Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    When in Pennsylvania, gotta have Pennsylvania Dutch egg nog and lager!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4165.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	260121

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    When in Pennsylvania, gotta have Pennsylvania Dutch egg nog and lager!

Name:	IMG_4165.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	260121
    What/Where is that bar?

At Fire Hall in Northampton, PA.

Gotta love PA fire halls......Northampton probably is a good one....long time Koncrete Kid locals probably make a mean egg nog shot.

Another fire hall classic is pickle shots.....

Boyfriend is from Northampton so we come to visit his family and friends ever 2-3 weeks.
    Proud to say I’m the first Asian female member at Northampton Fire Hall.
    Making a history. lol

It's that time of the year when my wife buys a carton of eggnog that sits in the refrigerator unopened until Easter.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's that time of the year when my wife buys a carton of eggnog that sits in the refrigerator unopened until Easter.
    Dibs. Ship to Canada?
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Made Ruhlman's recipe this year - did Alton Brown's last year - and holy shit it's boozy. I've let it age for 30 days and it's still boozy as hell. I mean I love me some bourbon but this is like bourbon + eggs. Anyone else get that? (To be fair I haven't served it with meringue on top). Alton's seemed much more balanced. Thoughts?
    Anyone have a preference between Rulhlman's and Alton's? If so, why? And which one is better aged? This was my experience two years ago, but wanted to check in the masses. Planning on making some nog over New Year's, some of which will be consumed, some of which will be aged for 9+ months probably.

For reference, here are the recipes:
    http://ruhlman.com/2014/11/holiday-classic-aged-eggnog/
    https://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/
    https://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/egg-nog/ - haven't made it, and he doesn't separate the yolks/whites, but he also has a Tequila/Sherry Nog, and he knows what he's doing behind the bar.

I don’t have an answer to that comparison- my first batch of Rulhman’s recipe is aging at the moment. But I came across this article on Punch that has a good rundown of the history and a bunch of links. The only major one missing seems to be the Cook’s Illustrated recipe.

https://punchdrink.com/articles/age-...ht-modern-nyc/

Breaking open the first batch I made three weeks ago. I expect all three gallons to be consumed tonight and tomorrow.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I don’t have an answer to that comparison- my first batch of Rulhman’s recipe is aging at the moment. But I came across this article on Punch that has a good rundown of the history and a bunch of links. The only major one missing seems to be the Cook’s Illustrated recipe.

https://punchdrink.com/articles/age-...ht-modern-nyc/
    Awesome - thanks!

Planning to do a batch of Alton Brown's and Morgenthaler's - drinking it fresh as well as aging it for 2-12 months. Pics to follow...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Breaking open the first batch I made three weeks ago. I expect all three gallons to be consumed tonight and tomorrow.
    jealous !

am having to have mine tonight with Christmas in the rear view mirror as no one else was a believer in it; everyone was trying to impress with their wine; eggnog has been given the boot around my fam.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    jealous !

am having to have mine tonight with Christmas in the rear view mirror as no one else was a believer in it; everyone was trying to impress with their wine; eggnog has been given the boot around my fam.
    Homemade boozy aged nog is a different drink than people know to expect, IME. About have to cajole people into it. “I’ll try just a little..... Wow, that’s not at all what I expected” is a common refrain.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    jealous !

I’m happy to report that I only have 3 quarts left from my first three gallon batch. I gather more would’ve been consumed but many of us had to work the day after Christmas.

So, I have 3 3/4 gallons to age. All the better because last year’s batch didn’t make it to Christmas.

That’s MR bitchass. Got it?

Name:  tumblr_p1ajjcCQj21vnghdeo1_12801.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  116.2 KB
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Just came across this recipe. Thought maybe you eggnog fans might be interested:

Salted Bourbon Caramel–Cured Egg Yolks with Vanilla Ice Cream

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
    by Tim Chin

Egg yolks add richness to (and improve the texture of) countless desserts—everything from cakes and cookies to crème brȗlée and ice cream. We are very comfortable with egg yolks in our desserts. But what happens if we put an egg yolk on dessert? At Smyth Restaurant in Chicago, the kitchen offers a dish of a yolk lightly cured in salted licorice syrup served atop a yogurt meringue. At first blush it’s a jarring concept—but the textures and flavors come across as familiar. That dessert inspired us to try curing egg yolks in a salted caramel and using them to top ice cream. The exteriors of the yolks develop a thin, fudgy, caramel-like shell, while the interiors stay soft and runny. And the yolk and caramel sauce ooze over the ice cream adding a decadent layer of richness.

We love custard-based ice cream, which is already rich in egg yolks, and we're big fans of salted caramel in desserts. This recipe combines lots of familiar (and delicious!) flavors and textures in a surprising package. And because all the work is done ahead of time, serving this innovative dessert to your soon-to-be-wowed guests is as easy as scooping ice cream.

In-shell pasteurized eggs can also be used without any changes to the recipe. You can use the leftover caramel to cure another batch of egg yolks. Or try the caramel in your coffee, mixed into cocktails, or drizzled on ice cream. The small amount of corn syrup is insurance against crystallization when making the caramel.

MAKES 6 YOLKS

INGREDIENTS

2 cups (14 ounces) sugar
    ½ cup plus ⅓ cup water, divided
    1 tablespoon corn syrup
    ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons bourbon, divided
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    2 vanilla beans, sliced in half lengthwise, seeds scraped out (beans and seeds reserved together)
    6 large eggs
    vanilla ice cream

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Combine sugar, ½ cup water, and corn syrup in large saucepan and swirl saucepan until sugar is evenly moistened. Cook over high heat until mixture boils, starts to turn yellow in spots, and registers about 320 degrees F/160 degrees C, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, swirling saucepan occasionally, until mixture turns amber and registers 350 to 360 degrees F/177 to 182 degrees C, 2 to 4 minutes longer.

2. Carefully pour ½ cup bourbon, ⅓ cup water, salt, and vanilla beans and seeds into caramel mixture and swirl to incorporate (mixture will bubble and steam). Continue to cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute longer. Turn off heat and add remaining 2 tablespoons bourbon; stir to combine. (Cooking the first addition of bourbon evaporates some alcohol and mellows its flavor. This second addition is added off heat to retain some alcohol bite and add another layer of flavor to the caramel.) Strain caramel through fine-mesh strainer into loaf pan and let cool completely, 45 minutes to 1 hour; discard beans in strainer. (Caramel can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored at room temperature.)

3. Working with 1 egg at a time, crack eggs, separate yolks from whites, and carefully transfer yolks to pan with caramel. Wrap pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate until yolk exteriors are firm and translucent, at least 6 hours or up to 8 hours, using small spoon to gently flip yolks halfway through.

4. Place scoop of ice cream in each of 6 small bowls. Using back of small spoon, make small indentation in center of each scoop. Using small spoon, transfer 1 yolk to each indentation. Drizzle additional caramel over yolks and ice cream as desired. Serve.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

That's awesome KQ, thanks!

Name:	IMG_1830.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	263012

My batches. Made a full batch of Morgenthaler's and half batch of Brown's. Drank a fair bit of it, going to the age the rest for at least 3+ months. I like Morgenthaler's Tequilla-Sherry, but it's definitely a bit different. Curious to see how it ages.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’m pulling together materials to make a batch next week. I bought a few 32oz amber growlettes for gifting.

I still have a 750mL of last year’s batch, so I’m curious to see how it aged.

The fact that this thread is up on top annoys the fuck out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    The fact that this thread is up on top annoys the fuck out of me.
    To combine egg nog with the shit that annoys you thread... I was aging 3 gallons of egg nog in my beer fridge in the basement. While I was laid up with my tibial plateau fracture recovery, my son was so kind to fetch a beer out of the fridge for me. Well, the fridge door didn’t close all the way and the egg nog went bad. All three friggin gallons!

Well, fuck me, spanky. That is the saddest thing I've heard all week.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Guess I need to whip up a batch.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Name:	20191102_181929.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	300688

I know its pasteurized
    I dont need an intervention

This is like Christmas songs during leaf raking time.

Jesus Christ.