses, knife, tape, etc)

The sequence if using the camera block could fit:
    - Extra layers
    - Avi gear
    - assorted small stuff
    - maybe 1L of water.

I found there just wasn't enough room for ski gear.

That said... a sequence with a small camera block would work pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post

The sequence if using the camera block could fit:
    - Extra layers
    - Avi gear
    - assorted small stuff
    - maybe 1L of water.
    That's more than enough room for me. Thanks, I'm going with the Sequence.

I've had a sequence for years and it's decent for just getting things around.....I CAN fit all my bc gear in it but it's not ideal and things end up sitting a little awkwardly.

I bought a burton f-stop pack last year and got about 15 days either hiking or sled skiing with it. It's light years better for carrying ski equipment around. Both hold your camera gear just fine but the burton is more of a real sporty backpack. My only complaint with it is that the tripod straps slip a little with a bunch of bouncing around but I figured out an easy way to deal with it.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably get one of the f-stop (as in f-stop brand) but at the time is was tough for me to buy a pack without seeing it first and the burton was around in shops.

I still use both packs but I'm going skiing the burton gets loaded with what I'm taking out on snow.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

skip dakine photo packs. Notorious zipper failure issues. While their CS is killer, and will replace faulty packs; it's a pain in the ass and does very little good when you are out shooting and can't get the zippers to work.

Wait, what? How many weeks of shit have you given me for talking about getting one of these packs?

Did Sarah hit you in the head again?
    You should have been here yesterday!

saaka! Guest
    I have used Dakine and Burton in my days, I found the Burton was a better fit for gear but of the two- the Dakine Sequence felt better on the back. i was not able to sled with the Dakine with out some jimmy rig system of inconvenience. It ended up with me riding with a Burton Ak pack and a Sequence strapped to my sled rack. that was my best system back then, I would just switch packs if it was photo time.

Quote Originally Posted by PowTron View Post
    Wait, what? How many weeks of shit have you given me for talking about getting one of these packs?

Did Sarah hit you in the head again?
    I was giving you shit about getting one? I don't remember that.

My attitude changed when I couldn't figure out a good way to carry the longer 70-200 f4L lens with me. If I didn't have a longer lens like that, I wouldn't need it, but it's virtually impossible to fit the camera block or f-stop's ICU in my existing packs.

I actually got my Sequence so I could carry my 70-200 also. The Sequence isn't an overnight pack or even a hardcore backcountry pack where you're going to need a multitude of tools and gear. However, I've found it works excellent for side and slack country day treks and holds enough extra clothing (socks and xtra thermal top fit above camera block, xtra bottoms go in the camera block padding big lens), all my camera equipment (4 lenses, cleaning supplies, extra batteries, hoods, tripod, my 5d, my G10, etc..), food and a litre and half of water (.75 litre bottles in each side zip) along with a small first aide kit, xtra gloves, leatherman, hand warmers, extra contact lenses/solution, sunglasses, etc... I've strapped the skis on the pack and have done some steep hikes and have carried a shovel with room left to spare for other equipment that could be attached to the pack.

I don't work for dakine or anything - I swear. I'm just really happy with my Sequence and it's done me good. Seems to have put up just fine with my abuse too. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

For all dakine's 'well known' zipper failures, I've had several surfboard, snowboard, and hiking bags/packs and never once had a zipper fail.

Sure one of them is probably flying off right now in my garage because I said that but still......
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by DeutschBag View Post
    I actually got my Sequence so I could carry my 70-200 also. The Sequence isn't an overnight pack or even a hardcore backcountry pack where you're going to need a multitude of tools and gear. However, I've found it works excellent for side and slack country day treks and holds enough extra clothing (socks and xtra thermal top fit above camera block, xtra bottoms go in the camera block padding big lens), all my camera equipment (4 lenses, cleaning supplies, extra batteries, hoods, tripod, my 5d, my G10, etc..), food and a litre and half of water (.75 litre bottles in each side zip) along with a small first aide kit, xtra gloves, leatherman, hand warmers, extra contact lenses/solution, sunglasses, etc... I've strapped the skis on the pack and have done some steep hikes and have carried a shovel with room left to spare for other equipment that could be attached to the pack.

I don't work for dakine or anything - I swear. I'm just really happy with my Sequence and it's done me good. Seems to have put up just fine with my abuse too. Perhaps I've just been lucky.
    THIS...exactly what I was thinking.
    You should have been here yesterday!

I have the Dakine Reload for a photo backpack. It is ginormous, but if you need to fit a ton of shit, it's a pretty good option.

how bout this?

http://www.rei.com/product/790729

Then get a small or medium f-stop ICU?
    My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.

I have a Dakine Ridge that I'd part with. Basically a Sequence. Price police can quote a fair price.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

i've got a dakine ridge i'd part with. basically a sequence. all zippers work fine. red.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

I have a Sequence pack that I've hauled out the Arm at Baker 6 times in a day, last lap was to hour glass and then managed one more up and over Hemi's to finish the day. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Will I pick up an F-stop pack when I get a chance? Yep!

The sequence didn't manage a load all that well with a body and two lenses, I've picked up a 24-70 f2.8L since last season and I dread packing that lens around but it will make up for it in images I'm sure. I can fit all my avy gear, about 1.5 liters of water in two smaller bottles, a little bit of food and some extra little things (goggle, sunglasses, small 10-essential/1st aid kit, etc.). I don't think I could fit skins inside and there's no way I could make it over night or on a long day that needed more food.

Hi, Anyone know where I can buy a dakine camera block or what is a good block that fits a dakine mission backpack that can be recomended?

http://www.dakine.com/mobile/surf/surfproduct6.html

sebastianeriksson82@hotmail.com