Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    iPad/smartphone/laptop=ski/snowboard/tele

whatever blows your skirt up, different strokes for different folks...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

angry birds, fruit ninja, netflix, lighter then carrying a laptop during travel.

I got one for my wife, she facebooks, reads/sends emails, and shops... pretty perfect.

We also are both really liking a lot of the apps, crosswords, news apps, bluetooth battleship.

It sits on our coffee table a lot of the time and we can just grab and surf as well.

I wasn't hot on the whole iPad idea when it first came out either, but I like having it around. It's another tech toy, not replacing much (yet)
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

My 60 year old mom loves hers, and she hated using computers before. In my opinion, Ipads are ideal for people who are not computer friendly/savy such as old peeps, broads & republicans. Sent from iPhone5
    Just fucking point it and shut up

I have no use for one but I can see of a few:

1) My buddy has one and he commutes 1.5 hours each way into NYC on the train. He uses it to read the times, watch movies/TV shows, play games and listen to tunes, etc. He likes it as it is lighter than a laptop and bigger than an iphone. He likes it for air travel also.

2) If you were a photog, graphic designer, or something where you needed a slick platform to show off your works, ideas etc. to clients it could be nice. You can pass it around a meeting, people can play with it and the screen is really high quality.

It clearly is mostly a toy/extra type of gadget that doesn't replace anything really but can be useful in certain places. Still too $$$ IMHO though....

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post

with the latest iOS update, you can now print

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    I'm thinking of getting one soon. I'd like to have my portfolio available for client presentations, along with all the other great stuff it does.

I don't have a lap top. Hearing people here saying why not just get a mac book makes me stop and think a bit. I don't want to sink $500 or more into a product that won't work as well as something similarly priced that may be more versatile.

Gameface, any thoughts on the two ?? Any experience with both ??

My business partner has an i pad and loves it.
    If you are on a Mac, the Macbook air is way more appealing than the current iPad configs on a $ basis - $1k for a full functional machine. If/when the iPad drops in price it'd get more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    with the latest iOS update, you can now print
    To only 10 or so printers at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    If you are on a Mac, the Macbook air is way more appealing than the current iPad configs on a $ basis - $1k for a full functional machine. If/when the iPad drops in price it'd get more appealing.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking sorta. I don't work on a lap top cause my CAD system needs the power of a strong desktop station, so I really will only use it as a presentation device (which it does very nicely) my business partners portfolio is very easy to preview show to prospective clients, music library, etc.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    2) If you were a photog, graphic designer, or something where you needed a slick platform to show off your works, ideas etc. to clients it could be nice. You can pass it around a meeting, people can play with it and the screen is really high quality.
    I see this use as really limited. If you were in a meeting with a group of people, then a projector would be a much better idea. Passing around an Ipad would be stupid, people waiting on other people to look and play... Most companies already have projectors and screens anyway.

The only time which this use would work is in an instance like bumping into someone on an elevator and showing them your work... Does that happen enough to warrant a $500 device, or a $50 kinkos job?
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The iPad 3G is significantly more useful than the Wi-Fi only version.

It essentially works like a large smartphone, which at first sounds lame, but in reality the iPad screen is infinitely more useful than a smartphone size screen. I use mine a lot for travel- I can whip it out on the street standing up and search for directions to where I want to go in a matter of seconds. Try that with a laptop or your phone. Sitting down it takes up no table space, so you can use it at the tiny breakfast bar without having to use up a larger table and risk spilling something on it. I've downloaded onto it all the books I would never imagine bringing otherwise. Plus I have backgammon, chess, and other games I would otherwise not bring along. Battery is a champ. More durable than a laptop- no moving parts to damage. Typing is slow but not too bad.

It is not designed to replace your laptop. In fact I bet Apple purposefully left out a bunch of features - usb port, larger drive, more productivity software- so that it would not competer too much with the MBP. They dont want you to choose, they want you to buy both. Its by no means perfect but I do believe its a game changer with the touchscreen, portability and 3G access.

Quote Originally Posted by gameface View Post
    i usually only need one

Quote Originally Posted by rcampo View Post
    It essentially works like a large smartphone
    they realized that the phone part of the smart phone was the least useful

Of course. You'd look pretty damn silly holding that thing up to your ear and talking into it.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    Of course. You'd look pretty damn silly holding that thing up to your ear and talking into it.
    does googlevoice or skype work with the earbud/mike from like an iPhone?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Haters gonna hate. You guys skip this post; not looking to argue...

My iPad sits on my coffee table most of the time & I use it to do a couple of things:
    - surf teh interwebs while watching television
    - stream music to my stereo while sitting on the sofa, or having people over
    - streaming photos to my tv when I want to see 'em on a big screen.

I also take it traveling, in which case it's a hell of a lot better than some cheap ass tv in the back of the seat in front of me.
    - reading books is really, really elegant
    - music, videos, podcasts and games burn lots of time
    - city guides, maps, making hotel/ travel reservations when on the go is way nicer than doing it on a phone (yes, I have apps for my phone that do this).
    - some great apps.
    - great standby/ run time allows me to take it easy on my phone.

I know you can do most/ all/ more of this stuff on other devices, but the interaction design is refined, and what I want from a personal device- If I want to dick around in Linux or debug why shit's not working I'll use a computer at work...
    imz-design
    industrial design • new product development
    http://www.imz-design.com/

Quote Originally Posted by skiwithcharlie View Post
    Ipads are ideal for people who are not computer friendly/savy such as old peeps, broads & republicans.

I laughed... Fkn broads.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

One thing that is cool, is that with the 3g version you can get internet anywhere like a smartphone can, but not have an annoying tiny screen. I could see myself sitting on the train and being able to get internet being nice. Something a laptop can't do.

It would be sweet if it had a microphone, so you could use it to skype ect. I thought skype was going to be a good idea to put on a ipod touch, but no mic makes it utterly useless
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

Quote Originally Posted by skiwithcharlie View Post
    Ipads are ideal for people who are not computer friendly/savy such as old peeps, broads & republicans.
    I just made a scene in the library.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DHogg View Post
    Something a laptop can't do.
    3G dongles + dataplans are pretty durn cheap these days.

aside from the gigantic ass "look at me I've an iPad" I'm at a loss why I can't get directions on my smartphone. I generally do.

another thing i like about it is i know i can hand it to someone and they know it wont get screwed up with a virus/spyware/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    does googlevoice or skype work with the earbud/mike from like an iPhone?
    Originally the greed nazis at Apple decided that they wanted to convince sorority sisters to buy and Iphone and an Ipad by making it tough to use the Ipad as a phone. That said, since then they might have realized they are being retarded and put forward facing cam and mic on it....
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by RXPXSkier View Post
    another thing i like about it is i know i can hand it to someone and they know it wont get screwed up with a virus/spyware/etc.
    But like any other apple product, if dropped once you will receive a free version of the spiderweb ap.
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by gameface View Post
    if the ipad has dropbox, this little trick should work. I use it on my iphone. It can be a little buggy at times, but seems to work pretty consistently.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/print...-phones/17827/

scroll down to the comments to see a work around for mac users.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    But like any other apple product, if dropped once you will receive a free version of the spiderweb ap.
    same can be said about anything with a screen. it hits the right way its gonna crack.