Best Big Mtn (Snowbird) resort ski?

I'm 5' 11" 155 lbs looking for a new ski, ski mostly at Snowbird. I like Ski Logik Howitzer and Volkl Katana so far but what else should I look at?

Any of the skis designated "Editor's Choice" in the 2011 Backcountry Gear Guide.

This is more about how you ski than anything.

Give us some more backround? Racer? Charger? Huck cliffs? How many years on sticks? Etc etc etc....

I grew up in Utah and started skiing at 8 yrs old, 42 yrs old now and ski 20 days a winter mostly at Snowbird on Powder days. I still ski hard and fast but have slowed a little, cliff jumping days are limited to 10-25' cliffs on deep powder days when the conditions are right. My everyday ski right now is a Fischer Watea 94 (94 mm waist) in 186 cm, too small width wise for deep powder but a fun ski. I also have a 194 cm Stockli Stormrider (Scot Schmidt Pro with a 91 mm waist) that is too heavy/long for a every day ski at my weight but is a amazing groomer/crud ski.
    Last edited by SLCUTAH; 12-03-2010 at 10:09 AM.

Get some S7s like everybody else in the tram line

I do see a lot of S7's and hear good things about them as well, my brother just bought a pair of Surface Live Life (191 cm 156-120-135) which I don't know much about.

Prophet 115?

SFB?
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by F.D.V. View Post

SFB?
    I reccomend the SEARCH JONG MODEL
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

K2 Luv Bugs

Yup, and that one...

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    It's the same argument for prostitution. There's a lot of people in this world who won't be getting laid unless they pay big bucks or fuck an artificial life form. No amount of consolation, pity or comiserating is going to change that reality.
    Slaughter is the best medicine.

ha ha FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

do you like your scott schmitttt pro skis? I mean how stiff and the turn radius, if so you should look for something of that nature but fat you're in LCC for hells sake.
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

The funniest part about this thread is that the guy says he's been skiing here his whole life...you'd think by now he'd have skied a TON of skis and know EXACTLY what he wanted.

Oh well never hurts to ask i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SLCUTAH View Post
    I'm 5' 11" 155 lbs looking for a new ski, ski mostly at Snowbird. I like Ski Logik Howitzer and Volkl Katana so far but what else should I look at?
    Let's C,...I can only think of 69 different skis that would work well for you, but damn I'm out of time now...
    "People ask us to take them skiing, and I'm like, 'REALLY'? I mean if you want to get in an avalanche or just die somehow, then, YEAH, come with US!" - Nathan Wallace

TheDon, My Scot Schmidt Pro skis ski like old school (90's) GS race skis except they are wider. They are great for crud and groomers but dive in deep snow.

Skidog, I (Scot Chipman) have been skiing in Utah since I was eight. I don't spend time trying skis, just buy new ones every few years based reviews and recommendations which is what I'm asking for now. If I had to make my decesion now I would buy the Ski Logik Howitzer.

im not sure....nobody ever asks about the best skis for snowbird...
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Go with your gut do the Howitzer. The shape is is money, it has a nice medium radius so it'll track well for the bird's terrain. The waist is fat enough for a good pow ski and still will be a good daily driver. Plus on the super hard days pull out the Schmits. You're set my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by SLCUTAH View Post
    If I had to make my decision now I would buy the Ski Logik Howitzer.
    There is a pair up in Gear Swap now.

I skied lotus 120's about 60 days at the bird last year and thought they were pretty tits. if you like a deep-snow ski that can rail groomers, they the ones, yo.

Dynastar XXL

Most commonly found skis in the tram line (not in any order):
    1) Rossi S7
    2) Dynastar XXLs

Pick one!

If you want to be different choose one of these:

1) Praxis Pows. I skied my Praxis Pows close to 70% of the sesaon, and loved them, although if I had the choice, I'd probably take the Protests.
    2) Moment Bibbys. Probably one of the most versatile, super fun skis I've ever been on.
    3) Lib Tech NAS Pow Recurve. Magna Traction works. Plain and simple. And this ski kills it in all conditions
    4) PM Gear Lhasa Pows. This ski is becoming more and more popular and for good reason. It does EVERYTHING well.

If you can't choose though, I would go with SkiFishBum's advice. The Search JONG Model will definitely help round out your quiver.

I ended up getting a sweet deal on the Surface Live Life (191cm - 156-120-135) www.surfaceskis.com/gear/hardgoods.html and love them so far.