Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    I think the HD is still the right choice. It's gonna be versatile with multiple shocks and links and stiff. Hopefully it holds up and doesn't find rocks.

You gotta figure that they don't have too many major issues with the carbon frames or they would go out of bidness on warranties or it'd get all over the internet. And if they told people to pound sand that would hit the internet too. You are gonna get a hookup on it, and if you have issues they will very likely take care of you. Go for it.

Unless you are really Carbon skeert (which is understandable) then well... Aluminum Nomad or BlurLT, or a new Tracer for your continued Intense boner.

Didn't know about the new Bandit. That'll be a fun bike but I think I'd go for a Spitfire if I were shopping in that class. Canadian Cross Country : )

Personal opinion but the HD rides like a clunker-too long of a wheel base to feel like an xc bike on climbs and the wheels don't feel like they navigate in the same plane giving it an uninspired feel on descents. New Tracer is awesome, and if you want to try something outside of VPP get a ventanna. X5 is sweet and if you want to ride it like a big bike get the big shock.

Anyone else been on the Pivot Mach 5.7?

Impressions?

I am a fan of the current dw-link and am looking for a shorter travel whip(5"ish), but with slack steering (67ish) and low bb (13"). Maybe I should take a number eh?

Spitfire? Is it efficient?

Winning a Super D race, like winning any bike race, has much more to do with the rider's fitness, skill and race strategy than the bike chosen to ride.

The smartest thing is to get a bike that optimizes your strengths and minimizes your weaknesses... in SuperD.

For most riders, that weakness is fitness, pedaling fitness and climbing strength. The easiest way to deal with that is a lighter bike, especially lighter rolling weight (tires/tubes/wheels), and to not pretend you're a tough guy with your gearing. The local Cat 1 cyclocross honch might be able to do a 1x9 with a 36t ring and an 11-26 cassette, but if you're pushing your bike when you could be pedaling it, you're losing seconds.

Oh, and don't forget to show you're as trendy as a fixie hipster by DEMANDING slack HA, low BB, and cable routing for a dropper post. That's about the same thing, in 2011 lingo, as demanding 24" wheels and the ability to run a 10" travel fork, 2001 lingo.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Oh, and don't forget to show you're as trendy as a fixie hipster by DEMANDING slack HA, low BB, and cable routing for a dropper post. That's about the same thing, in 2011 lingo, as demanding 24" wheels and the ability to run a 10" travel fork, 2001 lingo.
    Only trendy with the TGR crowd really, IMO. It's something a small contingent of riders have been asking for for years, and only now are there a very few options.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Only trendy with the TGR crowd really, IMO. It's something a small contingent of riders have been asking for for years, and only now are there a very few options.
    You ever been to san francisco?

You ever see the random homeless guy sitting in his own piss blathering emphatically about JFK's assassination, or how government weed™ is laced with mind control substances?

You just engaged that guy in a conversation.

Good luck my friend. Good luck.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

lolz... it's all about the hit-and-run commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    Winning a Super D race, like winning any bike race, has much more to do with the rider's fitness, skill and race strategy than the bike chosen to ride.

The smartest thing is to get a bike that optimizes your strengths and minimizes your weaknesses... in SuperD.

For most riders, that weakness is fitness, pedaling fitness and climbing strength. The easiest way to deal with that is a lighter bike, especially lighter rolling weight (tires/tubes/wheels), and to not pretend you're a tough guy with your gearing. The local Cat 1 cyclocross honch might be able to do a 1x9 with a 36t ring and an 11-26 cassette, but if you're pushing your bike when you could be pedaling it, you're losing seconds.

Love the Crud cameos. They finally turn back on the WiFi at Starbucks, big boy? Did you unfriend me on Facebook?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

rontele = facebutthurt
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

No such thing

I don't believe there's such a thing, Particle. The spectrum of so-called super d races is such that one bike won't do it all. Look at the three courses that we have both raced: Sundance, Wolf Creek and Brundage. I raced your Cannondale at all three and it was really only optimally suited for Sundance. Had I run a lighter, stiffer bike at Wolf, I think I would have placed better because of all of the short, sprinty climbs and total lack of anything tech. I definitely needed a bigger bike at Brundage...you guys running big bikes did consistently better. And it was perfect at Sundance...pedally but no actual climbs, a few chill features to air and lots of cornering. I crushed everyone on big bikes and was beaten by a pro on a similar set up. You're chasing the white Buffalo, my man.

Having blathered all that, I think my Trance with a Talas and optional, lighter wheel set could be close.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Love the Crud cameos. They finally turn back on the WiFi at Starbucks, big boy? Did you unfriend me on Facebook?
    Oooh! Was that weak humor, condescension, dismissal, and arrogance in one post?

Grand fucking slam!

"Cameo"?

What, as in "you're not a regular poster, not part of the online community"?

I didn't know you missed me so. Attraction-repulsion is such a tantalizing cocktail, isn't it?

Particle, seriously: you don't know what bike will work best for you?

Man, you really find a whole new level about this time of year.

While snide and a bit dusty I typically really appreciate your Devils Advocate take on most things. I wish there was a nice bear-hug emoticon I could send for you : )

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    Man, you really find a whole new level about this time of year.

While snide and a bit dusty I typically really appreciate your Devils Advocate take on most things. I wish there was a nice bear-hug emoticon I could send for you : )
    will this do? (HI CHARWEE)

come join me, rideit, and all the other retarts at f88me. Now under new management!

J-man picked a bike like 6 months ago. Rather than criticizing his indecisiveness and the bike type, you should be casting doubt on his decision. I don't think he's built it yet, so maybe you guys still have time to talk him into selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    I don't believe there's such a thing, Particle. The spectrum of so-called super d races is such that one bike won't do it all. Look at the three courses that we have both raced: Sundance, Wolf Creek and Brundage. I raced your Cannondale at all three and it was really only optimally suited for Sundance. Had I run a lighter, stiffer bike at Wolf, I think I would have placed better because of all of the short, sprinty climbs and total lack of anything tech. I definitely needed a bigger bike at Brundage...you guys running big bikes did consistently better. And it was perfect at Sundance...pedally but no actual climbs, a few chill features to air and lots of cornering. I crushed everyone on big bikes and was beaten by a pro on a similar set up. You're chasing the white Buffalo, my man.

Having blathered all that, I think my Trance with a Talas and optional, lighter wheel set could be close.
    I agree there - there's no such thing as a typical Super D course, so the ideal bike tends to be different race to race. Hell, I've raced Sundance on my rigid singlespeed while I wished for a bigger gear sometimes, you don't need any suspension on that course. And the one Angelfire course without the climbing is well suited to a DH bike.

So Particle - for Super D racing, you can easily justify a quiver of several bikes. Get shopping!
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Really, we're still talking about this?

Yes of course there is no typical course... all I wanted in the original post was a bike that could more or less handle what my Slopestyle could, but be about 5-6 lbs lighter, and pedal more efficiently. I didn't like being held back by such a DH-oriented rig. Mission accomplished with the HD (or so I hope). Unfortunately it is still a "bike in a box," just waiting for a new headset and I'll be able to get it built.

Oh and if I do win the lottery, I will definitely be adding a Yelli Screamy and a TR250 to round out the Super D/fun bike stable. Definitely.

The horse is long since dead, but we'll still yammer on about it.

One frame...two extremes on the set up.

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2393218&postcount=510

http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2472242&postcount=71

30lbs coild and coil

25 lbs air and air.

If someone really wants to be competitive in Super D they either need multiple bikes, or a bin of parts and the ability to set up the bike for the range of courses.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I don't think he's built it yet,
    Well that part is obvious since he hasn't posted about ripping the rear end off of it in a corner yet
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

ohhh snap.

I give it two rides before it snaps in half. Shitty cell phone pic:

C'mon, headset! Got my post in this week:

Sweet carbon bike..........taint spanker...............you're 40 now, you know that right?

That thing looks sick man. I'm sure you'll dig it. I know it looks darker than that flash photo would imply so I'll just say it again......black on blue.....best color combo ever.

You don’t want to keep second guessing your decision now that it's sitting in your house?

That frame looks beautiful! Can't wait to see it built!
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Taint spanker... awesome. Hadn't heard that one yet. Yeah I'm on the downhill slide of my 30s so I guess it's the right bike for me now. UGH.

And yes the frame looks darker in person... so sick. Once built I'll post up some glam shots. And then some shots of it covered in dirt.

Heh, I can't give you any shit about a carbon frame since I'm in that club now too.

I've managed to make it through 3 rides now though without breaking it in half.

for those buying carbon frames are you planning on keeping them long term? ie 3-4 years.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

If I wasn't on the shop employee flip-it plan I would ride my NomadC into the ground