Least Favorite Bars

DownBoundRootVegetable's post in the[ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207302"] All Time Favorite Bars[/ame] about worst bars made me think we need a thread for this. They can be bad bars you hate or bars so bad they end up becoming fun, whatever just really bad bars.

Mine is the "Packing House" (also known as the Packer) in Lyndonville, VT. I believe it may now be defunct.

Take a bad dance club, redneck bar, high school dance and college bar, mix in a blender, make it smell of stale beer and then house it all in an old meat packing plant. It was inevitable that every Wednesday night (College night, 18 to get it, 21 to drink) they would, in the midst of what seemed like a circa 1997 "Now thats what I call Music" CD, play "Cotton Eyed Joe" and the whole place would go fucking nuts.

I was there at least once a week, partially because it was the only place around to drink w/ girls, but also because it was so bad that it was actually sort of fun.

Runners up would be any bar that pretends to be somewhat nice, charges over ~7 for a drink and then serves it in a plastic cup. I'm looking at you Ambrosia in Syracuse (also defunct). Seriously those types of places are just bad and can eat a bag of dicks.
    Last edited by dumpy; 12-03-2010 at 01:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

"Pampas" in Palo Alto - I don't know if they were going for irony in their name, but sheesh. Maybe the problem is Palo Alto?!?
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

went on a pub crawl with some buds & stopped in the Sunrise hotel corner of hasting & main the downtown eastside of vancover ... there was all weather carpet on the walls

I sat with my back to the wall figuring if anything happened I could jump from that table to that table and be out the door real quick

J.G. Melon's - NYC: Preppy ghey (in the soy type) bar full of pretentious imbeciles.

Like "sure, you went to Harvard".
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    J.G. Melon's - NYC: Preppy ghey (in the soy type) bar full of pretentious imbeciles.

Ah, so thats where Old Larry drinks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Does anyone actually drink there?

It is super douche-tastic, but those are some fucking good bacon cheeseburgers.

Ship's bar in Kodiak. They would stop serving at 5am, but you could get 2 drinks to tide you over until 6am, when they started serving again. Sometimes, the bartender when sweep around the patrons, but usually just didn't bother. If you get passed out drunk and crapped yourself on the park bench outside, you could go right back in when you woke up and no one would notice. They also wouldn't clean the barstool off after you sat in it in you shatty pants. They had lukewarm Oly, but most patrons just drank straight PA vodka.

Livin' the dream.
    Living vicariously through myself.

The Wine Cellar- Fitchburg, MA

Went there day after my 21st birthday. Guy checking IDs at the door says mine is fake, then let's in my 19 year old friend w/ huge tits and fake ID. A minute later, says I can come in, so I go in and order a drink. Then he walks up to me and says "Usually when I do someone a favor and let them in with a fake they toss some $ my way.." what a douchenozzle. Mixture of junkies and hookers made up the clientele. Awful place.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Does Melon's count as a bar? You'd probably love Campbell Apartment.

I always thought of it as a bar first, then a restaurant. I haven't been in NYC for a long time, but you could say the same for The Palm, Stringfellows, The Iguana, and even Trader Vick's. Problem is, I drank at all of them, but rarely ate at any (other than The Palm)What is Campbell Apartment?
    I dunno, when I read the OP, J.G. Melon immediately came to mind.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Well there is a bar there, certainly, and you don't like it. So it qualifies.

But the bacon cheeseburgers are awesome.

Snake and Jakes Christmas Club Lounge, in New Orleans.

The shittiest, but also the most awesome bar ever. Cats around, wild dogs and dog shit on the floor, everyone from tulane professors to drug dealers.

friend asked if they had anything to eat, the bartender offered the 3 day old cold takeout pizza remains at the end of the bar. he obliged.

if you sit naked at the bar you get free drinks, so you get homeless guys naked in there

awesome place, but absolutely terrible

vancouver is generally shitty, most could convert to a restraunt overnight. Table service everywhere, no mingiling, never crowded. A lot don't serve pitchers, many that do you get 3 glasses out of it.

some on commerical or hastings are fun. other than that id rather eat a bucket of dicks while cutting myself and crying in the dark over a lost can of crushed asshole.

Pierce Street Annex - Tahoe City
    (Is it still there? Been about 15 years since I was there)
    They would cut people off after 2 drinks on a regular basis. Assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipig25 View Post
    Snake and Jakes Christmas Club Lounge, in New Orleans.

The shittiest, but also the most awesome bar ever. Cats around, wild dogs and dog shit on the floor, everyone from tulane professors to drug dealers.

friend asked if they had anything to eat, the bartender offered the 3 day old cold takeout pizza remains at the end of the bar. he obliged.

if you sit naked at the bar you get free drinks, so you get homeless guys naked in there

awesome place, but absolutely terrible
    I was visiting some people in NO and they took us here. Don't remember much other than nasty couches, dogs and Christmas lights. When we drove up, my local friend told us to go right in and not linger outside. Sweet neighborhood.
    if i had a hammer...i'd hammer your face.

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Then he walks up to me and says "Usually when I do someone a favor and let them in with a fake they toss some $ my way.." what a douchenozzle. Mixture of junkies and hookers made up the clientele. Awful place.
    Went out with a buddy the night before his 21st birthday and tried to meet up with some girls at the Border Cafe in Cambridge, MA at about 11:30. The bouncer looks at my buddy's ID and says, You're not 21 for another half-hour. We tried to sweet-talk him, but no dice- my friend can't go in for thirty minutes. He says he's cool to hang outside, so I go in. At the stroke of midnight, having just turned 21, he hands his ID to the bouncer, who without even looking hands it back and says "This is expired."

This place: The Gay Bar.

Talk about false advertising and a huge letdown all rolled into one!

Pauly's Shack, Memphis, TN...

The place was the last stop on the road out of Memphis on the way to West Memphis, AR so the West Memphis redneck crowd, which was 100 times worse than the Memphis redneck crowd would go there. A license to sell beer in Memphis at the time cost like $20 but you had to serve food so this place had a cooler full of beer and a jar of pickled eggs on the bar. The owner's retarded son would sit in his car outside the front door with a shotgun to guard the place.
    The Sheriff is near!

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    The Wine Cellar- Fitchburg, MA

Went there day after my 21st birthday. Guy checking IDs at the door says mine is fake, then let's in my 19 year old friend w/ huge tits and fake ID. A minute later, says I can come in, so I go in and order a drink. Then he walks up to me and says "Usually when I do someone a favor and let them in with a fake they toss some $ my way.." what a douchenozzle. Mixture of junkies and hookers made up the clientele. Awful place.
    Not to mention owned by my friends father who is a F-town cop. I like this kid but his father and that place can go to fucking hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Shrub likes it...

The bar in Nass Camp.

When it rained, the roof leaked through the ceiling. But rather than fix the holes, they just put up some gutters hanging from the ceiling to divert the water into the drains. There were areas that started out as soft spots due to water damage, but then became holes in the floor. The were marked with pylons and Tuck Tape so you didn't step in them. It smelled like a combination of mildew, urine, stale beer, damp cigarette butts, and despair.

But you could get off-sales there. You could get Budweiser. 6-packs, 12's, 15's, 24's, in bottles or cans. Or you could get Tall Cans. People would actually stand there and debate whether they wanted bottles or cans. Or should I get the Tall Cans?

I almost got the crap kicked out of me by a great big Native guy. Turned out to be the Chief of the fire department. He ended up being a nice guy.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

So you didnt like it up the Nass ?

If yer ever up here in july you should come to crab fest,its at the mouth of the Nass eh?

Who doesn't like going to the Nass?

I missed crab fest. Was there from August to November. Nice country. Shitty bar. But it didn't stop me from drinkin.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

973 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston.

They ruined a college bar (T's Pub) by turning it into a fern bar. Sports memorabilia, BU hockey cartoons, Buck Hunter/Golden Tee/pinball machines, cracked toilets, $1 Shaeffer beers, random strange guys drinking at the bar, trivia Thursday where d-bag fatheads yell out the answers, karaoke Tuesdays filled with drunken coeds -- all gone. Replaced by black & white prints of 1920s New York, futuristic lighting fixtures and appletinis. Upscale bars do not belong near a college campus. Latest I heard is that the experiment is over and the misguided owner sold the place and T's Pub is coming back. Let's hope they restore it to its former glory.

Still available:
    [ame]http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95727[/ame]

________