Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    lewes dairy egg nog, gods gift, on the rocks with bourbon, oh my my...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    I think it's pretty much safe to drink immediately, but you won't have the added insurance of the 3 weeks' worth of anti-microbial alcohol exposure. If you can find pasteurized eggs (I think "Safest Choice" is the brand name?), you'd be all set. I saw this bit on pasteurizing at home, which might be worth a shot: http://dawnviola.com/how-to-pasteuri...t-home-2-ways/

I wouldn't be skeeved out by it, but then, I'll make homemade mayonnaise with fresh raw egg, too. And uncooked meringue (I actually put it on top of the eggnog). If you're serving to immunocompromised or elderly people, I might be a little more careful.

FWIW, I'm taking bottles overseas with me next week, and they'll spend at least 15-18 hours out of the fridge between the time we leave home and the time we get to where we're staying. I'm not at all worried about that.

I tasted this year's batch a few nights ago, and it was very good (after three weeks). I had a little bit of last year's batch right after, and it was freakin' delicious. It's probably just the high alcohol content, but it actually numbs my mouth a little bit (in a good way!). It's going to be tough to make that batch last through the month...
    Sorry, I am going to be a nerd here. I like to use sous vide frequently, so I may just heat the custard to 140 in a bag. Would definitely be the safer option. I know many people, however, that leave their eggs out at room temperature. Constantly. I am taking "On Food and Cooking" on the plane tomorrow to see if he covered eggs.

So, after the aging, you heat up how much milk and cream, and then add the egg mixture? I got selfish, so it won't be going in the luggage. Wifey are drinking it all.

Also, did you say you're drinking some from LAST YEAR? Did you age your egg mixture, or did you mix it last year?
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Sorry, I am going to be a nerd here. I like to use sous vide frequently, so I may just heat the custard to 140 in a bag. Would definitely be the safer option. I know many people, however, that leave their eggs out at room temperature. Constantly. I am taking "On Food and Cooking" on the plane tomorrow to see if he covered eggs.

So, after the aging, you heat up how much milk and cream, and then add the egg mixture? I got selfish, so it won't be going in the luggage. Wifey are drinking it all.

Also, did you say you're drinking some from LAST YEAR? Did you age your egg mixture, or did you mix it last year?
    If you want to drink soon (and don't want to wait for the 3 weeks of salmonella-killing magic), you can use a cooked eggnog recipe: http://ruhlman.com/2009/12/excellent...appy-new-year/ or http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...g-recipe2.html

Based on those, it looks like 160 is the magic number. If you want to go turbo-nerd, you could probably look at a time and temp pasteurization chart to figure out how long at 140 will be enough. I think it's probably on the order of an hour or so. Interesting discussion here: http://cooking.stackexchange.com/que...e-in-the-shell

My eggnog recipe (linked elsewhere, but it's http://ruhlman.com/2013/11/friday-co...r-aged-eggnog/) isn't cooked at any point. It's just mix it up (eggs, sugar, cream, milk, booze, salt - all of it), store it cold for 3+ weeks, and away you go. When I serve it, I make a fresh meringue, and grate nutmeg on top. Sometimes I skip the meringue, but it really does help to lighten it up a little bit.

I saved 1.5 litres from last winter (same batch, just kept in a separate set of bottles in a fridge all year), and my plan is to save one of those 750 ml bottles for next year. Then I'll put back about 2 L of this year's batch for next year and the year after, and maybe a little for the year after that. I'll see if 3 years is any better than 2 is any better than 1, but 1 is tastier than 0, so it looks like a good trend.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    I know many people, however, that leave their eggs out at room temperature. Constantly.
    If you mean a few people as in the rest of the world then yeah.
    The US is the only county that sells refrigerated eggs, everywhere else you find them on regular shelves.

There is nothing wrong with eating raw eggs unless you have a weak immune system. I grew up drinking egg nog for breakfast everyday. One raw egg, some whole milk, sugar and a little vanilla tossed in a blender makes a great breakfast shake.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    If you mean a few people as in the rest of the world then yeah.
    The US is the only county that sells refrigerated eggs, everywhere else you find them on regular shelves.
    I think it's because USDA requires the eggs to be washed in a particular way that removes (or destroys?) the natural coating on the egg, which means that it becomes more porous, and more vulnerable to environmental factors.

TTT. Uncooked eggnog is looking incredible. This may be a new tradition!
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Alright, which one of you dumbasses was this?

http://www.wthr.com/story/27693280/u...owns-on-eggnog

Having my first glass of the nog this season and I'm fkna stoked! They only had the light version at the store when I was there because they hadn't even finished resetting the shelves yet for nog season but I'm sure they'll have the full strength stuff soon. Either way, I'm freaking loving it with the Old Grandad 114!

Also, I have 2 pint size mason jars of last year's raw nog that have been aging in the beer fridge since last season. Can't wait to break into those little lovelies and see how the 2015 treated them.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Also, I have 2 pint size mason jars of last year's raw nog that have been aging in the beer fridge since last season. Can't wait to break into those little lovelies and see how the 2015 treated them.
    Nice, that's impressive commitment Cruiser!

The Organic Valley brand eggnog has ruined me. Other than select homemade stuff, it is the only nog I can drink now. So fucking delicious. Highly recommend if you haven't tried it. The Mrs. surprised me with the first pint of season today, just arrived at our local grocer.

My girlfriend has been making alton browns regular recipe for years. I just sent her this aged recipe. Cant Wait! I dunno how any of you guys drink the stuff from a cardboard jug. Once youve had the homemade there is no comparison.

I just saw it in the supermarket today. It is one of the few times that I'm happy to be reminded that I'm lactose intolerant. I did however see almond and soy egg nog, which has me a tad curious.

Jealous. I'm finding being in the South, Nog season is a solid 4 weeks behind here.

Give me United Dairy Farmers Nog any day of the week. Assholes on FB have already been posting that it's out.
    I still call it The Jake.

I luv me sum Nog
    watch out for snakes

Promised Land is good stuff.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    I just saw it in the supermarket today. It is one of the few times that I'm happy to be reminded that I'm lactose intolerant. I did however see almond and soy egg nog, which has me a tad curious.
    Almond and soy nog is gross.

So delicious coconut nog, however, is AMAZING.

Synthetic nog!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Synthetic nog!!!
    That's a great band name.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Almond and soy nog is gross.

So delicious coconut nog, however, is AMAZING.
    It had me curious but I can see it being gross. Coconut nog......?? I'll have to look for it. Or should I make it?

doughboyshredder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    It had me curious but I can see it being gross. Coconut nog......?? I'll have to look for it. Or should I make it?
    Buy it. So Delicious is the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    Buy it. So Delicious is the brand.
    I know that brand. If the almond and soy versions are out that should be too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1446483511.194713.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	171070
    I love Montoya rum!

Barf.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Made five quarts last week and will probably make another five at the end of the month. Ill be popping open one of the two quarts I saved from last year at our Ullr party this Friday.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Made the monthly resupply run to Costco, grabbed a 1/2 gallon of eggnog. Yum
    watch out for snakes