Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Classic Mountain Bikes: The Retro Thread

Museum of Mountain Bike Art & Technology

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/bike_list.html

My first real bike was one of these but it had a Judy and no disc brake

I had one of these in black:

Lusted for one of these at one point too:

What did you ride "Back in the day"?
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Know it was a diamond back, know it was '86 or '87, know it wasn't top end, so it was prolly something like this:

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

!!!!!

I used to sell Manitou Bikes! I had on like the on pictured with blue Paul cross-stops, blue ano AC racing cranks and White hubs. A guy on Maui has it in his shop, I should go take a pic.

1st bike- 1984 Ritchey Ascent EX
    2cd. Fisher Supercaliber. Still on Maui. Blue custom Paint. The guy who bought it still brings it in every few years for cable/tires
    3rd Klein Pinnacle. I sold Klein all through the neon yellow and green years. Koski "dura-track" forks, cook bros. cranks
    4th Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper, rigid forks, xt, Cook cranks

I was at the Interbike show when Paul Turner fisrt displayed the rockshox. Shared a booth with Dia-comp.

I have lost track of the FSR's I have had since the old days. First bike with a shock was a Merlin, sold those for a few years, toured the factory in boston once when it was across the parking lot from Fat Chance.

Man, I am starting to feel old.... I will try to dig up some old pics for the thread.

Great idea!

Back in the day I was a bridgestone man.
    edit: not mine...

These days I'm commuting on a 1989 Rockhopper comp

mine:
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 11-28-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Not my first mountain bike, but MOMBAT had the 1991 Specialized S-Works Steel. Full first generation XTR and lots of titanium, she was a sweet ride.

Fischer CR-7 - Aluminum front end with a bolt-on steel rear.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Awesome thread.

Had an older 3D Rover a few years earlier than this one.... wish i'd never gotten rid of that bike.

First full suspension was one of these:

Rubber disk for a rear shock = worst idea ever. Broke 2 seatstays in 2 years.

I remember my buddy had a banshee scream with monsters in like 01, like 55 lbs I was drooling

-A guy brought in an old Nishiki full suspension last week for a tune-up. What a feeble stack of tubes. I did what I could, cables, housing, Cantilever pads, chain...
    When you squeeze the rear brake the whole triangle would go up and down 3/4"

I called him and told him it was ready, but, man, don't ride this too hard at all.

He bought a new 29" Stumpy Comp! was super-stoked, once he gets used to it we are going to take him riding.!

Here is a gem I worked on recently, it still has the sticker I put on it when I assembled it in I guess 1989...

I still have this 91 Serotta Tmax with Columbus bi-ovalized steel.....and I still love to ride it
    picador

My first real mountain bike, which I still have:

1993 Specialized M2 Stumpjumper -- came with much different parts than it now has. The fork was the SBI version of the RockShox Mag21.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Back in the day I was a bridgestone man.
    Is that a '92? I've got a '93 just like this one in the garage:

Over time it's been bastardized with V brakes and a front shock. Two weekends ago my buddy was kicking my ass on the uphills with it. Embarassing.

1978-Homemade Schwinn Excelsior
    1983-Fisher Pro Caliber
    1989-Bridgstone MB1

I just mounted the MB1 up with a pair of Nokian Extremes for ice.

1980 - stripped down Workman "Paper Boy Bike"
    1986 - Trek Antelope
    1993 - Cannondale F600 (still have it and currently being rebuilt)

Alpinestar Al-mega XT, I have the steel frame, (one size too small) but always lusting after the Ti version.

'86 Diamondback Curaca. Couldn't afford the coolest new thing- index shifting. 24" wheels because 26 was pretty big for my size. Still my townie.

If any of you ever find yourself in Crested Butte, a trip to the Mountain Bike Museum and Hall of Fame is worth a trip to see some of these old bikes and parts in person.

Had a black DBR Vertex TR in 16 inch with a Manitou 4.

Wish I still had the frame, broke the downtube in half jumping off loading docks onto picnic table, missed the table, crushed the tube.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Quote Originally Posted by mrryde View Post
    Museum of Mountain Bike Art & Technology

http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/bike_list.html

My first real bike was one of these but it had a Judy and no disc brake

I love the zaskars, I would have killed for one in my MBaction days. I ended up on an outpost though at that age.

I have a Schwinn s[9six] frame lying around that I plan on building up at some point. I've got a few parts for it but don't really have the time or money to finish it at the moment. Hopefully when I'm done with it it will look something like this when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

K2 Proflex 5000, (image not of my bike, but it looks just like this) Actually my second bike, first was steel. canti brakes, no suspension. I actually rode the K2 until last summer.

Pro-flex do not count as retro, just as unridable

I made the mistake of selling them for a very short while when they had the yellow cheddar cheese block for suspension that would melt. No solvent yet discovered would get that gunk off the frames. We used to cut a piece of seatpost to replace the shocks with and make 'em hardtails!

My first two 'real' bikes:

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Extra points for quill stems.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

1994 bontrager race frame. w/ custom 1" judy 100 fork w/ risse internals.

similar to:

1998 specialized m2 s-works w/ z-1 105mm fork

similar to:

1997 fat chance yo eddy m/l w/ IF fork

similar to:

1993 fat chance TI yo eddy w/ IF 1" fork

similar to:

1999 ibis mojo sanoma county. L

2001 moots ybb. hated that thing.

2001 spot ti 26'' singlespeed. sickest bike ever.

fun thread.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

1988? Trek 820 with Exage mountain components, bent a few rigid forks and put a cheap RST on it, rode it a while longer and sold it

1995? Pro-Flex Attack. Purple, went through a few swingarms and 3 shocks, as many anodized purple components as I could get my hands on...rode until the head tube-downtube weld started to crack

1992? Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo kept it fully rigid, rode the snot out of the trails in Texas with it, then it got slicks and did commuter duty until the seat tube broke, now the poor broken frame is rusting away in the backyard
    Like this one but orange:

then hopped a decade and a half to my 2006 575, which is getting dangerously close to retro with all the welds/gussets and torquoise paint

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Pro-flex do not count as retro, just as unridable

I made the mistake of selling them for a very short while when they had the yellow cheddar cheese block for suspension that would melt. No solvent yet discovered would get that gunk off the frames. We used to cut a piece of seatpost to replace the shocks with and make 'em hardtails!
    2 stacked hockey pucks made an adequate replacement elastomer when mine was retired to commuter duty (and before crack developed between the head tube and down tube)
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

Not counting bmx bikes? I still have my ’79 Fat Chance made out of reynolds 531

Check out those graphics

Pressed sealed BB

Thin curvy brake stay and an old fashioned pump stay stolen from a road bike top tube

/geek