Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Guidebook: Freeride in the Alps

so this post here might people see as advertising. yes it is! but sure i just wanted to say thank you to some parts of this community who helped to realize this book project. especially the snow for the euros contributors

thanks to all authors, photogs and all those other people i skied with the past few years.

PowderGuide: Die besten Freeride-Gebiet der Alpen

some more preview-pics here.

available in german only (actually) in all bookstores and mountain sportshops in the german speaken regions.
    34,80 Euro
    328 pages, 40 resorts, 200 routes with topografic maps and quality pics.
    size: 25*20cm, around 1,5-2kg (so maybe also usefull as a weapon against wild animals)

"a note from the editors company: if you have problems to get the book via your local supplier or book store (... or amazon), we will deliver the book directly & worldwide.
    just place your order at the "Panico Alpinverlag" homepage www.panico.de or send us an email. in both cases we will do the invoicing with paypal. delivery will cost 4 euros in europe, outside europe 12 euros. cu in the alps - ron"
    Last edited by Marius; 12-17-2010 at 06:41 AM.

Gut gemacht Marius.

Congratulations (and thank you that you left out some of the best spots ).

That statement is definitely not true (at least as yet):

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    available in german only (actually) in all bookstores and mountain sportshops in the german speaken regions.
    You should kick the Panico people into their arses to better their marketing activities ...

does it, as the german-only publication might lead one to believe, just cover the eastern and northern aspect of the alps? sort of irrelevant for me anyway until they publish in english and/or french, but certainly it would be more appealing (to me) if FR, CH and IT are all featured...

either way, cool project. nice one
    Today ridicule, tomorrow really cool.

http://www.left-collective.com/
    FOLLOW YOUR OWN WAY

are you planning to release an english or italian version?

however nice project!

Stay away from the states, don't sell out our stashes with your funny leather shoes and fanny bags! I'm kidding, book looks very cool, but really stay out of the states.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Stay away from the states, don't sell out our stashes with your funny leather shoes and fanny bags!
    Especially the tons of hidden ones in Arizona, right?

when is this shipping? i ordered the day you posted in snow for the euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Fly View Post
    does it, as the german-only publication might lead one to believe, just cover the eastern and northern aspect of the alps? sort of irrelevant for me anyway until they publish in english and/or french, but certainly it would be more appealing (to me) if FR, CH and IT are all featured...

either way, cool project. nice one
    there are resorts all over the alps included, from germany (one or two), austria, slovenia (one), italy switzerland and france.

freak~[&]

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Fly View Post
    sort of irrelevant for me anyway until they publish in english and/or french
    Does that mean this deterres non-german speaking folks from venturing off-piste?

Glad to hear it does NOT include Slovakia though..

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Stay away from the states, don't sell out our stashes with your funny leather shoes and fanny bags! I'm kidding, book looks very cool, but really stay out of the states.
    oh my. god. this comes from the country where everybody asks EURO TRIP: CHAMONIX OR VERBIER! you don't seem to care about little gems anyway.

semi-on topic: included in this book are of course the best man-love resorts in the alps. this little extra comes in a black leather cover. marius is proud to have done all the research himself

and I actually like the little maps in the book. well done..... except that there are no stashes from arizona.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

you like the maps of the french resorts the most, no?

and i think the book would be really great for the VERBIER OR CHAMONIX?!?? crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Does that mean this deterres non-german speaking folks from venturing off-piste?

Glad to hear it does NOT include Slovakia though..

the reason might be that there is no part of the alps in slovakia

freak~[&]

Good work. That book looks cool... Shame its not in English or French.

Could I work out the routes just from the maps ?
    Perhaps with a pocket dictionary and / or iphone running google translate

Danke Marius. Welche Skigebiet sind in dem Buch? 200 hundred!? Haben Sie eine Liste? Jede Skigebiet in Italien? Wo kann ich das Buch in München kaufen?

(Just practicing a bit of German, as I will be in Arlberg region in February, and it's been a while since I've spoken the language. )
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    (Just practicing a bit of German, as I will be in Arlberg region in February, and it's been a while since I've spoken the language. )
    I've been told they don't speak German in the Arlberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I've been told they don't speak German in the Arlberg.

Son of a bitch! That's it, I'm learning Polish!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Looks nice. Well done.

Powder Guide arrived at home!
    Last edited by Franz Klammer; 12-06-2010 at 01:24 AM.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

@ripz: did you receive one already? if not I'll send you guys one on friday when i'm in switzerland again. just send me your shipping adress (this: "somewhere in L. with view on the lake and a nice bbq" from my memory wont be enough information for the swiss post!

glad you like it. dont know if we will translate it in english. we'd need a publishing company....italian is not in the pipeline.
    @toadman and others: 40 resorts. full of man love in the whole alps. supteplague approved. we tried to get the best spots from everywhere, not only the german speaken ones.
    i dont think you wont get the main points if you have no clue about the german language. but sure, you can take the maps, take google and a topomap and you will see where you have to go (more or less). the maps are not that detailled anyway. 100 1:25.k topomaps in a book are not really realistic i think its better then in most other guidingbooks. freak has to explain why.

see you out there

does anyone have tipps for Arizona? heard it's a good place for freeriding. would love to write a book about the best spots... any ideas?
    (ok, just kidding...i rather go to China. people are more friendly over there.)

Ahhh..... Fredrik Schenholm took your front cover photo
    Bumped into him when he visited Scotland last Feb - he did amazing job, serious camera skills and very nice guy.

http://schenholm.com/

Book looks good. I am only kidding a little on the google translate.
    Seems easier than learning german!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Especially the tons of hidden ones in Arizona, right?
    Exactly, Arizona is the next untapped free riding ski mecca about to break out.

Quote Originally Posted by Marius View Post
    @ripz: did you receive one already? if not I'll send you guys one on friday when i'm in switzerland again. just send me your shipping adress (this: "somewhere in L. with view on the lake and a nice bbq" from my memory wont be enough information for the swiss post!
    mine arrived yesterday. i thumbed thru most of it and it looks very nice. incredible photos, lots of slutting, well done! cool to see klar and freak as contributors (i didn't recognize anyone else). the german is pretty tough though with all the specialized mountaineering type talk. it would be cool to see this in engrish in the future.
    Last edited by Ripzalot; 12-08-2010 at 03:56 AM.

there are at least knut (lenzerheide&davos) and bury (arlberg, allgäu and garmisch) who post here kinda regularly. some others might be members on tgr too...

freak~[&]

Great book - something that's been missing on my bookshelf for years. I like the routes and spots you selected - not revealing secret hot-spots that are too small for the crowds, but still providing the more advanced routes and info that would otherwise take considerable effort to acquire when getting to a new spot.

@ripz: good to hear. think the reprint was finished. should be a good way to learn german for ya

Quote Originally Posted by herr_stoiber View Post
    Great book - something that's been missing on my bookshelf for years. I like the routes and spots you selected - not revealing secret hot-spots that are too small for the crowds, but still providing the more advanced routes and info that would otherwise take considerable effort to acquire when getting to a new spot.
    thats what we wanted to do. for detailles infos there are all those other infos like books, and maps.
    "give ideas, have a look at the main infos, dream, re-read details, and ski it".